Slaughter cows and bulls.

Help Support CattleToday:

Warren has been watching a lot of Ky sales. Hope he seen Paris Ky sale yesterday.
Big bulls up to 1.80, cows to 1.49 . Not gonna be many cows going back to the farm.
Kenny know a killer cow weighed 1,600 lbs and brought a $1.59 Tuesday. Bulls were mid to upper $1.70's. We plan too sell 2 big bulls and several cows in the next 30-45 days. Since the culling for the drought 2 years ago what is going now are mainly good productive bulls and cows. Not really culls.

A couple of years ago we had too many cattle and the packers could play games all day long with their captive supplies. Markets are finally current and matching what it costs to raise calves and actually have a profit rather than consuming the equity of the ranch. When the value of the cow as a factory (and all the expense and hassle of running the factory) exceeds the value of a cow as beef, the market will adjust. Nationwide herd improvement going on.

Nationwide herd improvement going on.
Maybe... I hope so. But it might go the other way. People selling their heavy cows due to prices being high and price being a factor of pounds. Keeping their skinny cows? That would be an interesting thing to find out. I don't believe many people know a lot about selecting animals. There sure seem to be a lot of people that use EPDs and never look at their animals or the results they are getting.

Maybe... I hope so. But it might go the other way. People selling their heavy cows due to prices being high and price being a factor of pounds. Keeping their skinny cows? That would be an interesting thing to find out. I don't believe many people know a lot about selecting animals. There sure seem to be a lot of people that use EPDs and never look at their animals or the results they are getting.
The ones who know what they are doing will do well going forward. The ones who don't will struggle under any scenario.

I bought about 25 one and dones last fall thru early winter. I put 7 of them into my permanent herd. They are not anything special, just thin when I bought them. They were bought for around $1100, had a nice calf that will easily pay for the cow and her winter hay. They were called short solid and to me looked closer to solid than the shorts that some vets call them. They have filled out since then and rebred and look to me can go another 3 to 4 years.

Retained heifers are nice but getting average calves out of cheap older cows seems like the best deal for me.

With culls being so high, it makes pricing registered breeders tricky. I'm not complaining
!!
Normally i buy some decent looking 700lb bulls in the fall and early winter and sell them the next spring to people who just want something that will breed. Not this year. I have 2.20 on cull 900 lb off color bulls now. $2,000 would usually buy a decent market bull.
And yes i know people need better bulls but many people don't buy anything but cheap.

I bought about 25 one and dones last fall thru early winter. I put 7 of them into my permanent herd. They are not anything special, just thin when I bought them. They were bought for around $1100...

Retained heifers are nice but getting average calves out of cheap older cows seems like the best deal for me.

Just to put it out there. You can buy the cheap ones and get average calves and only occasionally something good enough to retain, or you can spend a few pennies a pound more (maybe $50?) and get some really good cows that will improve your herd fast. A lot of cows culled for age are better than average by quite a bit, and they will drop better than average calves that will top a market or make heifers to retain or sell as replacements to people that know good cattle.

Nice to find those solid cows for a good price...

Last edited:
I'm fixing to start looking for new bull.......it ain't going to cheap I know.
We're looking too, I contacted a couple different farms, folks I know, bulls was priced anywhere from $4000-$6000. One said that he only had a few left that it had been crazy how fast they had sold.
Talked with another breeder a while back and he was already sold out.