Santa gert x Brahman bull

Help Support CattleToday:

AR Lopez

Reaction score
I was looking at buying a f1 santa gert x brahman bull for my 42 head of gert and 8 head of hereford, how would the calves look? would the sell for a lot? you can see him if you go to bryan tx craigslist, I don't know how to put a screenshot.

Probably red with some ear and sheath on the bulls/ steers . In N Alabama you'd take a beating on the calves . In Texas I'd think you'd do well on them .

or they have this gert bull,i think I will sell off some gerts and buy more herfs or Reg Red Angus.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    269.6 KB · Views: 24
What would be your plan with the calves? Between those two, I would go with the Gert since it would add a little less ear and leather to your calves than the Brahman/Gert one. Have you considered other breed bulls like Angus, Hereford, or Charolais? I always heard Charolais and Herefords crossed really well with Gerts.

Hereford, Gert, or Red Angus bull. I would not add Brahman, especially in a crossbred bull. That will give you the best odds for selling replacements and minimize the beating if you go to the auction barn. A Black Angus would minimize it even more.

I was looking at buying a f1 santa gert x brahman bull for my 42 head of gert and 8 head of hereford, how would the calves look? would the sell for a lot? you can see him if you go to bryan tx craigslist, I don't know how to put a screenshot.
Assuming this bull is half Brahma and half Gert, that is what your calves could potentially be: 1/2 of them could be Brahma calves, and 1/2 of them could be Gert calves. A cross-bred bull is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates: You never know what you gonna get. Best thing you could do to get the maximum amount of money from your claves, is to buy a reg Angus bull. If you aren't trying to reduce the ear and leather from your Gerts, a Brangus wouldn't add or take away that... it would just make black calves that will sell for more than any red calves will. If you don't mind the lower calf prices, and just love red for some reason ( I noticed you said you might buy some red Angus cows) then get the Gert. Gert x Herf cows and heifers are popular right now for replacements. Don't fall for the old wives tale that Angus can't tolerate heat. Board member @gizmom produces some of the finest angus I have seen, and they are in Florida. A few board members have bought bulls from them, and no one has had anything negative to say about them.

Assuming this bull is half Brahma and half Gert, that is what your calves could potentially be: 1/2 of them could be Brahma calves, and 1/2 of them could be Gert calves. A cross-bred bull is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates: You never know what you gonna get. Best thing you could do to get the maximum amount of money from your claves, is to buy a reg Angus bull. If you aren't trying to reduce the ear and leather from your Gerts, a Brangus wouldn't add or take away that... it would just make black calves that will sell for more than any red calves will. If you don't mind the lower calf prices, and just love red for some reason ( I noticed you said you might buy some red Angus cows) then get the Gert. Gert x Herf cows and heifers are popular right now for replacements. Don't fall for the old wives tale that Angus can't tolerate heat. Board member @gizmom produces some of the finest angus I have seen, and they are in Florida. A few board members have bought bulls from them, and no one has had anything negative to say about them.
All gerts I buy are from the King Ranch and I have 340 acres with 4 pens and I swap them around and they do great that's why I liked the gerts because a lot of this land is very rocky with a lot of caves and ponds. I also have a remuda of 34 AQHA and 2 APHA mares that get pasture bred to my stud, so they stay in the 4th pasture. The gerts also do well in my own feedlot and put on a lot of weight. As far as them having to be black, I sell directly through private treaty as well as my farm-to-table business, so I do not need them to be black I just need them to bring me a calf when we brand.

All gerts I buy are from the King Ranch and I have 340 acres with 4 pens and I swap them around and they do great that's why I liked the gerts because a lot of this land is very rocky with a lot of caves and ponds. I also have a remuda of 34 AQHA and 2 APHA mares that get pasture bred to my stud, so they stay in the 4th pasture. The gerts also do well in my own feedlot and put on a lot of weight. As far as them having to be black, I sell directly through private treaty as well as my farm-to-table business, so I do not need them to be black I just need them to bring me a calf when we brand.
I have to ask, if you don't mind, you have and breed quarter horses, you buy Gerts from the KR, why are you looking at craigslist, crossbred bulls? One of those is clearly not the same. That is like putting ketchup on caviar. :)

I have to ask, if you don't mind, you have and breed quarter horses, you buy Gerts from the KR, why are you looking at craigslist, crossbred bulls? One of those is clearly not the same. That is like putting ketchup on caviar. :)
Here at my local salebarn the 3/4 gert and 1/4 brahman have been the high sellers for a while now and I want to get in on the action, they are not what I want but if I have 1 calf crop and see how well they do that will decide what I do in the future.

as well as most of the gerts at the KR share very simialer bloodlines and I don't know how close the inbreeding is because they have commercial cattle. That gert bull that I mentioned would be used as an outcross

Just to throw some options out there, there is a group that sells Gerts and some other variation out of the Bloomington area. Warren posted a link to their sale a while back. I can't think of them off the top of my head. There is also a Red Brangus breeder in the same area. Think they go by Buffalo Red Brangus.

Both those would be raised kind of in that same country like you, I think. I have not owned any of their stuff but have seen them around.

Just to throw some options out there, there is a group that sells Gerts and some other variation out of the Bloomington area. Warren posted a link to their sale a while back. I can't think of them off the top of my head. There is also a Red Brangus breeder in the same area. Think they go by Buffalo Red Brangus.

Both those would be raised kind of in that same country like you, I think. I have not owned any of their stuff but have seen them around.
I just looked at both websites, they look really nice. If I were to put red/black angus to keep a little less ear on them would they look like a brangus or would I get docked heavily?

Go down to the American Red.

they look nice, I don't know the percentage of the cow in the picture but she looked more red Angus. Would you buy any?

Last edited:
they look nice, I don't know the percentage of the of in the picture but she looked more red Angus. Would you buy any?
If I owned Gerts it would be a Red Angus or Hereford bull on them. I do Brafords and their crosses but 1/4 Brahman is my ideal cow.

20210723_083053.jpg

First you say you sell all calves private treaty and then say you dont want to get docked at the stockyard. The answer may be different for each case.
I sell them through PT but the ones at the sale barn somehow bring more than mine so I want to try it out

Latest posts