Position of loader

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018":35gt062f said:
Worked on diesels for over 20 years and never seen any more problems than you would with a gas engine other than bleeding it out. People than Roosamaster pumps did it all the time because the pumps were known to leak fuel into the crankcase.

I've been running several different makes for years and years and paying to have them repaired too.

More importantly, I have to calculate NPSH on every kind of pump imagineable, for 29 years now.

I guess I can agree to disagree. Why do they engineer the shut off of the pumps if it is not required?

sometimes at night i will drive with the bucket up so that i can actually see with the lights on. sometimes when i am getting close to a fence i will lift it up so i can get as close as possible without tearing fence down.

Aaron":1mjb0rtk said:
Every once in a while, I see producers leave their tractor parked with the bucket/forks tilted and the cylinder arms exposed. Wondering what the reasoning for this is? We always leave the bucket flat on the ground with the cylinder arms fully concealed within the cylinders. I have seen a few people who have left the tractor sit for a while and the cylinder arms begin to rust. Maybe their is some advantage to leaving the arms exposed? Has always been a wonder to me. :?: :roll:

We generally leave the bucket of the loaders/front ends tilted so rain/snow don't accumulate in them.

rusty buckets are more easily repaired than rusty cylinders. once the chromes gone we know what happens. oil all over yer feed or hay. concretes trashed even if ya park it to go in fer dinner. oil aint cheap or convienent either. roll em in and save yerself some cash and grief later. specially if theyre outside. and outside in cold is worse

The oldest tractor I had was a International 460 Industrial that had been used in a chemical plant. I bought it from them when the wheels rusted out from the chemicals. I used it for a goodly number of years and always tipped the bucket down so the edge of the bucket served as a brake, the real brake had ceased functining years before. When i sold it the cylinders were still shiny with no rust. They'ld been rebuilt by me at least twice and I have no idea how much by the chemnical plant. I don;t recall ever seeing rusty cylinders unless the packing was shot to the point that they rubbed on the housing.
That said, I still park the tractor with the bucket tilted down to keep it from filling with snow/rain and so the rain will wash the gunk stuck inside the bucket out of it.

dun

As far as parking a loader common sense says put it on the ground take all the strain and the pressure off the tractor and the hydraulics.
Hydraulic hoses let go suuden. What if a kids playing under there?

If the cylinders are actually worked once in a while they'll hold enough of an oil film to prevent rust.
You'd have to park the thing for a long time, without use, to ever worry about rust on the cylinder rams.

Park the thing with safety in mind and as long as it's used regularly you won't need to worry about rust.
If i need to store one for an extended period of time i curl them up and use chains or some sort of locking mechanisms to keep them in position.

Saltydawg":1rru1i8s said:
If the cylinders are actually worked once in a while they'll hold enough of an oil film to prevent rust.
You'd have to park the thing for a long time, without use, to ever worry about rust on the cylinder rams.

The oil film is what gives me problems. Blow sand loves to stick to anything with oil, grease, etc. Hydraulic leaks are pretty easy to find with all the and blowing. Sand also cakes on the engine casing.

Funny how people stick grease on trailer balls in wet climates and out here we try to keep the chrome polished. I got grease on my G/N ball from a different trailer and didn't realize it. Sand got on the ball and I hooked onto my trailer. When I disconnected the chrome was totally wiped out.

Sand and dust are a real problem in the west.

same here in fl. still think the best way is all retracted. although i have my backhoe curled up under my barn cuz its too long to retact the cyls. just not practical.
some machines do sit til the chrome rots off em too. seen lots of that...

When I was over in Iraq and the middle east we had to deal with sand and hydraulic systems.

It's a pain for sure, but we found a supplier for those rubber accordian boots that you clamp over hydraulic cylinders. Similar to what you find on CV joints or motorcycle front shocks and they work real good.

In any event, if you have to store your loader bucket in a raised position there should be some sort of safety lock on it to prevent it from falling if something fails. Those things can come down so fast that there simply isn't time for a person to react and get out of the way.

curtis":3matqrfa said:
Around here they leave the loader up to help deter theft.

Back many moons ago when I was doing excavating work, we always parked the loaders in front of our trailers with the bucket/forks resting on top of the trailer or jobbox if we had to leave it overnight. It never caused any problems, but then we never left them exposed more than a weekend or so at a time.

MillIronQH":tlirwr48 said:
I was taught to put the loader on the ground and lower the arms on the three point if there was any thing on it and then after I shut the tractor off to wiggle the levers until all the pressure was relieved.Z

Me Too!!! And My Grandpa would chew some serious a$$ if one of his workers didn't shut the tractor off and then relieve all the pressure of front end and pto. Matter of fact most people where I am from do the same thing, including me cuz that's how I was taught.

dun":2wwxwve8 said:
tom4018":2wwxwve8 said:
backhoeboogie":2wwxwve8 said:
That can give you problems with many fuel injected diesels.

All diesels are injected. Why would that cause problems?

Maybe forgetting to turn the fuel on when you start it? I hate bleeding injectors

dun

Ya when I got my first job on a Turkey Farm, I was on an old Ford Spraying barns, and I ran it out of Gas.... Really made the farm boss made cuz he had to bleed em' :lol:

I didn't do that again!!! ;-)

Latest posts