So please tell me, who's getting rich on the cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree but here for anything other than groceries we don't have a choice unless we drive a long way. I might go to Walmart 3 times a year
They are the only place in town that have my shirts.

I can gets socks other places.
Never had use for underwear.... 🤣

I've never understood buying beef from a place that tries to sell ya socks and underwear!

Please Lord, explain to me how a diatribe of shopping (or not shopping) at a particular establishment is going to
solve the problems we are facing in the cattle business today? "I have met the enemy and he is us" Good Grief

They are the only place in town that have my shirts.

I can gets socks other places.
Never had use for underwear.... 🤣

I've never understood buying beef from a place that tries to sell ya socks and underwear!
We buy no beef there. I do buy socks and underwear. But pretty much avoid it if I can. All the smaller stores that were once here are gone.

I haven't darkened Wal-Mart's door since February of 2020, and I don't plan on going back.
My shadow hasn't crossed WalMart's door in 15-20 years. I don't plan to let it do that in the future either.
How many remember when Sam was still alive and they ran ads which said, "American made always, Always American made." Sam passed away and that was the end of that.

I go to Wal-mart. I buy my motor oil and filters there. They have 5 quart jugs where some places only have gallon jugs. The oil is made at the same place regardless of where you buy it. My neighbors don't sell oil. I could buy it at Advance auto or tractor supply or a truck stop or convenience store, but don't see where Walmart is any more evil than those other places.

Wal-mart sells what people buy. That supply and demand thing. If people did not buy it, they would not be successful and would go out of business. The consumer has influence on what they sell and somewhat where it is made.

Yep..
Please Lord, explain to me how a diatribe of shopping (or not shopping) at a particular establishment is going to
solve the problems we are facing in the cattle business today? "I have met the enemy and he is us" Good Grief

This thread is headed off the rails in 3...

The packers is the #1. Wal-Mart is trying to buy in to the packing game not packing game in to Wal-Mart.

A lot of the people servicing the producer are doing a heck of a lot better also. The auctions barn, the vet, the feed producer, etc all get to set their price and it's take it or leave it. The producer just rides the wave and takes what they are given.

I have family that were in the packing house business.
They did very well.
I've been told that one time in history, that 90% of Americans worked in agriculture and/or lived on some farm or homestead. Farming is hard work. The snowflakes certainly don't want to milk cows before the sun comes up. I'm not about to don bib overalls and pick beans all day long. Illegal Mexican farm work keeps food prices from getting even higher than they would be otherwise. I do agree with the bumper sticker that says "No Farms No Food".

It must be cool though to sit in an air-conditioned tractor or combine.

And what gives with a can of Rosarita No Fat refried beans at Walmart about $1.39 a can? Beans are the iconic poor person's food. Consumers also pay more for foods with less fat, sugar and/or salt.

Name-brand bread like Oroweat can be about $4 a loaf. Walmart chicken skinless breast is about $2.08 a pound. Pound per pound chicken is a better buy than even name-brand bread or cold breakfast cereal.

Last edited:
I go to Wal-mart. I buy my motor oil and filters there. They have 5 quart jugs where some places only have gallon jugs. The oil is made at the same place regardless of where you buy it. My neighbors don't sell oil. I could buy it at Advance auto or tractor supply or a truck stop or convenience store, but don't see where Walmart is any more evil than those other places.

Wal-mart sells what people buy. That supply and demand thing. If people did not buy it, they would not be successful and would go out of business. The consumer has influence on what they sell and somewhat where it is made.
Many Americans are simply too poor to shop anywhere else but Walmart. Walmart = Poverty Central

The packers is the #1. Wal-Mart is trying to buy in to the packing game not packing game in to Wal-Mart.

A lot of the people servicing the producer are doing a heck of a lot better also. The auctions barn, the vet, the feed producer, etc all get to set their price and it's take it or leave it. The producer just rides the wave and takes what they are given.
Exactly!

I've been told that one time in history, that 90% of Americans worked in agriculture and/or lived on some farm or homestead. Farming is hard work. The snowflakes certainly don't want to milk cows before the sun comes up. I'm not about to don bib overalls and pick beans all day long. Illegal Mexican farm work keeps food prices from getting even higher than they would be otherwise. I do agree with the bumper sticker that says "No Farms No Food".

It must be cool though to sit in an air-conditioned tractor or combine.

And what gives with a can of Rosarita No Fat refried beans at Walmart about $1.39 a can? Beans are the iconic poor person's food. Consumers also pay more for foods with less fat, sugar and/or salt.

Name-brand bread like Oroweat can be about $4 a loaf. Walmart chicken skinless breast is about $2.08 a pound. Pound per pound chicken is a better buy than even name-brand bread or cold breakfast cereal.
Well, we've always been told fat, sugar & salt are bad. Luckily we're starting to understand the whole low fat craze was garbage science and there's no reason to avoid it.

Latest posts