Pine tree and grass experts

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
1. Will longleaf pine needles hurt cows if some is baled in with hay?

2. Is there any normal chemicals that are applied to Long leaf pines that are used for cone production that will hurt cows.

I have an opportunity to cut and bale Bahia/Bermuda grass in an orchard. It is basically weed free and thick as hair on dogs back. the guy that was supposed to do it this year didn't and I am going cut what they have not mowed next week and then next year should be able to get 3 cuttings off of it.

as far as the deal goes My neighbor has agreed to supply equipment and I supply fuel and string and we split 50/50

The only needles that can hurt cows are ponderosa pines. Causes abortions. An estensuon agent here did tell me that a pine needle can pierce the guy and cause hardware type problems, but have my doubts about that
Sounds like a good deal!

I would think that the cows would just pick through the hay and not eat the pine needles. I'm not sure what your question is about the chemical. Are you asking about herbicide that is used around the pines to prevent unwanted trees from growing? If so there are none that will hurt the cows.

Next year if you bale earlier you won't have a problem with the needles. They usually don't shed their needles until fall but they are shedding early this year. They will drop cones all year. Last year there was a big cone corp. I've had to pick up cones every time I mowed my yard this summer.

If you mow your hay in late summer before the needle drop you should be arable to bale the pine needles this winter and sale them to the landscapers.

DS the chemical question was about any herbicide, fungicide or insecticide that would be harmful. They are picking cones now so there are very few that actually fall. the fall baling will be between the rows of 3 yr old pines so needles really wont be a problem this year. the pines are checked rows at 30' spacing

kenny thomas":1t30jhfv said:
Many places they bale the longleaf needles and sell it for straw. Might not work there but you should check into it.
they do that here on the pines that are not seed trees- Picture if you will 80- 100 acres of grass with a pine tree every 30' and any direction you look they are in a row. there is also about a 40' to 50' area that goes around the whole orchard that has good grass and according to my gps its 1.5 miles

Latest posts