Pre-weaning pics

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
We weaned calves this past weekend, about a month earlier than normal. I snapped a couple of pictures before calves came out of the pasture.

One last drink
IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3260-1.jpg

IMG_3315-1.jpg

Two bred heifers that happened to be standing decent when checking
IMG_3333-1.jpg

IMG_3323-1.jpg

They look good!
I need to wean some calves but I think I'll wate until it cools off a little.

Thanks for the comments! Here's a couple more...
IMG_3286-1.jpg

IMG_3275-1.jpg

IMG_3191-1.jpg

We weaned early due to the drought. The pastures dried out quick, and we had to start feeding hay over a month ago. But, even though we weaned a month earlier, our weight averages were only 20 lbs less than last year. This way, we figure we'll take some of the bottom end cows to the sale barn to make the hay and pasture last a little longer. If we'd get some rain, I think our warm season grasses would come back.

CP- Yes, that heifer is a pb Tarentaise.

BRG- That bull calf is out of a Norseman King grand daughter (she's out of a lesser known 5L bull a friend bought a while back) and our heifer bull (Nebula son), who I was also able to get a decent picture of.
IMG_3296-2.jpg

I say a little photo shop might be going on here.............just saying..............how do you get em that
good on that kind of ground........?

Kingfisher":21yh6hec said:
I say a little photo shop might be going on here.............just saying..............how do you get em that
good on that kind of ground........?

I'm not that good at doing any kind of photo work to make them look different than what they are. All I know how to do is fix the coloring/exposure on the picture, and I don't have photoshop. You have to keep in mind too, to get these pictures, I take 20-30 of each animal and select the best one.

Nebraska (where the cows are at currently) didn't really begin to suffer from the drought until June, the grass was sub par, but not dead like it is currently. We began feeding hay in July. The cows and calves didn't have to suffer through searching for food long, and the cows did a tremendous job of putting everything they had into their calves. Selecting for low maintenance animals also really helped in this drought to keep them in better condition.

They look outstanding considering the drought. Really like that cow in the first pic but the size of her calf isn't impressive like the Tar mama with off color bull calf in the 2nd set of pics. I assume the calves are pretty close in age?

I am impressed with how consistent your phenotype is across all 3 breeds!

Baldie Maker":1q4vgram said:
Best P093 ive seen. The ones ive seen were alittle finer boned than id like and lacked eye appeal.
I think he got the better genes from his mom, she's a soggy cow with a lot of bone for a RA.

MO_cows":n8p82mzj said:
They look outstanding considering the drought. Really like that cow in the first pic but the size of her calf isn't impressive like the Tar mama with off color bull calf in the 2nd set of pics. I assume the calves are pretty close in age?

I am impressed with how consistent your phenotype is across all 3 breeds!
That first heifer calf is right at 2 months younger than the bull calf.

Latest posts