Tractor is too loud- Two mufflers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richardin52

Reaction score
I have a New Holland TN series tractor. It has a muffler under the hood and then a strait pipe that goes up. Great tractor but it's very loud and has a open operator station. I've looked at other NH TN series tractors and they all seam loud.

We have another make tractor that also has a muffler that looks similar under the hood that is very quite.

So why is it so loud and whats the best way to fix it? Stuff steel wool into the current muffler? put another muffler on the stack? something else?

Love the tractor hate the noise.

Bought the tractor new in 2005 and I have been using hearing protection sence it was new. But now that we bought the other tractor and it's so quiet I was just wondering if there was something I could do to make the New Holland quite down a little.

Common sence would be to put a muffler that works on a machine that's too loud, thats why they make them.

Then you should do what common sense tells you to do. I'm thinking you arent as old as some of us on here because I think all my tractors run quiet. when I get down from running it for several hours, the wife asks me a question, and I just go "huh?" :cowboy:

if you dont have alot of tree limbs and your barn is highenough add 6 to 12 inches of pipe to get it above your head you will be surprised what a difference that makes.

Thanks M5farm,

That gives me an idea. The pipe ends about level with the top of the tractor canopy so maybe it would help to extend it out over the canopy.

Limomike, I don't know how old the rest of you are but I'm sixty one in August and have been farming ever since I could sit on a kick rake and reach the peddle. How about you?

There is a aftermarket tractor muffler you can buy online that will drop the decibel rating down quite a bit. I can't remember the name right now, but you will sacrifice performance because the exhaust isn't as free-flowing as a straight pipe.

Sky 10 years ago I would agree with you. Now I like them quiet. I sure as heck don't like running open station stuff with a straight pipe. I like them so I can barely hear the radio enough to song to steering wheel but still hear if all hell is breaking loose behind me. I spend more time watching behind me most of the time anyway but I still need to hear what's going on. OP have you looked to see if the OEM muffler has a hole or if you have a leak before the muffler?

I had a gas 460 international that was horrible loud. The muffler stuck up just to the left of the driver. I turned it so that the opening was aimed forward instrad of backward and that helped a very little. I finally juts made an adapter off the manifold and routed it down and had the exhausr coming out under and behind me. That helped a lot.

High Cotton":32iuga2u said:
Sky 10 years ago I would agree with you. Now I like them quiet. I sure as heck don't like running open station stuff with a straight pipe. I like them so I can barely hear the radio enough to song to steering wheel but still hear if all be nice is breaking loose behind me. I spend more time watching behind me most of the time anyway but I still need to hear what's going on. OP have you looked to see if the OEM muffler has a hole or if you have a leak before the muffler?

Gotcha... I guess I haven't been around one long enough to get tired of it yet.

Latest posts