Sale barn buyers

Help Support CattleToday:

blackladies

Reaction score
Do buyers at the sale barn typically know who was selling? Started out with old cheap one and dones from the sale barn to get into csttle and now bringing those old girls back to the sale barn after getting a calf or two. Will I get a bad reputation from running those through and would it carry over to a discount if I bring higher quality animals later on?

No, selling slaughter cows won't effect your reputation. Buyers bid on the quality, good or bad, in front of them.
The only thing that would hurt your reputation would be selling animals that end up on hold for drug residue ie selling for slaughter and not following withholding times. IF that happens you will hear about it.

Do buyers at the sale barn typically know who was selling? Started out with old cheap one and dones from the sale barn to get into csttle and now bringing those old girls back to the sale barn after getting a calf or two. Will I get a bad reputation from running those through and would it carry over to a discount if I bring higher quality animals later on?
Selling cull animals is at least as important and common in sale barns as selling calves to raise. It's what sale barns are for.

Here if you bring in 10 (+/-) head of feeder cattle and they will announce your name along with any vaccination and weaning information. Bred cows the same thing minus weaning. Cull cows they never announce anything and they sell a lot faster. A spin or two around the ring and out the door.

Here if you bring in 10 (+/-) head of feeder cattle and they will announce your name along with any vaccination and weaning information. Bred cows the same thing minus weaning. Cull cows they never announce anything and they sell a lot faster. A spin or two around the ring and out the door.
Same routine up here

As said on slaughter cows it doesn't matter much.
Our sale has a screen behind the auctioneer showing number, weight and seller. After sold it shows sale price and who the buyer was.

Thanks all for those gave their 2 cents. Was a little worried about what I was bringing but there are some real rough ones that go through the ring it seems. Several completely blind ones went through this morning, was unusual don't see that a lot. Not sure what would cause that many in one go. Saw a steer calf with a swollen knee as well this morning go for .15 cents a pound, thought about it for that price but didn't have a butcher date he looked good other than having a softball for a knee.

Saw a steer calf with a swollen knee as well this morning go for .15 cents a pound, thought about it for that price but didn't have a butcher date he looked good other than having a softball for a knee.
Good time to have a good meat grinder and the weather where I am is perfect for cooling it out and processing at home.

Here several barns announce the owner of all local raised cattle. If they don't announce you know they aren't fresh local raised cattle. Bred cows the owner maybe announced depending on age. The buyers here are very observant. If they have a brand they will recognize it many times. A year ago I sold a crippled Hereford bull. The biggest buyer in this area was in the office when I picked up the check. He said he was one of the best Hereford bulls he had seen in a while. He bought several calves sired by him over the years. But normally on slaughter cows they don't know unless the recognize a brand.

Our sale barns tend to market cattle. On cows, the auctioneer might say, Look at these Double M cattle. Can't get better flesh. They qualify for all natural "

Calf buyers are different buyers. Marginal cull cows you'd never get the name mentioned so unless it's the same day or you are big, likely not noticed

Some barn workers will tell their order buyer friends (not public) about your cattle and that can help them sell better. I do not play that game but it is done quite a bit.

Some barn workers will tell their order buyer friends (not public) about your cattle and that can help them sell better. I do not play that game but it is done quite a bit.
I have a guy that does that. He's about my age and works at the barn. We have some mutual friend. I text him direct to set up hauling for us, now. I have no doubt he helps market our calves. I might run in to him 2 or 3 times a year around town and I grab his lunch or a couple drinks to grease the wheel.

I am involved in some litigation with a certain person that some on this Board know. As a part of our negotiations, we sold a large number of cattle on Sat. Both parties (and myself) were given assurances by the Sale Barn owner that the buyers would not know where the cattle came from.

Take it for what it is worth.

I am involved in some litigation with a certain person that some on this Board know. As a part of our negotiations, we sold a large number of cattle on Sat. Both parties (and myself) were given assurances by the Sale Barn owner that the buyers would not know where the cattle came from.

Take it for what it is worth.
You have peaked my interest. Why would you not want the buyers to know unless they were trade cattle.

I like tipping. It can be very useful in many ways.
I tipped the Marina attendees Rib eyes and T-bone steaks during my treatments in Seattle, "don't worry Scott we'll move boats if we have too, you'll have a space ".
Who doesn't appreciate a thank you.

Latest posts