Some Hereford Fall Calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":1uozylvb said:
What will you do with all those calves?
The top end bull calves will be developed and sold as bulls, the rest will go into a Hereford influence feeder calf sale.
We retain some of the heifers for herd replacements and sell the rest. The bottom end will go with the steers to the
feeder sale.
DM

KNERSIE":351uxz16 said:
Stocker Steve":351uxz16 said:
mrvictordomino":351uxz16 said:
Had 110 calves out of 140 in 24 days.
No drugs, no A.I., all natural service.

Herefords are like that.

Our strongest suite by far and not utelised nearly enough by the commercial cow/calf producer!

Great pictures, Mr VictorDomino. Thank you.

110/140 is 79% on first cycle. Very nice for that large a group. What is your female/bull ratio?

Even as a beginner, it seems to me that a tight calving period has many benefits and should be a goal for most herds.

Jim

Herefords are like that.[/quote]

Our strongest suite by far and not utelised nearly enough by the commercial cow/calf producer![/quote]

Great pictures, Mr VictorDomino. Thank you.

110/140 is 79% on first cycle. Very nice for that large a group. What is your female/bull ratio?

Even as a beginner, it seems to me that a tight calving period has many benefits and should be a goal for most herds.

Jim[/quote]
I use several bulls for genetic diversity even though they are all the same bloodline. I have about 5-6 different lines to
cross back and forth in my line-breeding scheme. usually 25 females to one bull.

Per Kathie's request, some pic's showing some calves.

306 cow, 8 years old dam of herd sire JMS Victor 343 745

147 cow 10 years old, dam of 306 above. 147's first calf

Once again some calves to be proud of. How many years did it take you to get to this point?

tom4018":2hf73law said:
Once again some calves to be proud of. How many years did it take you to get to this point?
Herd was started in 1975, closed to outside females in 1987.

Latest posts