Question about my John Deere 5093E

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
The last two times I've cut hay with my JD 5093E, I've encountered a problem...

I have a JD830 MoCo I cut hay with. It's a long hard day on the tractor, usually 8 hours straight with just a short lunch break. The last two times I've stopped for lunch on that day, my tractor would not start. It set there for 30-45 minutes, and then it cranked right up and I went on with my day. One of those times, I accidently killed it mid afternoon and experienced the same event. It would not start IMMEDIATELY (as in seconds) after I killed it. Took another 45 minutes before it would start again.

I've not noticed it overheating or anything per the gauges. Seems if I open the hood and let some air get to the engine, the interval before restarting is shorter.

What is also odd is I've bailed with it the next day after each of those events, and it has started without fail on each of those days. Granted, the bailing days are shorter and probably not as taxing on the tractor as the cutting day. The only starting problems I've had since I've owned the tractor have been on just those two days cutting hay on really hot days.

Any insight as to what might be going on with my tractor?

Never had that problem with my 5093E but I did with my 5510. Turns out it was the pto switch was sticking and from climbing in and out it would jiggle anough to reset.

how many hours are on it? I have a old case backhoe that does the same thing and took to shop they told me the motor was wore out and needed sleeves. I can run it for a good 2-3 hours then after that it loses power and cuts off not enough power to load itself on a trailer. Does yours loose power?

It's a nearly new tractor, I just bought it a few years ago. I'm guessing it has maybe 250 hours...

Yes, it cranks and cranks and cranks, but it just doesn't fire. After setting for a bit, it fires right up.

I believe it's getting vapor locked. The fuel cools the pump and head on a lot of diesel engines. Do you let the tractor cool down before you shut it down? We let ours run at 1,000 rpm's for 10 minutes at no load before we shut down so the oil, fuel and water cools to temperature, when were working it hard.

I also say its vapor locking. Usually a shot of either will make it start back. I have a older dodge truck that does the same thing from time to time.

I can understand the vapor lock idea. That is something I can deal with. I'll make a point to just let it idle on those intense work days instead of killing in quite so quick.

Thanks for the input.

Replace all the fuel lines, and I mean all. Happens to most newer JD's.

Sizmic

Had a car that would vapor lock. Old time mechanic told me to put several of the clip on clothes pins on the fuel line. It worked. I was suprised! Had another vehicle that the fuel line ran to close to the exhaust manifold. Put a piece of that hi temperature under hood insulation beween them and that solved the problem.

u are supposed to let the turbo chargers cool off before shutting them down. if not u take chance of the turbo coking up and ruining the bearings. read the owners manual. the only engine that I know of that doesn't require a cool down for the turbos is the ford ecoboost. I understand that they are water cooled and that water continues to siphon thru them until they cool off

Algea in tank was problem I had ,it would run half day then quit,it was a new tractor.

Algea in tank was problem I had ,it would run half day then quit,it was a new tractor.

Latest posts