Pressure cookers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a pressure cooker, but what can they do for me other than cook food quick? Can I can with them? I'm very uneducated so please folks enlighten me with what I can do with them.

Thank you :tiphat: ,
Alan

Alan":1lk7r3xn said:
I have an opportunity to buy a pressure cooker, but what can they do for me other than cook food quick? Can I can with them? I'm very uneducated so please folks enlighten me with what I can do with them.

Thank you :tiphat: ,
Alan

My grandmother uses it to can sometimes. I also hear it can be plumbed to make a makeshift still.

Thanks for the wise cracks :lol: :lol:

Now back to my question.

skyhightree1":2crp38m7 said:
lol I did answer your question... My grandmother uses a pressure cooker for canning lol

Thanks sky, I'm just trying to figure out if I would use it enough. I didn't think about Boston, and maybe should of.

Peas and butterbeans cooked in s pressure cooker will make your tongue beat your eyes out trying to get to them.

M5farm":33mgg8gw said:
Peas and butterbeans cooked in s pressure cooker will make your tongue beat your eyes out trying to get to them.

I agree.. Is the pressure cooker new? Since people have started canning more and going green the prices have shot up here you can't get one for under 110 bucks.

Alan

You can cook with them, you can indeed can with them, and you can make a heck of a stew in a very short time if you do it right.

Do not ask me, ask my wife - I just eat the stuff.

Buying one is not a problem.

If you buy two - then the world will be looking at you because they are best used "stacked" - removing/disarming the top one often will set off the bottom one - ruining your day.

Lots of great recipies on line for cooking and canning. Do not get a small one if you are planning to doany canning. Get one that will accept at least two layers of quart jars. And be sure to get the rack that holds those sealer jars in the pressure cooker.

Cheers

Bez

If you are going to can any meats or low acid foods you have to use a pressure cooker. When the garden is in, we put up all sorts of things in quart jars to use later in the year.

Alan":m8ycxplq said:
skyhightree1":m8ycxplq said:
lol I did answer your question... My grandmother uses a pressure cooker for canning lol

Thanks sky, I'm just trying to figure out if I would use it enough. I didn't think about Boston, and maybe should of.

No you shouldn't. You asked a question about a kitchen utensil. Carry on.

For me the main use is canning. To can low acid foods you have to use a pressure cooker. I'd like to try cooking with them more, but just haven't tried it much yet. The primary thing I use it for these days is canning venison, but would like to try some other meats.

my wife has a programable pressure cooker and she absolutely loves it....

my mother use to can stuff in a pressure cooker....

Thanks all for the responses, a complete answer to my needs. At this point I don't need one, too many other things to master such as not burning grilled cheese sandwhiches or hashbrowns. :oops:

Thanks again,
Alan

Alan":3hv40jlo said:
Thanks all for the responses, a complete answer to my needs. At this point I don't need one, too many other things to master such as not burning grilled cheese sandwhiches or hashbrowns. :oops:

Thanks again,
Alan
The water in the pressure cooker would keep those from burning

dun":260dlgb0 said:
Alan":260dlgb0 said:

Thanks again,
Alan
The water in the pressure cooker would keep those from burning

:lol: :lol: but will my wife eat a grilled cheese out of a pressure cooker? ..... Would you? .... I'll ship it over night to you for guaranteed pics of you dining on a grilled cheesed out of a pressure cooker. :lol:

Latest posts