Tractor Supply employees are stupid

Help Support CattleToday:

Our nearest TSC store is over an hour away......and they cater to the suburban folks just like our Southern States store does now.

Buy 80% of my livestock items from a local feed store........almost like family.although the one feller there that loads ya seems to always ask for my wife to pick up feed instead of me..... (think he's in love or lust).

My neighbor grinds alot of our feed as well.

I do go to SS or TSC for specific items that I can't find elsewhere, and I always bargain hunt for stuff like broken bags of mineral, out of season items etc.

Jeffers, or Valley Vet supply has some of the best prices, and selection for vaccines etc.

But yr right, the feed is not very good quality, the prices for it are too high, ( assuming that they handle each bag sooo many times) and you pretty much just have to know what you want, and try and find it.........I get all my Muck boots from there every spring when they close them out for the summer......great deals there.......and I do love them Mucks. ;-)

I thought I was the only one. Yesterday I was on a rant about TSC. I called them about seeding a pasture for cows and they tried to sell me lawn grass seed. I asked them what kind of seed was in it and they said "inert matter", "weed seed". I said look around on the bag and they came back with, inert matter, and weed seed. That is the kind of seeds in it. I tried calling a farm feed and supply dealer and they suggested that I call back on another day when the owner is in cause they don't know anything. They never heard of birdsfoot trefoil. The called it teafoil. How is it that only stupid people can get jobs.

woodspirit":8n2743uj said:
How is it that only stupid people can get jobs.

Frequently they're the only ones that will work for the wage being paid.

dun

dun":38y4hym9 said:
woodspirit":38y4hym9 said:
How is it that only stupid people can get jobs.

Frequently they're the only ones that will work for the wage being paid.

dun

That would be a true statement in any part of the country.

Ok after reading what I wrote about TSC and others, I would like to make clear that I'm sure that are some knowledgeable people working there and elsewhere. I finally called the store that I was sure would be able to help me and they did. They are just a little farther away than I would like to drive. They are a small town store in Avoca NY. They will drop everything to help people and they try 110 %.

I was at the feed store a while back. While waiting to be helped I couldn't help but hear the counter man giving the man ahead of me the wrong advise. The man wanted innoculate for clover seed and the counter guy said you don't need it and it is a waste of money. I butted in when maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut. The counter man told me that I didn't know what I was talking about. So I pull the little card out of my wallet that say I am a certified crop adviser from the American Society of Agronomy and asked him what his qualifications were. He shut up and got the man his innoculate. But ever since then I can't get any service from him. I have to ask another employee if I need help. But all those feed stores hire minimum wage types to work in them. I guess you get what you pay for.

Dave

bullred":epapx9lj said:
Don't you see the problem here? You're buying these things from Tractor Supply rather than your local family-run feed store, or your local veterinarian (which generally have knowledgeable people) because Tractor Supply is the cheapest.........CJ

I didn't repost the entire thing, but well said bullred.

woodspirit":27txjhk5 said:
The first time in my life I ever went to a Wal-mart was last year.
I know a bunch of people that refuse to shop at Wal-Mart. Wish I could get the Wife to feel that way, all the time.They'd own the world if they could.

Just noticed the other day that they are grating for a new tsc in our area, well about 10 mins N of here. First one that I know of anywhere around. You guys aren't making me feel very excited about it, especially since bf's family (who I live with and all ?'s pertain to their cows) owns a tractor and equip. supply business and have been around longer than me. LoL though considering how much I know about livestock it sounds like a great place for me to get a job. J/K

Dave":2r04rq83 said:
I was at the feed store a while back. While waiting to be helped I couldn't help but hear the counter man giving the man ahead of me the wrong advise. The man wanted innoculate for clover seed and the counter guy said you don't need it and it is a waste of money. I butted in when maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut. The counter man told me that I didn't know what I was talking about. So I pull the little card out of my wallet that say I am a certified crop adviser from the American Society of Agronomy and asked him what his qualifications were. He shut up and got the man his innoculate. But ever since then I can't get any service from him. I have to ask another employee if I need help. But all those feed stores hire minimum wage types to work in them. I guess you get what you pay for.

Dave

I guess you get what you pay for. Well said...

I sometimes feel like a TSC employee. I am in there quite often getting gates, bolts (by the pound), welding supplies, oil filters, oil, and other stuff. It is so much easier for me to get in and out of there than any of the other places around me. Real good folks but don't know much. Many times I am in there a couple of the girls that work there point to me and say "ask him, he will know". I kid them about getting paid.

I go to the local feed store for all my feed and seed and even they are not the brightest lamps in the chandelier. They also don't carry much other than tack.

Now that just makes my day! I am approaching retirement and about 6 months ago, decided to apply for a job at the Tractor Supply that's about 12 miles from my Ranch. I was raised on a dairy farm and been around cattle and horses all my life. I can't even get them to talk to me...must be over-qualified. What would George S. do if he knew about this?

Lynn":qdutlhxl said:
Now that just makes my day! I am approaching retirement and about 6 months ago, decided to apply for a job at the Tractor Supply that's about 12 miles from my Ranch. I was raised on a dairy farm and been around cattle and horses all my life. I can't even get them to talk to me...must be over-qualified. What would George S. do if he knew about this?
You are over qualified & a little long in the old toof for a tractor supply employee.how much did you put down on the application as for pay. that may have scared them. they just need bodys not brains.

I've had a little better luck than most of the comments here. I agree that service is poor at most places that pay low wages. Dad and I both spend as much time helping the local 4-H and FFA as possible. If you live in an area that is mostly "hobby farming" or horse novices you'll need the future investment those young'ins will have.

One time I went to our local IFA and asked for hog rings...by golly, they didnt know what they were and therefore told me they didnt carry them...I wandered the store and found them myself on the shelf...and the employees in this store DID have an ag background...go figure. :cboy:

johndeerefarmer":28nhqr99 said:
I sent my mother by Tractor Supply in Sherman Texas to pick up some blackleg vaccine. None of the employees their had ever heard of blackleg or knew nothing about it.
Stupid people. They keep it in their refrigerator all of the time.

Of course the bottle says clostridium on it not blackleg.

You would think that they would train their employees.......

It's not just the young ones either. I asked a 65 or so year old main for a clevis the other day. He said, "what's a clevis"?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
- - - -and he probably would not know what a "Bastard" file is , either :roll: - - or a set of Double Trees (they call 'em "Eveners" now).- - - how about a Tail Crupper?

DOC HARRIS

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! :shock: :shock: :D :eek: :eek: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

A particular file is legitimately named "Bastard" - not a "be nice" file. :lol: I am NOT kidding!

DOC HARRIS

Macon - I don't EVEN believe this! I am sure that a lot of readers on this post know what I am trying to say, and it aint "be nice"!!! It is a long piece of metal with angled grooves on it and it is used to 'scrape' metal! SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOC

Latest posts