PTO shaft

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Reaction score
I recently picked up a used tractor that runs great but leaks oil from around the rear splined shaft seal. I started taking out the 4 bolts holding on the seal housing and notice that the 6 spline pto shaft was sliding out with the seal housing. The shaft spins freely from the seal, so its not seized up or melted to the seal or anything like that. When the seal cover is bolted back up tight, there is no play in the shaft at all. So I take the bolts loose again and start to remove the splined shaft and decided to stop. I have never torn into a pto gearbox before and was wondering what the shaft was connected to (or sliding into) on the inside of the pto gearbox. Can I just pull the shaft all the way out, press the seal from the shaft and then slide the pto shaft back in the housing? Or if I remove the shaft, will something drop down in the housing (like a bull gear or something as on a regular gearbox) and then I'll never get it lined back up without removing the entire pto assembly/housing?
This is a Kubota if it makes any difference, but I would think that most older pto's work the same way.

Don't know about a Kubota on the older Deere's you have to split the case, as the pto shaft, slides into the hydrualic pump. There are two other o rings that you can tear up on the Deere's I have messed with. Tearing the other O rings leaves you with out Hydrualics. If the leak is not bad I would leave it alone and just add fluid, or buy a shop manuel.

I thought about the service manual, cheapest I found it online for was $178! It really only leaks a little less than an ounce or so each time I've used it, so I will probably just live with it. The thing hold 10.3 gallons of fluid, so I should be able to go awile before it ever gets dangerously low. The sight glass for checking the fluid level is located right next to the pto shaft, so it won't be a big deal to keep an eye on it. Either put a bucket under it or park it outside under cover. It's a smaller tractor and would be nice for mowing around a very tree heavy part of my property.

I've got a Service Manual for the L Series Kubota. If you have an L Series and can tell me GST or HST I can look it up for you.

Latest posts