Savage Axis?

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater

Reaction score
Good... Bad... Ugly?
I'm looking for entry level rifles to get my kids started off. I don't like the safety on the remington 700(it's fine for me by myself but I don't want a kid behind me holding a 700 that has bounced around in the truck all morning and may or may not still have the safety on and they may or may not remember to keep the finger off the trigger) so I'm looking at other options and the savage axis looks like it can do what I want. Anyone have one?
How would they compare to a 700? If they compare to a 770, I don't want one. :yuck: Made that mistake already.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

cow pollinater":3gedty5s said:
Good... Bad... Ugly?
I'm looking for entry level rifles to get my kids started off. I don't like the safety on the remington 700(it's fine for me by myself but I don't want a kid behind me holding a 700 that has bounced around in the truck all morning and may or may not still have the safety on and they may or may not remember to keep the finger off the trigger) so I'm looking at other options and the savage axis looks like it can do what I want. Anyone have one?
How would they compare to a 700? If they compare to a 770, I don't want one. :yuck: Made that mistake already.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Remington 770 is crap Remington gave my grandson back his money on one he bought.
IMO a piece of junk.
Looked at several with him the Savage Axis, Ruger American and Marlin X7.
All three seemed to be similar quality, I liked the Marlin best with the Savage 2nd due to trigger pull.
He liked the Ruger American so that is what he got.

A year ago I would have told you the Axix hands down. However i recently did some work on a Ruger American for a friend and shot it a bit afterward.

I believe the Ruger is a better rifle. Accurate, and the fit and finish is outstanding. Trigger out of the box was a real shocker to me. It was great!

skyhightree1":1tg694x6 said:
Bigfoot":1tg694x6 said:
How old are the kids? If they are pretty small, a cricket is fairly safe.

Thats what I was gonna ask and ask what would they be shooting?
The only issue I have with the cricket is that it gets outgrown so fast. H&R/NEF has a single shot that a lot of kids I know use. It can be gad with a short stock or a full size stock. Whichever stock it comes with you can buy the other from the manufacturer. What really surprised me about them is how accurate they are.

I have a 223 axis and I really like it, it rides in the truck mostly, and it's very accurate IMO, I would recommend it. Although the location of the safety might not be best for a kid.

Have you considered a 30-30 Marlin? It has the safety for the hammer and a trigger safety, recoil is not bad at all. I started my son with one @ 8 yrs old. Now at 16, he thinks he needs my Remington pump .30-06, so I am shooting the 30-30 now :cboy:
The 30-30 is short ,easy to handle and with the right ammo accurate to 200 yards...(Hornady)
Just a different suggestion.

saltbranch":1b3frfcl said:
Have you considered a 30-30 Marlin? It has the safety for the hammer and a trigger safety, recoil is not bad at all. I started my son with one @ 8 yrs old. Now at 16, he thinks he needs my Remington pump .30-06, so I am shooting the 30-30 now :cboy:
The 30-30 is short ,easy to handle and with the right ammo accurate to 200 yards...(Hornady)

Have owned two 30-30 Marlin's. They both kicked like a rented mule. I would give a kid a .243 in a heartbeat over a 30-30, and the effective range on deer size game is over 300yds

3waycross":1dhblugg said:
saltbranch":1dhblugg said:

Have owned two 30-30 Marlin's. They both kicked like a rented mule. I would give a kid a .243 in a heartbeat over a 30-30, and the effective range on deer size game is over 300yds

Here in East Texas very few shots are over a 100 yards a lot would depend on what part of the country you are hunting in.
I have Dad's Marlin 336 in 30-30 never shot a deer with it as you stated kicks like a mule.
It has a permanent residence in the gun safe. On the same note one of the sweetest shooting rifles I own is a Model 94.
If I was going to start a kid on a lever gun it would be 44 mag good to 125 or so yards and doesn't kick.

saltbranch":2p3fzsx5 said:
Wow, a 30-30 kick like a mule...never thought that would have ever been said in the same sentence together. I buy them if anyone wants to sell one.

I have a Model 336 with a scope and a recoil pad that i got in a gun deal. If the fellow that spoke for it decides not to take it. You can have it for $400 with 10 boxes of factory 150gr Winchester ammo,. You pay the shipping!

3waycross":3ot0bcqr said:
saltbranch":3ot0bcqr said:
Wow, a 30-30 kick like a mule...never thought that would have ever been said in the same sentence together. I buy them if anyone wants to sell one.

I have a Model 336 with a scope and a recoil pad that i got in a gun deal. If the fellow that spoke for it decides not to take it. You can have it for $400 with 10 boxes of factory 150gr Winchester ammo,. You pay the shipping![/quote

Let me know if deal falls through, I am interested.
Thank you

Cow Pollinator,
My apologies, I did not mean to hi jack your thread. I started out with a 30-03 as a kid and did so with my boys. Good luck with whatever you decide.

For those who think a 30-30 kicks. I will strongly recommend that you avoid shooting a Browning A-Bolt in 338.

CP, When my kids were starting out I found a used Browning lever Action in 243. It worked well for them and in a quick glance I could see that the hammer wasn't back, thus the safety was on. I do understand your feelings about a kid behind you with a loaded rifle. My youngest son was a bit of a challenge. Another option is to not allow him to put one in the chamber until ready to shoot.

If your walking with me your gun needs to be unloaded. A deer is not worth someone getting shot. When I was growing up every gun was loaded except when it was being cleaned. Had a friend blow his leg off with his blackpowder shotgun while he was reaching for a beer. My back and head was covered with his meat. And yes I have always thought a 30-30 kicked way to hard for a kid. A nice 243win is a great starter gun.

The .243 licks 20% less than a 30-30 of the same weight. Maybe it's because of the stock design but i have never shot anything i despised more than a Model 336.

Thanks all,
Alot of good suggestions. My wife and I were kicking it around and I told her to give me a day and we'd have it all worked out. :lol:
I looked at the Ruger and that might be a fit for my son. For him it just needs to work right and he'll be happy. My daughter, on the other hand, caught wind of a rifle that comes in pink camo(savage axis) and nothing less will do. :bang: I just wanted to make sure they weren't junk before I bought one. If you met her you'd agree within ten minutes that nothing less would fit.
As far as lever actions, my first gun was a 30-30 model94 :nod: My walk away from the truck/saddle rifle is a .357 model94. My kids have put almost as many rounds through it as I have. :lol: I LOVE that the hammer is the safety and that it has another safety but it certainly isn't the tack driver that's going to teach them precision marksmanship.

My kids(8 and 9) are both extremely careful. They've both both shot quite a bit and are more safety minded than quite a few adult hunters that I've been around so I'm okay with most safety's but On my 700 and POS 770 I have trouble with the safety myself just from the gun being jostled around in the truck or from me carrying it so I don't want to go that route for them.

Again, Thanks all.

My brother has an 270 axis... so far seems to be a good gun, even with the cheap scope it comes with. I have a Stevens 270 and like it... stocks a little rough and it kicks a little but more than I would care for in a 270. Its right up there with my Weatherby in 300 win mag. I just ordered another savage in 375 with a Hogue stock.... hopefully it a bit better designed.

Latest posts