Tips on keeping skeeters from biting you

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1wybdxby said:
Beefy":1wybdxby said:
what i hate is those new teenage mutant ninja skeeters that are about the size of a mosquito hawk and can penetrate thru your clothing. the suck hardcore.

Beefy, about two maybe three years ago a hurricane came up from the south bringing with it these HUGE skeeters the size of a horse fly. Did you get any of these? You had to hit them twice to kill them otherwise they'd just shake if off and fly away. :shock: Entomologist said they would die off cause they couldn't live here. He was right but the few weeks they were here made life rather unbearable.

Are you sure those weren' seagulls?

cattleluvr18":3m5ksk9f said:
msscamp":3m5ksk9f said:
cattleluvr18":3m5ksk9f said:
Jogeephus":3m5ksk9f said:
During mosquito season

Don't eat bananas. When your body processes them a chemical is created that attracts them.

i eat bananas for the potasium b/c after softball games i get cramps in my calves. oh well, i think i'd rather have a skeeter bite then a cramp....much less painful.

Try slicing up a fresh lemon and adding a slice to a glass/bottle of water. The lemon helps your body purge the lactic acid (a residue of exercise) which is causing the cramps in your legs. This little remedy also works well for hangovers - not that I've ever had one, though! :oops: :lol: :lol:

like i need to know about the hangover part... :p

That was not intended for you, I just thought it might come in handy, so I included it! :p :p :lol: :lol:

I have been told that a few drops of lemon fresh
dish liquid with water placed in a white dish attracts
and kills skeeters. I guess it might be worth trying.
R.T.

Bluestem":28n4giwb said:

Thanks Bluestem, that is very interesting. We have a lot of that around here. I knew it was supposed to be good for the skin and all but didn't know it would keep the skeeters off. We just had a new hatch of some giant mosquitoes and they are everywhere. I'll put it to the test. Thanks.

I think a post about root doctoring would be pretty interesting being that many of our present medicines were derived from plants and such.

dun":2gazyrt9 said:
Bluestem":2gazyrt9 said:

Ah progress! This from the Missouri plaqnt site: This species can no longer be found wild in the state of Missouri. According to Steyermark the last wild habitat of the plant was eliminated by the building of the Table Rock Dam.

If you need a start or two of it I have alot of it at my place.
In fact I can't get rid of it.

KenB":20uz07bs said:
dun":20uz07bs said:
Bluestem":20uz07bs said:

Ah progress! This from the Missouri plaqnt site: This species can no longer be found wild in the state of Missouri. According to Steyermark the last wild habitat of the plant was eliminated by the building of the Table Rock Dam.

If you need a start or two of it I have alot of it at my place.
In fact I can't get rid of it.

That's tempting. The article also said that missouri is at the northern extreme of it's range which is kind of discouraging

wow i never knew that about beauty berry. i have the stuff all over! i was thinking about potting some, actually. been seeing it for sale in garden centers.

A good way to eliminate them so you don't have to worry about it at all, especially in hte yard, around the house, is Bats. We have several, and mosquitos do not exist here.

GMN

GMN":2uba5phs said:
A good way to eliminate them so you don't have to worry about it at all, especially in hte yard, around the house, is Bats. We have several, and mosquitos do not exist here.

GMN

I put a bat house in a tree in the front yard.

Somone might have said this but bounce drier sheets work great. If they are real bad tuck a sheet in your shirt. I don't know why they work but they do. It's what we use when we fish on the river. If you don't they will eat you alive.

Latest posts