Turned out today.

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know your area, but would guess protein deficient. They can digest a fence post with enough 28% protein cake.
Probably not that but i did consider testing it. Most years it tests 17-19%. I think less this year.
Think I will call our extension agent in the morning and get some tested.

Last edited:
Kenny I always put out protein tubs this time of year and feed a little cake every other day and no hay unless bad weather or stockpile is gone.

Kenny I always put out protein tubs this time of year and feed a little cake every other day and no hay unless bad weather or stockpile is gone.
In the past i have not seen a reason to add protein when it tests 17-19%. No cake sold anywhere here. Cows look great but just dont seem satisfied.

In the past i have not seen a reason to add protein when it tests 17-19%. No cake sold anywhere here. Cows look great but just dont seem satisfied.
It that grass quite green and high moisture? Against your wishes you may want to feed a little hay for dry matter. Doesn't even have to be the best hay. That protein is plenty for the bunch you have on it.

I do think, at least on mine, that it's got more fiber than normal. And probably less protein than normal. I didn't fertilize. But with all the clover it should have been be pretty good in the nitrpgen dept. Mine has a good bit of dead brown stuff in it. It never did get choked out by cool season stuff cause of the dryness.

They've been testing the fence enough that I took it down. Letting them pick their diet in the field they're in. I may toss a couple tubs out and see what happens.

@gcreekrch - not nearly as green as it should be. Not much moisture in it either.

Last edited:
After a few days of grazing the cows seemed to settle in and are fine. Our Ag Extension Agent is coming today to take some forage samples anyway. I feel because of the dry weather this fall it is higher in fiber and lower protein. But as i have stated the protein is normally too high.

We seem to have a problem with the stockpile. We had a very dry fall and there is some brown in the grass. The cows are full but act hungry. I talked to clinchvalley86 and another producer today and both have noticed the same issue. Cows aren't cleaning it up as well as normal. May have to resort to some extra protein to get them to clean it up. Thoughts?
@kenny thomas, stay on top of this. What you are describing is more of a problem where you are in Ohio. However, I have seen producers starve their cattle with full rumens in Ohio, so it's not unheard of even in the east. If the added protein doesn't/didn't work, start a regiment of bale grazing combined with strip grazing, if at all possible. Not that you want to buy and feed hay. By this I mean get some higher nutrition hay bales, pre-place it in the stockpiled fields, and strip graze with the bales 'mixed in'. The better nutritional quality of the bales should raise the plane of nutrition for the animals to the point they won't be hungry or starve. Watch the Body Condition Score of the livestock closely this winter.

@kenny thomas, stay on top of this. What you are describing is more of a problem where you are in Ohio. However, I have seen producers starve their cattle with full rumens in Ohio, so it's not unheard of even in the east. If the added protein doesn't/didn't work, start a regiment of bale grazing combined with strip grazing, if at all possible. Not that you want to buy and feed hay. By this I mean get some higher nutrition hay bales, pre-place it in the stockpiled fields, and strip graze with the bales 'mixed in'. The better nutritional quality of the bales should raise the plane of nutrition for the animals to the point they won't be hungry or starve. Watch the Body Condition Score of the livestock closely this winter.
That made all the difference for me. You are 100% on point.

I started unrolling a bale a day for 47 head while they had a whole field of stockpile. They had been being real selective and guts not looking filled. Threw a couple tubs out a few days after starting 1 bale a day. They've finally started utilizing the stockpile to an acceptable degree. They're eating everything and cleaning the bale up for the most part. They'll be gaining condition if it keeps up.

Latest posts