ranch/farm jobs?

Help Support CattleToday:

why dont you sell the house and condo and buy you a place of your own instead of doing the work for someone else? do you own the house and condo or do you have a mortgage on them? there is inexpensive land in most states if you dont require living close to big cities and cn do a little fixing up on the place. You will find out like most of us who are self employed that insurance will be your biggest expense, especially with 2 little kids.

Brandonm2":bcsp6y2u said:
Brute 23":bcsp6y2u said:
Brandonm2":bcsp6y2u said:
I hate to be negative too; but here in the South we can get unskilled day labor as needed for $8 an hour without providing a house or insurance. A trailer, water, and ~$16000 a year hires a good Mexican, If you want to go all the way up to $25,000 a year, a house, a truck, utilities, insurance, and a freezer full of goat/venison generally buys a veteran hand or an Animal Science graduates who grew up on a farm and has more experience than anybody can afford to pay him for. There are $40,000 farm manager jobs out there; but they are few and far between and you don't have near enough experience yet to apply for one of those.

We can get them cheaper than $8 here... :lol:

A house, truck, insurance to bring down their child support, $1,000 a month, and entry fees for roping every now and then and you will have a be nice of a hand.

Yes, that is why we go out to your place in a van to recruit them!! :D

There are 10 more in line waiting for that one to leave... ;-) Its a never ending supply.

eric":10v4tk7e said:
why dont you sell the house and condo and buy you a place of your own instead of doing the work for someone else? do you own the house and condo or do you have a mortgage on them? there is inexpensive land in most states if you dont require living close to big cities and cn do a little fixing up on the place. You will find out like most of us who are self employed that insurance will be your biggest expense, especially with 2 little kids.

They are in debt... owe on both. ;-)

baxter78":1uy8l1e3 said:
You wont find someone that will furnish you insurance and free housing.

I would have to disagree with this statement. The majority of the ads for help I've seen provide insurance and housing, but I don't know what the amount of experience they are looking for is - there was no mention of a specific amount.

msscamp":23ucfihs said:
baxter78":23ucfihs said:
You wont find someone that will furnish you insurance and free housing.

I would have to disagree with this statement. The majority of the ads for help I've seen provide insurance and housing, but I don't know what the amount of experience they are looking for is - there was no mention of a specific amount.

I think it is getting rarer for employers to provide health insurance. http://www.agricareersinc.com/salary.htm

The days of the "Tennant House" are gone around here. The only type place you might see one is on a Dairy.Unless someone has a need for a Ranch/Farm Manager, and that title is going to be earned by someone with plenty of experience, I'd say the chances of finding a position here are slim to none, and Slim done left.

If Cattle are truly what you want to have as a side occupation, sell the condo and the house and buy yourself a place.Put as much down as you can, or cash the seller out, but you are almost sure to still have debt.

We rent our condo and we live in our house. We have mortgages on both and decent equity in both but want to build more before we sell. As I've said being debt free is more important than owning cattle. I'm a teacher and would actually like to finish out the school year (end of May) then I would a little more cattle/farm/ranch experience. I'm not discounting what some of you have said about this being near impossible to do. But the fact is I've found numerous ads and already have had two individuals contact me with whom I'm corresponding with. I've even found two ads that provide housing, insurance, utilities and training. They seem to want honest, reliable and good people rather than just experience. They also say families welcome. Time will tell.

tncattle":pj2ufurr said:
I'm not discounting what some of you have said about this being near impossible to do.

There are a few around that I can name. Hence, it is not impossible.

I don't ask personal questions such as insurance, salary etc, but I do know they are furnished with housing.

Since the dentist I was speaking of earlier is a friend, I know more of the specifics in that case just based on his conversation. He does furnish insurance, salary, housing etc. He does not live there and only comes in on weekends. His caretakers keep records of birth, weight etc.

Teachers used to be the jokes of the college educated world. What they were paid 10-20 years ago was laughable. Since then the teacher's unions have done a much better job of flexing muscles and influencing lawmakers. My school teacher Mother is in her 60s and SHOULD retire; but her pay is up in the mid 50s now and this year wipes out a much lower year in the average pay formula, thus she is staying on for a big increase her monthly pension benefit. You get full medical and retirement (there are 48 year olds drawing full pensions here in Alabama) for just 181 days of work and make $35,000, 45,000, eventually 55,000, (and MORE if you coach football). In short more than most farm managers are making. If you have your state teaching credentials, you would be better off taking a job in a rural county system (most of whom would kill for a competent male instructor) and be looking for land. A lot of absentee type farms/ranches would be overjoyed to give you housing for 10-20 hours of work a week and you make sure that their cows are not wandering the roads, that would not/could not hire a full time manager and provide insurance.

Brandonm2":1y76eogd said:
Teachers used to be the jokes of the college educated world. What they were paid 10-20 years ago was laughable. Since then the teacher's unions have done a much better job of flexing muscles and influencing lawmakers. My school teacher Mother is in her 60s and SHOULD retire; but her pay is up in the mid 50s now and this year wipes out a much lower year in the average pay formula, thus she is staying on for a big increase her monthly pension benefit. You get full medical and retirement (there are 48 year olds drawing full pensions here in Alabama) for just 181 days of work and make $35,000, 45,000, eventually 55,000, (and MORE if you coach football). In short more than most farm managers are making. If you have your state teaching credentials, you would be better off taking a job in a rural county system (most of whom would kill for a competent male instructor) and be looking for land. A lot of absentee type farms/ranches would be overjoyed to give you housing for 10-20 hours of work a week and you make sure that their cows are not wandering the roads, that would not/could not hire a full time manager and provide insurance.

I teach at a Private Christian school and have no desire to teach in our public schools, they are a joke up here. When they took God out of the public schools I was done with them. My children will will not grace the halls of our incredible liberal and weird thinking public schools. I am not trying to offend people this is just my opinion. I was looking at a yearbook from 50 years ago and asking my mother about her school days and it's just unbelievable the negative change that has taken place. Very sad.

tncattle":3sqc0ye3 said:
I teach at a Private Christian school and have no desire to teach in our public schools, they are a joke up here. When they took God out of the public schools I was done with them. My children will will not grace the halls of our incredible liberal and weird thinking public schools. I am not trying to offend people this is just my opinion. I was looking at a yearbook from 50 years ago and asking my mother about her school days and it's just unbelievable the negative change that has taken place. Very sad.

Mother sent all three of her children to private Christian schools; but she herself worked/works for the government schools.....tenure, health benefits, dental, pension, Unionized, etc there is no comparison between the two. Granted she has had students murdered, a student go to death row, deals with kids whose parents are in drug rehab or prison, kids in foster care, etc and she has had students expelled for selling marijuana, arson, fighting ,etc and pays for ALL materials used out of state pupil supply money and her own pocket since NO parent will send ANYTHING or any money to the classroom. All stuff you probably deal with very little at a private school. All I am saying is that the fastest way out of debt is to maximize income.

I teach at a Private Christian school and have no desire to teach in our public schools, they are a joke up here. When they took God out of the public schools I was done with them. My children will will not grace the halls of our incredible liberal and weird thinking public schools. I am not trying to offend people this is just my opinion. I was looking at a yearbook from 50 years ago and asking my mother about her school days and it's just unbelievable the negative change that has taken place. Very sad.[/quote]
tn,
We are reminded that .......scripture tells us we will pay a price to be a Christian and to keep our faith and be rightesous during the end times, which are surely here.

You can do it but, refining your needs will be required.

If the basics are in place here are some suggested thoughs for you to consider;

Assist other local ranchers/cash croppers during peak periods with animals and maintenance chores.

Look in the home area for vacant land and develop your herd with the landowner shareing in the profits.

Assist at the local sale barn.(help the vet..he needs assistance and the rewards are great).

Do evening w/end tutoring.

Do landscaping and mow lawns.

Drive the local school bus and get the insurance coverage.

Assist in the local school lunch/kitchen needs for insurance coverage.

Provide small home repairs when weather and slow times permit.

If you have a reliable vehicle do next day/right-on-time make-up deliveries.

Arrange for your own cow,hog,chickens,etc. for slaughter to control living costs.

Make a full garden and sto harvested/canned vegetables.

Many computer/on-line options for a stay at home mom for extra money.

Child day-care for a stay-at-home mom, is available in all areas.
(I know a local family with 2 of their own kids who makes over $400. per week)

Intensify prayer.

There are many others...you get the idea.

You have commented on this concept before but, I fail to see where you have expressed commitment to adjust from contemporary values. I am not sure that your concept/objectives can have it both ways.

FWIW.

Preston quote
"You have commented on this concept before but, I fail to see where you have expressed commitment to adjust from contemporary values. I am not sure that your concept/objectives can have it both ways."

Please explain further, I'm not completely sure what this statement means. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.

tncattle":1mlsc448 said:
msscamp":1mlsc448 said:
I would suggest you find a recent issue of the High Plains Journal, Western Livestock Journal, or a copy of the Fence Post Magazine - all have numerous listings for ranch hands/pen riders/ranch managers/etc. in them. Most of the listings provide housing, health insurance, etc.

Where can I get copies of those periodicals? Thanks!

Do a search for High Plains Journal - I'm not sure if they have a website. Western Livestock Journal is http://www.wlj.com - but I believe there is a cost to register - and I believe The Fence Post is http://www.fencepost.com. Depending on your area, you might also check newstands.

msscamp":2ullhmj5 said:
tncattle":2ullhmj5 said:
msscamp":2ullhmj5 said:
I would suggest you find a recent issue of the High Plains Journal, Western Livestock Journal, or a copy of the Fence Post Magazine - all have numerous listings for ranch hands/pen riders/ranch managers/etc. in them. Most of the listings provide housing, health insurance, etc.

After I ask the question I did exactly that and they all have websites with ads. I have found no less than about 12 job ads that fit my criteria. I'm currently corresponding with 3 potential employers right now.
Where can I get copies of those periodicals? Thanks!

Do a search for High Plains Journal - I'm not sure if they have a website. Western Livestock Journal is http://www.wlj.com - but I believe there is a cost to register - and I believe The Fence Post is http://www.fencepost.com. Depending on your area, you might also check newstands.

tncattle":1if2a4pw said:
Preston quote
"You have commented on this concept before but, I fail to see where you have expressed commitment to adjust from contemporary values. I am not sure that your concept/objectives can have it both ways."

Please explain further, I'm not completely sure what this statement means. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm serious.
=====
I understand.

Just trying to help.

Break it down. What part of the staement do you need help with?

preston39":1ihjinln said:
tncattle":1ihjinln said:
Preston quote

=====
I understand.

Just trying to help.

Break it down. What part of the staement do you need help with?

"I fail to see where you have expressed commitment to adjust from contemporary values"

What exactly do you mean by this?

tn,

Stand back and look at your posts which the following excerpts are taken:

...."own a house and condo"...........

........."but it is more important for us to be debt free"...........

............."debt it's the American way. We have decided we don't to live that way"...........

................."almost exactly what we are trying to do"...........

............"We have mortgages on both and decent equity in both but want to build more"............

......"being debt free is more important than owning cattle"..........

See the picture?

Latest posts