stacking hay

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
Are there any pros or cons to stacking round rolls of hay. I know if a fire got started it would be a lot harder to put out or save the hay but anything else??

When we move them out of the field they've already absorbed a little moisture in the bottoms. I stack the bottom bales with that side down and roll the next teir so that the damp side is up and doesn;t rest on the lower bales.

We put rolls on wood pallets and stack them two high. Sure makes it easier to cover them with a tarp.

Late last winter we bought some hay that had not been covered.
What a difference!

Farmgirl

rc":1fdlzc4r said:
Are there any pros or cons to stacking round rolls of hay. I know if a fire got started it would be a lot harder to put out or save the hay but anything else??
heres a tip for you.never stack a years worth of hay in one place.because if your hay catches fire.youve lost all your hay.always stack hay in 3 or 4 places if you can.that may prevent you from losing all your hay if something happens.

Farmgirl brings up a very valid point. If you aren;t going to stack it inside or tarp it, don;t stack it. Just creates more rot spots on the bottom bales.

When stacking hay in very humid environments without a barn or tarp its best to stack the rolls end to end as tightly as possible with rows approximately 2 to 3 feet apart. Usually this is on a slope that runs in the direction of the rows of hay so the water will drain between the bales. Stacking them multiple bales high is not advisable because you create places for moisture to accumulate and rot the hay.

When we first moved to the farm we would use the stack mover and it would haul 11 bales. Three were on the top. The guys would always say, we'll unpile them later. got busy and later never happened or happened to late.
in the last few years my husband has rented a hay hauler where the bales are hauled in rows rather than stacked. He has noticed a big difference in the quality of the hay as well as the time and $ saver of not having to go and unpile later.
JMO

If stacked in single high rows run the rows norh and south.
This allows sunlight and drying winds between rows.
If not covered I don't "jam" together again to allow it to dry.
If covering jam as tight as possible and make sure the tiedowns/cover weights are in the middle of the bale instead of at a seam.
Three bale pyramid built as dun suggested running north and south.

We don't pile bales we bunch them in rows leaving 2 or 3 feet between the rows if the rows are touching when it snows the snow will sit in the groove and rot the hay. we leave 10 feet between every 4 to 5 rows in case of fire.

We stack 2 high. The bottom bale we put on end, as it may be 3 years before that hay gets used and the strings will rot off if on the ground too long. If we didnt have that problem I would probably just stack them so they are the right position and direction to pick up with the hydrabed without having to flip them over.

Latest posts