Ring worms

Help Support CattleToday:

LA cattle

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had ring worms with there cows? My vet told me to use a plant fungicide to get rid of them. Does anyone know how to treat them?

My herd gets ringworm every year. I wait for a dry day or I move them undercover. I deworm them with pour on wormer. If it's real bad I put motor oil on the spots but usually just let it run it's course.

It is contagious to people, dogs etc. I have never got it tho. My sister has...many times.

LA cattle said:
Has anyone ever had ring worms with there cows? My vet told me to use a plant fungicide to get rid of them. Does anyone know how to treat them?

Captan bean dust. Make it into a paste and rub it on the area.

cowgal604 said:
My herd gets ringworm every year. I wait for a dry day or I move them undercover. I deworm them with pour on wormer. If it's real bad I put motor oil on the spots but usually just let it run it's course.

It is contagious to people, dogs etc. I have never got it tho. My sister has...many times.

Will pour on wormer work on a fungus?

Nope. It's a fungus not a wormer. You can get the Captan at almost any farm supply and Walmart. There are some others also that Walmart carries in a spray

I don't know how good it works, but the Steer jocks around here swear if you have a ring work problem get a goat. Let it run with the cattle and it will chew the ring worm off the cattle.
If it would work it's definitely a hands off cure.
The sun light kills it so longer, warmer day it just kind of goes away.

We run them in the chute, take a curry comb, rough it up and paint on old motor oil with a paintbrush. Or use vaseline and smother it. Or paint iodine on them. If they have it at a barn where they are in and out, then the next year the next batch will have it. Sunlight does pretty much take care of it so some we don't bother working unless it is really bad. Don't get too worried unless they are going to be sold soon and we want them cleared up. Never seem to get it again so they must develop some resistance to the fungus?

There have been a lot of recent posts about ring worm and warts - peruse the topics. Unless you have show cattle with an upcoming event, ignore it and it will go away. Or you can treat it and it will go away maybe a couple weeks earlier.

Have a read.....lol

https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=121294

I tried some simple treatments, to be honest, did not make any diff to cure time, in fact, the non treated cleared up much quicker, but that is not a controlled study...so...

If I was going to treat, I would do what a few suggest and get some captan or other proven fungicide.

Pour-ons, no.
However, the old thiabendazole (TBZ) dewormer, which came on the market in 1969 - don't know if it's still available as a dewormer - I've not seen it in decades - was/is a decent topical fungicide.
Some human & veterinary anti-fungal creams/solutions contain(ed) it, and back in the day, we recommended it to clients for use on ringworm lesions on their calves... pump the appropriate dose down the calf's throat and rub a glob of the TBZ paste on the ringworm lesions...

Captan, iodine, OTC antifungals all work... as does tincture of time and sunlight.
As someone stated - be aware that YOU can contract it from affected cattle.

Lucky_P is reminding me I'm older than dirt. :roll: TBZ & Safeguard were the available wormers when I started raising cattle. My first brush with ring worm my savvy "old time" DVM suggested an effective cure was coating the lesions with TBZ but noted the easiest & cheapest cure was tincture of time. 8)

sstterry said:
cowgal604 said:

Will pour on wormer work on a fungus?

No. As beens said. But I do it as ring worm and worm season for us tend to come together.

farmerjan said:
We run them in the chute, take a curry comb, rough it up and paint on old motor oil with a paintbrush. Or use vaseline and smother it. Or paint iodine on them. If they have it at a barn where they are in and out, then the next year the next batch will have it. Sunlight does pretty much take care of it so some we don't bother working unless it is really bad. Don't get too worried unless they are going to be sold soon and we want them cleared up. Never seem to get it again so they must develop some resistance to the fungus?

Hey farmerjan....

Lot of remedies are very old school, years ago we used to wash our hands in petrol...gas for you guys.....

Def do not put used motor oil on them or you. Find a nicer clean oil. Or maybe fresh grease. Or, even better, lanolin grease....

[/quote] Def do not put used motor oil on them or you. Find a nicer clean oil. Or maybe fresh grease. Or, even better, lanolin grease....
[/quote]

I remember as a kid my dad would put used motor oil on ringworm. He said he was told by older cattleman that it had to be used oil, not new. Something in the used oil such as sulfur or carbon that helped kill the fungus.

Yeah, well, folks used to do all sorts of stuff - and animals recovered or got better in spite of it. Like giving 'fat meat grease' to a dog thought to be 'poisoned', rubbing turpentine/peanut oil mixture over arthritic joints. Vast majority of 'old home remedies' are bogus... not all, just most.
Used motor oil... just needs to be recycled, not smeared on a cow.

Def do not put used motor oil on them or you. Find a nicer clean oil. Or maybe fresh grease. Or, even better, lanolin grease....
[/quote]

I remember as a kid my dad would put used motor oil on ringworm. He said he was told by older cattleman that it had to be used oil, not new. Something in the used oil such as sulfur or carbon that helped kill the fungus.
[/quote]

Using used motor oil has been done for generations. Our vet and many ranchers suggested it. They actually specifically said it had to be used oil....

I guess I should have said what I consider old motor oil. Not from oil changes on the vehicles. Mostly just the tail end stuff from oil containers that gets drained into a jug. Sometimes it might have a little water that has turned it a little cloudy, but it is "new oil" that has an impurity like water, to render it not useable in a vehicle. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I drain any oil containers into a jug and then use that for hinges or anything that needs a little oil on it.

Yeah, is ok really, just thought provoking comment. It is unlikely to have much effect on a large animal if done once or a few times.....

It just seemed odd to me, to take so many steps to keep my animals healthy, good food etc, not too much meds - as little as possible to none if possible, we have checks for residues in feeds etc...

Then to put used engine oil, with all the contaminants and chemicals, on us (sure most of us here would have done oil changes with no gloves etc) or our animals. So it is probably just something I would avoid.

To me, a more logical approach, would be to know what the agent/s are that do work and non toxic, and use them.

Latest posts