Steer with mislocated penis

Help Support CattleToday:

Never seen that. He always been that way? Did something happen during castration?

Did it have external testicles? I've seen intersex animals where the line between sheath and vulva got pretty blurry.
That's my question too. Seen several pseudohermaphrodites with weird parts in weird places. As long as he can urinate and is castrated he should be fine.

He was banded and vaccinated at around three weeks of age. I do remember his testicles being very small and soft like some new borns are. It was one of those that you have to be careful and check to make sure you got both.
I really didn't pay much attention to him. A few weeks ago I just noticed that he looked like a heifer on his belly and first thought that I made a mistake and put a steer tag on a girl but you can see hair around the penis like a steer, its just not in the normal place.

His mother is a 9 year old cow that has very bad front feet like she is foundered. It is not foot rot. This is her seventh calf. She doesn't get around well and is losing condition so I am going to wean the calf early and send her to a packing house. This is the reason he is in the pens where I caught him peeing.

The calf is not growing as well as he should but I credit most of that to the declining health of his mother. Her milk production seems to be very poor.

I am not sure what to do with the calf but will probably turn him back out with the herd and let me rob some milk and graze out the rest of the summer.

Another steer with a penis thread!

That's very interesting @bird dog
Never seen that before. What's he weigh/age? If mamas supplying milk I'd leave em together as long as possible. He will surely do better than stealing off other cows. Obviously he's healthy enough to make his destination.

Cull prices are gonna hold steady I reckon for a while.

Thanks for sharing. Learn something new every day!

Edit...
Just re-read last post. Maybe it's best to send her now before she keels over.

He was banded and vaccinated at around three weeks of age. I do remember his testicles being very small and soft like some new borns are.
I really didn't pay much attention to him. A few weeks ago I just noticed that he looked like a heifer on his belly and first thought that I made a mistake and put a steer tag on a girl but you can see hair around the penis like a steer, its just not in the normal place.
Good thing you aren't raising him for a bull... (wink)

Latest posts