Speaking Of Cattle Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
A few days ago when I got my new Charolais Journal, I was knocked out by the front page photograph.
Congrats to my good friend Floyd Wampler (SE Char Field Director) for the pic. The animal itself is a good representative of the Char breed and the setting of the photo is perfect. Hope you enjoy it at much as I do, and hope it turns out good on your screen.

charcover.jpg

When i got the journal, I started to post the same message you did I was very impressed also...That bull is my goal in cattle breeidng...

VanC":39cwfi9f said:
That is one awesome bull. Do you know the breeder?

I know where the pic was taken, but I don't know the name of the bull in the pic.

Could be one he raised or could be a boughten bull.

Come on Mike you call that a bull. If yer gonna post a picture of a BULL on here can't you find one that is a little more masculine , beefy and looks like what we all wish we had out in the south 40. You should be ashamed of yourself. ;-) :cowboy:

MikeC":2fe12aoy said:
A few days ago when I got my new Charolais Journal, I was knocked out by the front page photograph.
Congrats to my good friend Floyd Wampler (SE Char Field Director) for the pic. The animal itself is a good representative of the Char breed and the setting of the photo is perfect. Hope you enjoy it at much as I do, and hope it turns out good on your screen.

charcover.jpg
Mike-

The setting and the bull present an interesting montage - but the angle of the bull in the picture is lousy for analyzing phenotype! One would think that if they were going to attempt to present the bull to his best advantage, they would have included "squared" side view, front view, and rear view in the body of the inside article! "Foreshortening" certainly does him no justice, and they should have gotten the flies off of him before they took the picture! "Floyd" may be a nice guy, but he sucked gas on the "TRUTH" phase of what the bull REALLY is!

But he "looks" like a fine bull, once you get the "show" preparation balony away from him, and imagine him in a pasture environment. The photographers who take these pictures do NOT do the breeds OR the breeders any favors - when you consider honesty and integrity and truthfulness. And if a breeder is going to put his FAITH and BELIEF in the bull he uses, he had better KNOW exactly what the Phenotype is - as well as the genotype, and not put all of his eggs in a PICTURE basket.

Good LOOKIN' Charolais, Mike!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, it is a good picture. That is all that it is meant to be. An appealing picture to put on the front cover of the magazine. IF we were judging him we would be more interested in a profile, a facing the bull front shot, and a rear view of the bull preferably with him standing still and square on all fours in all three shots. I wouldn't crown him National Champion from what we see; but I definitely like what I see.

Hou-wee thats a man......Sorry Doc, I dont often disagree with you, but even I couldnt make that bull look bad in a picture.

Judging by the comments the picture is doing exactly what it is intended to do. Get your attention and make you think this is a great animal. That is what good photography, as to marketing, is all about. The good buyer looks past this and requires pics. like doc describes.

One would think that if they were going to attempt to present the bull to his best advantage, they would have included "squared" side view, front view, and rear view in the body of the inside article!

This not an advertisement for this particular bull. There is no "inside article". :lol:

And for you to elude that "Floyd" is being less than "Truthful" on "what the bull really is", is downright ignorant and asinine.
But he "looks" like a fine bull, once you get the "show" preparation balony away from him, and imagine him in a pasture environment.

"Show" preparation baloney? You can't tell this bull has not been clipped nor "show" fitted? Then to say they should have goten the flies off him? WOW!

Have you been diagnosed as having "Dementia" yet? :lol2:

I am truly sorry you missed the theme of the photo by going off on a wild tangent here. Truly I am. :roll: :roll:

Couple things, flies are part of the real world of cattle ranching. No cattleman is going to bat an eye at a few flies in the Summertime. I'm never going to claim to be an expert but, I like everything about the bull, only question would be, what is his birth weight.

I like everything about the bull, only question would be, what is his birth weight.

If he is the bull I think he might be. His BW was 82 lbs. But since this is not an advertisement and only placed on the front cover to promote Chars in aggregate, and provide an eye pleasing experience, I have no way of knowing who he is unless I call Floyd (or the rancher) and ask them.

But since Floyd is less than "Truthful" as defined by some, will I get the truth? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why don't you ask Doc what his BW is? He seems to know absolutely everything else and he can probably judge BW by the bulls' phenotype in the picture!!! :D :D :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

MikeC":2oehruz9 said:
I like everything about the bull, only question would be, what is his birth weight.

If he is the bull I think he might be. His BW was 82 lbs. But since this is not an advertisement and only placed on the front cover to promote Chars in aggregate, and provide an eye pleasing experience, I have no way of knowing who he is unless I call Floyd (or the rancher) and ask them.

But since Floyd is less than "Truthful" as defined by some, will I get the truth? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why don't you ask Doc what his BW is? He seems to know absolutely everything else and he can probably judge BW by the bulls' phenotype in the picture!!! :D :D :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
No, I don't think Doc can judge the bull's BW by phenotype because of the wrong camera angle and besides, he's got all those flies on him! 8)

+
MikeC":20vs2l6t said:

Mike-

Aw-w-w Gee Whiz, Mike. :cry2: ...that sarcasm doesn't wear well on you! . . . . on second thought, though :nod: . Oh, well.

....I would have estimated his BW somewhere in the range of 78 lbs and 93 lbs - - but that would have been only a guess.

While we are discussing phenotype of this fine looking bull, let's REALLY analyze him (from this PICTURE only!) a little more closely. He LOOKS like a bull SHOULD look - typical Charolais front end (head and neck and hair), firm brisket, Terminal-type functional traits - (Sound feet and legs-but can't see the feet because of the deep flowers-and only two half-legs, shoulders and spine 'look' okay, tight udders, and small teats - but his scrotum is partly covered by yellow blossoms, - which makes for a pretty picture, but no scrotal EPD's are in evidence. Disposition, femininity, and fleshing ability aren't "showing" in this portrait, but the body capacity is indicated, but only moderately presented - so much so that his lack of spring of rib just behind the shoulder is obvious, but his heart girth is subjective, given that the perspective of the picture partially obliterates the floor of his chest, making it somewhat of a "guessing game' for specificity).

His hindquarter muscle expression is "Terminally" obvious, and typical of a desirable Charolais bull - HOWEVER, while we are on the subject - his rump DOES SEEM to slope off from his hooks to his pin bones - but the legitimate structural phenotype is obviated and precluded from observance by the obliteration of the hindquarters resulting from the "Professional Photographer's" prerogative of 'subject positioning'! In other words, one may anticipate his Phenotype, but because of the 'foreshortening' effect of the photograph making him appear deeper, thicker, and 'not-as-long' as his skeletal structure really may be, one does not REALLY KNOW what he actually presents in real life - FROM THIS PICTURE ONLY!

Mike, if you will read again my original post on this bull - carefully, you will see that I said, "...if they were going to present the bull to his best advantgage, they would have included "squared" side view, front view, and rear view in the body of the article! That being accomplished, one could get a more accurate impression of what THIS bull really is, and what most Charolais bulls are, and should be.

I don't consider Professional Livestock Photographers are more deceptive than I do "professional" show stock fitters. In My Opinion - they ALL prevaricate, equivocate, waffle, evade, dodge, cover-up, sidestep, and euphemize when relating to their subject matter... and that is fine, so long as the people who are reviewing that subject matter are aware of the presented image, and not necessarily the absolute factual truths. THAT'S what live observance, pedigree perusal and study, and EPD's are intended to do.

He is a good LOOKIN' Charolais, Mike. I have no problem with him, or the fact that he is a terrific image for the cover of the "CHAROLAIS Journal". :|

DOC HARRIS

Mike, if you will read again my original post on this bull - carefully, you will see that I said, "...if they were going to present the bull to his best advantgage, they would have included "squared" side view, front view, and rear view in the body of the article!

I read your original post. I read it well. You must not have read my response to it. :roll: :roll:

I reiterate.......THERE IS NO ARTICLE!!!!!

This is not an advertisement!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: