Slaughter cows and bulls.

Help Support CattleToday:

I only sell bull calves - weaned & preconditioned - to be picked up in October. I had "upped" my price to $1950 last year. I price them in the winter BEFORE they are born. People put in orders (1st pick, 2nd pick, etc). Normally, that's a good deal for me and great for the buyer. Last October, I sold my same age steers for $2023 (?) more $$ than the registered bulls.
So, this past winter, I priced the bull calves at $900 over October 2024 high dollar steer price. I figure a papered breeding bull sure should be worth $900 over a steer!! Still a great deal for the buyer. My problem this year, I had more bull calves sold than I had born. I guess that is kinda a good problem.

I only sell bull calves - weaned & preconditioned - to be picked up in October. I had "upped" my price to $1950 last year. I price them in the winter BEFORE they are born. People put in orders (1st pick, 2nd pick, etc). Normally, that's a good deal for me and great for the buyer. Last October, I sold my same age steers for $2023 (?) more $$ than the registered bulls.
So, this past winter, I priced the bull calves at $900 over October 2024 high dollar steer price. I figure a papered breeding bull sure should be worth $900 over a steer!! Still a great deal for the buyer. My problem this year, I had more bull calves sold than I had born. I guess that is kinda a good problem.
At 1950 im giving more for them as cutting bulls.
Yes you should get way more.

While waiting for the sale to start today I was reading the Western Livestock Journal. In an article about prices the Journal editor said the high cull cow and bull prices were because of the high demand for hamburger. He quoted the present price for 10% lean trim. I wish I had brought that copy home with me as it went into some detail on the pricing that was driving the high prices. But sadly when I left I forgot it sitting on the floor at my seat.

While waiting for the sale to start today I was reading the Western Livestock Journal. In an article about prices the Journal editor said the high cull cow and bull prices were because of the high demand for hamburger. He quoted the present price for 10% lean trim. I wish I had brought that copy home with me as it went into some detail on the pricing that was driving the high prices. But sadly when I left I forgot it sitting on the floor at my seat.
So this price should hold or get higher through the summer.

Many are worth more to kill than to keep. Its gonna be interesting.
Tuesday night April 2nd will be the bred special for the month.
They have had decent to big runs of breds all winter long and the packers have held the floor so high that they are buying a pretty big % of the sales.
Those of us that are in the business understand it, but its a little disheartening to the amateurs to think that Bessie is 7mos bred and going to get her head cut off because she's just not that good of cow or just weighs to much.

We're ultrasounding my fall cows today. Absolutely no second chances. Even the short breds might not be safe.

Normally i buy some decent looking 700lb bulls in the fall and early winter and sell them the next spring to people who just want something that will breed. Not this year. I have 2.20 on cull 900 lb off color bulls now. $2,000 would usually buy a decent market bull.
And yes i know people need better bulls but many people don't buy anything but cheap.
i like to buy 4-6 yr. old cows because if there that old and still in the herd they got to be ok and raise my own heifers .

i like to buy 4-6 yr. old cows because if there that old and still in the herd they got to be ok and raise my own heifers .
A 4-6 being sold is young and has proven to be some thing... and it wasn't good... or she would still be in the pasture. 😄

Isn't it common practice for some to roll them on out around age 6 or something considered "middle aged?" They've depreciated them out maybe or some tax purpose.

I reckon it'd depend on where they've came from.
No it wouldn't help you on that angle.

3-5 is usually considered slightly used with low miles. If you are not going to keep her that is the best time to dump them, especially bred, if you want to have a chance at much above slaughter.

My thing is just don't fool yourself in to thinking people regularly dump young cattle for no reason. A cheap purchase price might outweigh that cows flaws but trying to then keep heifers and breed up off those is adding tough to tough.

Isn't it common practice for some to roll them on out around age 6 or something considered "middle aged?" They've depreciated them out maybe or some tax purpose.

The theory goes that a heifer appreciates in monetary from the time she is born until she is pregnant with her second calf. After that, she declines.

Sounds well and good on paper. But means a lot of heifer calving and getting good breed back to make money.

The theory goes that a heifer appreciates in monetary from the time she is born until she is pregnant with her second calf. After that, she declines.

Sounds well and good on paper. But means a lot of heifer calving and getting good breed back to make money.
No doubt about what you said. I'm not advocating for that practice. Just commenting on the previous few posts.

I've built my little herd from older cows I got from two guys that were hanging it up. Kept heifers from the old gals. Two of them are still here.

Not necessarily common, but the people who look at cow depreciation through the sale/buy marketing lense swear by it. However, they generally sell them as five year olds rather than four year olds.