pinkeye, darnit!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lebepo7 said:
So what did the vet say?? How's the calf?

The vet said that if not pinkeye, then it's another form of infection -he seems to think it's pinkeye, but he hasn't been to my place to see it first hand. Either way, he approved of the Nuflor treatment. The calf is still strong and appears healthy, but the eyes are still blueish. The calf is definitely not blind, as it wouldn't let me get close with the mule yesterday evening. Everything is on hold now, though, just don't have the strength. Saturday my dad will come over and if she's getting worse, he'll treat her again.

cypressfarms":28bvwpxo said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":28bvwpxo said:
So what did the vet say?? How's the calf?

The vet said that if not pinkeye, then it's another form of infection -he seems to think it's pinkeye, but he hasn't been to my place to see it first hand. Either way, he approved of the Nuflor treatment. The calf is still strong and appears healthy, but the eyes are still blueish. The calf is definitely not blind, as it wouldn't let me get close with the mule yesterday evening. Everything is on hold now, though, just don't have the strength. Saturday my dad will come over and if she's getting worse, he'll treat her again.

Squirt some of that nuflor about 55 directly into its eyeball. See if that doesnt clear it up. Give it a shot of banamine or dex to to help with the swelling. I am still a big fan of pet milk it really works.

cowman30":20ow01e1 said:
Squirt some of that nuflor about 55 directly into its eyeball. See if that doesnt clear it up. Give it a shot of banamine or dex to to help with the swelling. I am still a big fan of pet milk it really works.

That's the plan if she doesn't improve by Saturday. I just don't have the strength to do it myself. My dad, whose "old school" himself, has used pet milk on more than one occasion. I have some banamine as well, and hopefully she'll start imroving soon.

Get your dad to take the calf to the vet, you cannot diagnose over the phone..Benign neglect will leave you with a blind calf if it isn't already. Just because you couldn't get near it on your ATV doesn't mean it's not blind it means the calf's not deaf..

hillsdown":2hjoa2qe said:
Get your dad to take the calf to the vet, you cannot diagnose over the phone..Benign neglect will leave you with a blind calf if it isn't already. Just because you couldn't get near it on your ATV doesn't mean it's not blind it means the calf's not deaf..

I should have explained it in more detail. I drive out almost everyday to check the cows with the mule. Yesterday my daughter came with me and I let her out and asked her to walk around the pasture(on the back side of the cows) and then back torward me. The calf's not blind, at least not yet. And the drainage has slowed a lot. Still doesn't necessarily mean that it's improving, but it's a lively one. I'll have a much better idea by Friday evening when I go out and look at her. If she still isn't showing signs of recovery, then dad will handle it Saturday.

cypressfarms":ohw38n7z said:
cowman30":ohw38n7z said:

That's the plan if she doesn't improve by Saturday. I just don't have the strength to do it myself. My dad, whose "old school" himself, has used pet milk on more than one occasion. I have some banamine as well, and hopefully she'll start imroving soon.

Cypress I still treat pinkeye the old fashion way. Get a tube of mastitis medicine (I prefer Quartermaster--this is actually dry cow treatment) and squirt a large dose of it under the eyelid. Take about a 6 inche square of old denim from a pair of jeans, apply sale barn glue around all the edges and apply it over the infected eye. This will keep bright sunlight, dust, weeds, etc. away from the eye. When the patch falls off the eye should be good to go.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3w06awvx said:
Txbred - we do the same thing using Tomorrow. We also give a shot of LA200 or similar product.

Yep..forgot the LA200...Tomorrow will probably work just as well...I just got "addicted" to Quartermaster long time ago. :)

cypressfarms":3ryv9k9y said:
hillsdown":3ryv9k9y said:

I should have explained it in more detail. I drive out almost everyday to check the cows with the mule. Yesterday my daughter came with me and I let her out and asked her to walk around the pasture(on the back side of the cows) and then back torward me. The calf's not blind, at least not yet. And the drainage has slowed a lot. Still doesn't necessarily mean that it's improving, but it's a lively one. I'll have a much better idea by Friday evening when I go out and look at her. If she still isn't showing signs of recovery, then dad will handle it Saturday.

If you can get close enough with a pump up sprayer and spray her in the eyes with a 10% clorox solution along with what ever round of antibotics you decide.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... rd=pinkeye

I didn't want to say it Caustic, but thats the fastest cure for pinkeye. If you catch is soon enough thats all you need to do.

Weird turn to this one. I found out about a week ago that my daughter had seen the said calf with poop all on it's face just before it got "sick". My guess is the actual cause was some sort of infection from the poop entering the eye. Maybe she was sucking from behind and got dumped on by moma?

The calf is doing fine now, both eyes are dark and the little heifer appears to have made a full recovery.

Some things are just plain weird.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1e5q2dmx said:
Also, cows with pink-eye in the winter is also normally IBR. Draw blood & test for it.

Cows in this climate can get pink eye any time. I have had two outbreaks this winter. I haven't dealt with pink eye in years.

i know the flies are starting with a bang early this year..... might be a bad year for it.. that calf looks like it has a cleft palate

backhoeboogie":28bmacsh said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":28bmacsh said:
Also, cows with pink-eye in the winter is also normally IBR. Draw blood & test for it.

Cows in this climate can get pink eye any time. I have had two outbreaks this winter. I haven't dealt with pink eye in years.
You are SOOOO right. We are so into winter, can't imagine people not having WINTER - so I forget. No pinkeye in our neck of the woods - always something else this time of year.

alacattleman":38vv5xve said:
i know the flies are starting with a bang early this year..... might be a bad year for it.. that calf looks like it has a cleft palate

The morning temperature was something like 26 degrees here over the weekend. I worked the cows later in the day because of the pink eye outbreak. They were all given pour on wormer. There were about 200 flies on the bull's back. Nothing else had flies. It must have been his body temp.

This may be a really bad year for flies again.

When you folks talk about squirting LA200 into the eye, do you do this one time or over a period of time?? How long does it take till you see improvement??

We give a shot of LA200, than squirt mastitis treatment (Today or Tomorrow) in the eye, than put a patch made out of jeans over eye (glued on top & sides, leave bottom open). Turn them out & don't think we have ever retreated. Patch eventually falls off.

CKC1586":3cjvu8is said:
When you folks talk about squirting LA200 into the eye, do you do this one time or over a period of time?? How long does it take till you see improvement??
depends on the responce, but then ive had good results with about any thing from using plain old salt water "in a pinch" to furox sprayed in the eye along with a antibiotic..

Latest posts