Sewer pipe feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
I acquired a bunch of 24" ribbed on the outside, smooth on the inside pipe. About 300' of it. I'm going to cut it in half and figure I can feed about 300 or so feeder cattle at a time with it. My problem is I don't have a convenient way to "fence line" it. I basically have them in four rows in a central pasture. I have seen people cut short pieces of the pipe off, turn them upside down, and bolt them on as legs. In my mind they are going to push these pipes all over the place. Anyone have some experience with this type of setup or ideas on how to keep from chasing pipe all over the place? Also, how many would you expect to be able to feed at one time with essentially 600' of bunk? Pipes are 24" x 30'. Trying to avoid planting a bunch of post on each side of trough.

"Ribbed on the outside, smooth on the inside pipe." I'm assuming this is plastic pipe?. If it is plastic, I would guess you will need a support ever 10' to keep it from sagging. 24" pipe cut in half will be 12" deep , so 12" pipe supports would make it 24" high. If you want it semi permit full the legs with concrete after you have them bolted on.
If you figure 18" of bunk space per 6wt str. I came up with 400hd you can feed at once.

I have roped lightweight bunks together and towed them behind a covered gravity box when making paddock changes. There would be a bucking comet trail of stockers coming along behind... This would stop traffic. :cowboy:

I have seen half pipes just laying out in a back grounding lot. I don't see why you have to fix them?

callmefence said:
I feed in trough very little. Just to feed wsc. but the only ones l use are exactly what your talking about. We just cut them in half and lay on the ground.

So, you didn't have problems with them moving the trough all over the place? It's a big pipe, and I haven't fed with them yet. Just trying to get ahead. Would much rather not do anything to them but drill drain holes.

rockroadseminole said:
callmefence said:
I feed in trough very little. Just to feed wsc. but the only ones l use are exactly what your talking about. We just cut them in half and lay on the ground.

So, you didn't have problems with them moving the trough all over the place? It's a big pipe, and I haven't fed with them yet. Just trying to get ahead. Would much rather not do anything to them but drill drain holes.

They move them sometimes, from time to time well feed some calves. I have 3 holes drilled evenly spaced on a 20' section I can drive tpost through to pin them down in a lot. Most of the time they are scattered around with different groups on pasture so I can pour corn or cottonseed I usually pin them down but not always. I wouldn't have another type of trough , completely indestructible. We initially put end caps made from molasses tubs. They didn't last long. Now we just use them open ended.

I should be around a couple today I'll snap a picture.

no exactly what your'e doing, but similar.. rarely have trouble with them being moved too much. We have chains on all of ours to move from pasture to pasture. Quite a joy to see the cows running behind

If you have any old tires lying around I've seen people bolt them to the bottoms and they are two fold. Keeps the cows from flipping them and they act as skids so you can move them pretty easy! And if you need any spare tires you can come and take any of mine! I swear the farmers that owned our land before us left those things everywhere!

I feed steers with a similar trough. Mine is only 18" in diameter though. I drilled holes in mine and bolted it to some old tires. I have 3 tires bolted to a 20' trough in a catch pen at one farm. I have another setup where I have fence line feeder panels setup and have the trough just laying on the ground. As long as they can't push the panels laying the trough on the ground has worked fine.

Latest posts