Santa gert x Brahman bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Just to throw some options out there, there is a group that sells Gerts and some other variation out of the Bloomington area. Warren posted a link to their sale a while back. I can't think of them off the top of my head. There is also a Red Brangus breeder in the same area. Think they go by Buffalo Red Brangus.

Both those would be raised kind of in that same country like you, I think. I have not owned any of their stuff but have seen them around.
I can't find that website now. They said they raised Gerts and 3 kind of Gert composites, but it never said what the other breeds were in the composites.

Gert x Herf cows are very popular around here. They will sell for as much as an f1 Br x Herf will. They are great mothers, good milkers, and have a docile disposition...just about everything you'd want in a brood cow. A long time Santa Gertrudis operation close to me. (I know it is over 50 years old, cause I remember seeing it when I was a little boy) has been producing Gert x Her and Gert x Braford replacement heifers for a decade now. AI-ing their Gert cows to Hereford and Braford bulls. They have a few Herf and Braford cows they are AI-ing to Gert bulls, too. He has no problem selling those heifers private treaty, that his son doesn't get. His son AI's the Gert x Herf to Ultrablacks and the Gert x Braf to Angus, with sexed semen for steers. I know the son got Dan to order him some Red Charolais semen, and he got 4 of those red Charolais bred heifers I brought in last week. Dunno how he plans on using the red Char, but getting some Char blood into that Gert- herf mix, out to really boost the growth of the calves.

The last 3 or 4 years the Santa Gertrudis operation has been AI-ing most of their Gert cows to Black Hereford bulls, and those heifers are sold by contract when they are born, and for more money than the red ones bring after weaning. His son was finally able to get a few last year, and he intends on using Ultrablack or Black Simm on them.

@AR Lopez . I agree with @Brute 23 about using either a Hereford or Angus bull on those Gerts. Since you also have some Herefords, then I would go with Angus. Since you are selling private treaty or freezer beef, you could use red angus. A red angus bull of the same quality as a black angus will be cheaper. Personally, I would choose black angus, in case I did need to take some to the sale. No sense in giving up the possible CAB premium to use a red bull.

I was looking at buying a f1 santa gert x brahman bull for my 42 head of gert and 8 head of hereford, how would the calves look? would the sell for a lot? you can see him if you go to bryan tx craigslist, I don't know how to put a screenshot.
Gerts are already 3/8 brahman. Why would you add more brahman to a bull if it's a cross breed anyway?

And as others have said, unless you have some kind of unicorn market for red calves with a lot of ear you might want to think about what kind will make you the better financial return. Well... unless you are rich like most of us and can take a beating at the point of sale with no worries...

Yes, you control your private treaty price. If you are charging less than market prce you need to really go up on your price.
Some here are charging $5.50 hanging weight and selling a lot of them.
My gerts sell for market price at PT but for some reason these 3/4 gert and 1/4 brahman sell above market. A 1200 lb steer of this cross sold for 3.60 a lb.

My gerts sell for market price at PT but for some reason these 3/4 gert and 1/4 brahman sell above market. A 1200 lb steer of this cross sold for 3.60 a lb.
Those that you are comparing to might be from a breeder with a big reputation that the buyers know. You getting that premium at the saleyards might be another thing.

Ken

Did you see this steer sell? Load lots that size are bringing a little less than $2.00.
Why would anyone buy a steer for $4320 when the best Angus steers that size are bringing $2400? A steer is eaten, no other value to it.

Did you see this steer sell? Load lots that size are bringing a little less than $2.00.
Why would anyone buy a steer for $4320 when the best Angus steers that size are bringing $2400? A steer is eaten, no other value to it.
Yeah, doesn't make sense, when you can buy a registered Gert bull for that, or a registered Gert cow for half to 3/4 of that. I can't even imagine where anyone would get such a steer anyhow. I suppose someone may have Gert cows, I guess, and somehow a Brah bull got in the pasture and bred a cow, then they kept the heifer in the herd and bred her back to a Gert?!!! Reckon it was a 200 lb steer, not a 1200 pounder, @AR Lopez ?

Yeah, doesn't make sense, when you can buy a registered Gert bull for that, or a registered Gert cow for half to 3/4 of that. I can't even imagine where anyone would get such a steer anyhow. I suppose someone may have Gert cows, I guess, and somehow a Brah bull got in the pasture and bred a cow, then they kept the heifer in the herd and bred her back to a Gert?!!! Reckon it was a 200 lb steer, not a 1200 pounder, @AR Lopez ?
It was a show steer that i guess won a couple shows and somehow ended up at a sale barn but that doesn't seem fitting to sell there and not PT. I did see it sell and I was shocked apparently the family that bought him plan to show him It don't make sense to me either.

Decided that I'm going to try to find a herf or a red Angus. I would need 2 bulls and I may go 1 of each to differentiate calves. Everything I have seen says that both crosses make great replacement heifers but I don't know what I would get for the steers. Or if I have to I may AI to sexed semen to get all heifers. Also I saw 3 herf cows with their first calf on their side, The calves are 1/2 herf and 1/2 char. I would probably send 2 to the sale barn and may feed out the 3rd.

It was a show steer that i guess won a couple shows and somehow ended up at a sale barn but that doesn't seem fitting to sell there and not PT. I did see it sell and I was shocked apparently the family that bought him plan to show him It don't make sense to me either.
Show steers bring crazy prices as advertisement. It means nothing in real life. I have seen some bring $8 a lb here at our small show. 10 people got together and pooled the money to make it look big. It still went to slaughter at $1.

Show steers bring crazy prices as advertisement. It means nothing in real life. I have seen some bring $8 a lb here at our small show. 10 people got together and pooled the money to make it look big. It still went to slaughter at $1.
They have 2 outcomes, Become freezer beef or pasture ornaments. it has some serious money in it, I bought 2 gert show cows that I keep separate from the herd during breeding season and AI them to whatever bull had the breed grand champion steer and heifer that year at rodeo houston.

Latest posts