Orionids

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Anybody else watching? I saw two this morning, one at 0340 and another at 0522. Both left bright trails across 1/4 to 1/3 of the sky that lasted several seconds. Lots of smallish blips in between. 21 degrees at my place this morning, about 3 weeks early for average first frost and we got a hard freeze already. Coffee tasted better this morning.

I have looked this morning and saw a couple, short and bright.
This is normal for Orionids.
For those not familiar with the night sky, Orion (The Hunter) is probably the most recognizable and easiest to find constellation in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. It is from the area of Orion, that most of the meteors of this shower emanate, but not always all of them. Of course, the meteors aren't really coming from Orion..it's just a convenient place in the sky to see them, as they skim our atmosphere, with Orion a distant backdrop many light years behind where we see the meteors.

Orion is instantly recognized because of the 3 bright stars perfectly aligned in a row. Orion's belt.
Orion itself is a very large constellation that stretches across your full field of vision and is usually portrayed as a hunter with a bow in his left arm/hand or as a hunter with a club over his right shoulder and an animal (to be clubbed to death) at the end of his left arm.

Walk outside. Right now ('now' being 0530 when I started typing this) , turn & face south. Tilt your head back and Orion will be almost straight overhead, tho always a little to the southwest of directly overhead.
Orion rises in the East/Southeast, and marches across the sky to the West/slightly northwest. The bright star Betelgeuse makes up the edge of his right shoulder. Most outdoorsmen learn early in life to know where the 7 sisters are (Pleiades) and know they 'point' East, and they will be to your right, and just to the West of Orion.
Here is Orion depicted as a bow hunter. It is not to scale and this illustration is typical in that it omits other constellations that are in the same view. (Taurus (The Bull) is a constellation that lies between Orion and Pleiades) Orion and Pleiades will be somewhat farther apart than what this picture indicates.

orion.jpg
Betelgeuse is bright enough, that a few minutes ago, as the sun was already turning the Eastern horizon red, Betelgeuse was still visible overhead, and is usually one of the last stars visible before sunrise.

This meteor shower peaks tonight (thursday night) into friday morning with the best viewing after midnight.

You should volunteer at a planetarium. I've only been to one, about 1976 when we lived in Houston for a few months. I still remember it well.

One thing watching these events will reinforce. Just how high up our atmosphere extends and/or how small the fiery particles are that we are seeing.

The could call these the Pleiades meteor shower from what I'm seeing this morning. All have radiated from that area more so than Orion and all have been moving toward the Western horizon.

I'm standing here looking at the stars in all their glory. These constellation names will not survive this wokeness.

The Leonids are tonight thru tomorrow morning. The Leonids are famous for occasionally producing meteor storms. In 1966, 1999 and 2001, the shower's rates exceeded 1,000 fireballs per hour. Best after midnight but... the Leonids this year aren't forecast to be anything spectacular. Avg 10-15 per hour.

Latest posts