Sell as a pair or wait until weaned and sell separately?

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
I have a good Charolais cow with a big 2 month old calf. I need to sell them both and am looking for some insight as to timing.
Should I wait until the calf is weaned in a couple of months or sell them as a pair now?20210329_190401.jpg20210329_190401.jpg20210329_190401.jpg

Nothing with a 2 month old calf gets split here unless the cow is finished and going to slaughter. A younger cow calf pair here is worth hundreds more than a split
This interests me. Please explain why they would split? An unbred or maybe 1 month bred cow has slaughter value. A 2 month old calf would be pressed to weigh 200+ lb if it was very good. How could those bring more there than a pair selling together to go back to the farm.
I'm definitely not saying it doesn't happen there so don't think that please. I have attended sales in many places all over the US so I realize there are many differences.

I have a similar situation. I bought a one n done several months ago. Her calf is 4 months ol I think. Good looking lil heifer calf.
I've been debating selling now or letting her grow a few more months. Mama is most likely bred back. Saw my hereford on her.

@callmefence I like that thought!

Would be convenient to sell now, as I'm taking a group, and one other cow that didnt do her job tho. Just cant help but think I'd make a bit more by letting her grow.
(They do sell by the pound here)
🤣

E.t.a. I just checked. Calf is 5 months old today. Think I'm gonna go ahead and sell.

@Walking W a pair like that would bring good money round here.
They tend to bring even more once the calf is grown tho, and they sell separately, esp if she is bred

Last edited:
If you have grass and the cow maintains her flesh, then wait. Too many leave the calves on older cows too long and then you have a $0.33/ lb canner cow instead of a $0.50/lb cutter cow.

I have a similar situation. I bought a one n done several months ago. Her calf is 4 months ol I think. Good looking lil heifer calf.
I've been debating selling now or letting her grow a few more months. Mama is most likely bred back. Saw my hereford on her.

@callmefence I like that thought!

Would be convenient to sell now, as I'm taking a group, and one other cow that didnt do her job tho. Just cant help but think I'd make a bit more by letting her grow.
(They do sell by the pound here)
🤣

E.t.a. I just checked. Calf is 5 months old today. Think I'm gonna go ahead and sell.

@Walking W a pair like that would bring good money round here.
They tend to bring even more once the calf is grown tho, and they sell separately, esp if she is bred
You should see slaughter cows and bulls lots higher very soon.

Latest posts