Round bale hay cradle questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah it's a lot of work and can be inconvenient but it's better than nothing. We don't drag pallets around everywhere since we bring everything back to the yard to store it but it wouldn't be too bad if we did store on several different locations. I get the pallets loaded in the bed of my pickup with a forklift, then use the front end loader with bale spears to unload the whole stack. If it's a big stack I break it down into smaller stacks of about 6-8 and line the stacks up along where I'm going to make a row of bales, then pull them off the stack and lay them end to end butted against each other to store the bales. Not really that big of a deal if you break it down into manageable parts. I was spreading the pallets out since they're a bit smaller than a five by five or six bale but that turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. Sure that way it's one pallet per bale but if it is a bit off center it would touch the ground and get a bad spot, so we just lay the pallets out butted together or a couple inches apart at most and then put the bales on them. It takes a few extra pallets but it sure makes the stacking quicker.

Of course it all depends on a person's operation and what they want to do. I was just saying that, for uncovered storage, putting the bales on pallets or anything else to get it off the ground is the number one thing you can do to save hay. Of course barn storage is best but barns are expensive and not in everyone's budget. Tarping is a good alternative and better than just lining them up. It amazes me sometimes how people store their hay and then wonder what happened when it's gone completely to pot at the end of the year. I know someone who stacks them under big overgrown trees in a fenceline surrounded by tall weeds. He said that the tree canopy helps keep them dry. I've been under trees in rainstorms and you get just as wet as the water shakes off the leaves as you do standing in an open field, it just takes a bit longer. Plus, with the shading and lack of good airflow, it stays wet under a tree for a long time. He was telling me this as I was looking at a stack of rotted to the core bales that started out 5-6 feet in diameter and were down to 3 feet, sitting in the fenceline and so far gone as to be beyond hope of even moving let alone feeding. And they were stacked like beer cans in a case, side to side, which funnels all the water down into the 'V' and rots the sides out completely. And I see that done quite a bit. I learned that lesson the hard way one year about the time I graduated high school:) Never repeated it though:)

Anyway, yall have a good one and take it easy! OL JR :)

The one rack I have is an old trampoline frame that I cut up and reworked. A guy wanted it hauled off from one of his rent houses and asked if I wanted it. I was thinking I would use it for more hog trap junk iron but when I got to looking at the bent leg frames, hay rack came to mind.

It is not nearly as nice as CB's but it works. Better than may hay rings.

After seeing CB's design, I think I could convert some of my hay rings by cutting them in thirds.

backhoeboogie":18nih5lf said:
The one rack I have is an old trampoline frame that I cut up and reworked. A guy wanted it hauled off from one of his rent houses and asked if I wanted it. I was thinking I would use it for more hog trap junk iron but when I got to looking at the bent leg frames, hay rack came to mind.

After seeing CB's design, I think I could convert some of my hay rings by cutting them in thirds

:lol: :lol: I wondered if anyone else saw a portion of an old hay ring as the "cradle" part. Alot of the auctions I attend the ones with a bent section go for $5 or less. Cheap considering the cost of metal now.

Caustic,,,that hay cradle looks good to me,,,I think I may try it using one of my 3 section hay rings for the cradle and build the frame on skids to move it easier. The ring sections should give you about 13-14 ft in length and all you will need is the frame to bolt them to. If you space the ring sections with a 12" gap it should be about 15 ft long and that should hold 3 bales.

I dont have a loader, but I can roll them on with a ramp, I loaded 16 ft 18" logs that way with a cant hook. I cut me an alley next to a bank and can pull the hay skid up close to the bank and roll them off pretty easy.,,,,,I THINK anyway :roll: :roll:

C HOLLAND":2f6dgo8q said:
Caustic,,,that hay cradle looks good to me,,,I think I may try it using one of my 3 section hay rings for the cradle and build the frame on skids to move it easier. The ring sections should give you about 13-14 ft in length and all you will need is the frame to bolt them to. If you space the ring sections with a 12" gap it should be about 15 ft long and that should hold 3 bales.

I dont have a loader, but I can roll them on with a ramp, I loaded 16 ft 18" logs that way with a cant hook. I cut me an alley next to a bank and can pull the hay skid up close to the bank and roll them off pretty easy.,,,,,I THINK anyway :roll: :roll:

Like I said we have a couple of different designs, one is made from hay rings, you can buy just the rings and cut in half.
Couple are made from an old hay ring that was a 3 piece bolt together and taken apart and used as the cradle, some are in a V shape . All are on skids to make it easy to move.
I am not sure I don't like the V the best, remember you have to build these things pretty stout to be cow and bull proof.

I don't even remove hay stings anymore as they are in the cradle just pull them out and burn them.

The sale barn that i go to use the V type hay feeders, i think they are 14 ft. long an on skids so they can be moved easily. Built out of 2 inch pipe an hold 2 large round bales, i got all the measurements around her some where. I plan to built one this summer.

backhoeboogie":c0xjj4bx said:

After seeing CB's design, I think I could convert some of my hay rings by cutting them in thirds.
Last night as soon as I got home I drug up a couple of ruined hay rings and laid them side by side to see if I could finangle some kind of rack.
Funny we were thinking the same thing...

danl":dcfvnc1j said:
Last night as soon as I got home I drug up a couple of ruined hay rings and laid them side by side to see if I could finangle some kind of rack.
Funny we were thinking the same thing...

What would be really nice would be to run in to some more old round tampoline frames. You'd think they'd be all around in the cities. The rings are great and the one given to me had 3 U shaped leg supports. It was heavy enough gage metal too.

I also build my own hay cradle 3x4 that holds two bales it working very well ,if anyone want to see it try to post pic here but could not get it to it ,,

Caustic Burno":1f8xsk9r said:
Texas Gal":1f8xsk9r said:
CB - approximately how "deep" is the cradle part of the feeder and how far off the ground is the bottom of the cradle? I know beggars can't be choosers, but do you have a picture of the rack with hay in it?

This is the only two pictures he sent me. I am electronically challenged. Have to get the grandkids to set the time in the truck.

PICT0014.jpg

It's not too easy to get heavy wall sq tubing curved like that.
If it is cost effective, I wonder if ya can use off the shelf curved panels like you find in a cattle sweep system
for the part that holds the hay?

Looking locally, that would be pretty pricey.
https://shop.mccoys.com/farm-ranch-yard ... els/p.4148

Cheaper just to buy a quality hay ring and use the curved parts from it.

I found that the problem with the hay rings is the cows will push the rolls off because the rings are not a small enough radius. CB has the best design that I have seen even though Boogie's is the cheapest.

Latest posts