Pork tenderloin experiment

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":38brcsi9 said:
I've not done that exactly, but I have done plenty of Canadian Bacon with a loin.

I think may try 2 loins like what I mentioned and see how that goes. Do you have a Canadian bacon recipe I may try that as well?

skyhightree1":25k40tza said:
slick4591":25k40tza said:
I've not done that exactly, but I have done plenty of Canadian Bacon with a loin.

I think may try 2 loins like what I mentioned and see how that goes. Do you have a Canadian bacon recipe I may try that as well?

For both of you:
Can this be done with a store bought boneless tenderloin (think Smithfield) or do they have too much 'stuff' injected into them?
(I don't know that store bought tenderloins have had anything put in them..just asking)

greybeard":29yfmj6q said:
skyhightree1":29yfmj6q said:
slick4591":29yfmj6q said:

For both of you:
Can this be done with a store bought boneless tenderloin (think Smithfield) or do they have too much 'stuff' injected into them?
(I don't know that store bought tenderloins have had anything put in them..just asking)

A local butcher would be your better bet. Almost all Smithfield products are injected or "vacuum marinated" with salt and sugar or other flavorings.

Thanks..that is as I suspected. The only real local butcher shops left around here are Carne Carnicerías......Mexican meat markets. I'll have to see what they have.
Now, how do you do it...the Canadian bacon?

greybeard":341ii54d said:
skyhightree1":341ii54d said:
slick4591":341ii54d said:

For both of you:

Fresher the better but it can be done with store bought.

For a 4 Lbs. loin:

1 Gallon water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 oz pink salt (42 grams) also called cure No. 1
1 large bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised

Combine all ingredients except loin; simmer until all has been dissolved. Refrigerate until cold.

Place loin in the cure, weight it until submerged, and cured for 2 days.

Remove and rinse the loin, discarding the cure. Dry with towels. Place on a tray and refrigerate, 12 to 24 hours.

Smoke at 180 degrees F, until internal temp hits 150 degrees F, 2 to 3 hours.

Keeps in fridge for 10 days (longer if vacuum packed) and freezes well. It fries up nicely in short order at 1/8" thickness.

slick4591":18fd8qq6 said:
For a 4 Lbs. loin:

1 Gallon water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 large bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme

Combine all ingredients except loin; simmer until all has been dissolved. Refrigerate until cold.

Remove and rinse the loin, discarding the cure. Dry with towels. Place on a tray and refrigerate, 12 to 24 hours.

Keeps in fridge for 10 days (longer if vacuum packed) and freezes well. It fries up nicely in short order at 1/8" thickness.

Thanks

skyhightree1":3tg7j2im said:
Jogeephus":3tg7j2im said:
Sounds like you are wanting to make what's called lonzino - only cold smoking it.

Have you ever made it?

Yes. I usually make some each winter but I don't smoke it. With the smoke you'd be making something more similar to schinkenspeck only you'll be using a loin. This is pretty good and if your interested here is a recipe based on weight.

Salt, 2.3%
Cure #2, .25%
Garlic powder, .5%
BP, .3%
Turbinado sugar, .5%
Juniper berries
Edit - if you are using tenderquick use 2.55% of this for all your salt needs.

Crush your berries and mix all this together and rub the meat down and place in the fridge in a plastic bag for three weeks. Don't skimp on time because sugar is slow to penetrate so give it at least three weeks.

Once cured place in your smokehouse and set your fire and cold smoke it with a gentle smoke intermittantly over 4-5 days till you have about 40 hours smoke time and the meat is a golden color from the smoke.

Next let it hang in the smokehouse for six weeks or so.

Jogeephus":3qsvxo0n said:
skyhightree1":3qsvxo0n said:
Jogeephus":3qsvxo0n said:
Sounds like you are wanting to make what's called lonzino - only cold smoking it.

Have you ever made it?

Yes. I usually make some each winter but I don't smoke it. With the smoke you'd be making something more similar to schinkenspeck only you'll be using a loin. This is pretty good and if your interested here is a recipe based on weight.

Salt, 2.3%
Cure #2, .25%
Garlic powder, .5%
BP, .3%
Turbinado sugar, .5%
Juniper berries

Crush your berries and mix all this together and rub the meat down and place in the fridge in a plastic bag for three weeks. Don't skimp on time because sugar is slow to penetrate so give it at least three weeks.

Once cured place in your smokehouse and set your fire and cold smoke it with a gentle smoke intermittantly over 4-5 days till you have about 40 hours smoke time and the meat is a golden color from the smoke.

Thanks can I use it without juniper berries I really hate those things?

slick4591":r82igcq3 said:
For a 4 Lbs. loin:

1 Gallon water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 large bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme

Mines in bag curing is it bad if I let it stay in there for a week ? I will be busy with killing hogs and such and probably wont have time to smoke it till sunday

skyhightree1":2u19ne52 said:
Mines in bag curing is it bad if I let it stay in there for a week ? I will be busy with killing hogs and such and probably wont have time to smoke it till sunday

I don't have an answer for you, sky. I've always followed the directions. If it were me I'd get someone to pull it on the second day, rinse and let stand. At the end of the 24 hours you should be fine to wrap it in plastic wrap and smoke Sunday.

slick4591":nqi1yn2r said:
skyhightree1":nqi1yn2r said:

I don't have an answer for you, sky. I've always followed the directions. If it were me I'd get someone to pull it on the second day, rinse and let stand. At the end of the 24 hours you should be fine to wrap it in plastic wrap and smoke Sunday.

Ok thanks will do it

skyhightree1":2wseksj7 said:
Jogeephus":2wseksj7 said:
skyhightree1":2wseksj7 said:
Have you ever made it?

Salt, 2.3%
Cure #2, .25%
Garlic powder, .5%
BP, .3%
Turbinado sugar, .5%
Juniper berries

Sure, its your smokehouse and you are the captain and this is Merika - or what's left of it.

Jogeephus":1qbqonvq said:
skyhightree1":1qbqonvq said:
Jogeephus":1qbqonvq said:

Salt, 2.3%
Cure #2, .25%
Garlic powder, .5%
BP, .3%
Turbinado sugar, .5%
Juniper berries

Sure, its your smokehouse and you are the captain and this is Merika - or what's left of it.

True.. when you make salami do you use cultures?

Latest posts