Soy Hull pellets vs. Corn Gluten

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
I have been supplementing some young cows with 4lbs of soy hull pellets for the last few months. I just called the local provider and corn gluten is cheaper. How will the corn gluten compare at the same feeding rate as far as keeping the cows in shape? What about feeding limitations on the gluten? I have also been giving the soy hull pellets to some calves I am weaning at a rate of 8lbs per day. I am considering getting a big bag of each so the switch is not so drastic.

A mix of 2/3 soy pellets and 1/3 corn gluten would be the best feed. I have fed straight corn gluten to cows to supplement and they didnt seem to do as well as the soy pellets. I feed calves that are weaned soy pellets at about 7 pounds per head per day and hay and they do well.

feelnrite":1qn1ujwk said:
A mix of 2/3 soy pellets and 1/3 corn gluten would be the best feed. I have fed straight corn gluten to cows to supplement and they didnt seem to do as well as the soy pellets. I feed calves that are weaned soy pellets at about 7 pounds per head per day and hay and they do well.
What percent protien are your soy pellets? Soy hull pellets might be 8 or 11 percent protien at best.

somn":26ahwo9y said:
feelnrite":26ahwo9y said:
What percent protien are your soy pellets? Soy hull pellets might be 8 or 11 percent protien at best.
The pellets usually run about 10% protein. I grow the calves and dont want to fatten them. They usually are not used to much feed before weaning and they do well on it. It has been cheap feed in the past and has made me money. They get free choice mineral also and usually will eat a little mineral along with soy pellets. I think I read they will need potassium with pellets.

feelnrite":rtnkncpo said:
somn":rtnkncpo said:
feelnrite":rtnkncpo said:
The pellets usually run about 10% protein. I grow the calves and dont want to fatten them. They usually are not used to much feed before weaning and they do well on it. It has been cheap feed in the past and has made me money. They get free choice mineral also and usually will eat a little mineral along with soy pellets. I think I read they will need potassium with pellets.
Okay that makes more sense to me. The way you stated it you would have been feeding way to much protien. You are feeding soy hull pellets not soy pellets. I understand now what you are saying because there is a huge difference between the two.

Latest posts