Uhhhhh Johnson grass??

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I don't know much about it but my pastures that have no cows are loaded and I've never had it before. I haven't brought in any hay my fields have never had more than a few sprigs this is ridiculous maybe I've always seed banks and this rain 5+ inches a week is bringing bit out.. I hate it.

You probably always had some and the cows just kept it eaten down...now it's rained so much they can't keep up with it?

I don't know how you can be 100% sure you never had any come in with hay...it don't take many seed heads per bale to get a good stand going.

greybeard":37zmubzk said:
You probably always had some and the cows just kept it eaten down...now it's rained so much they can't keep up with it?

I don't know how you can be 100% sure you never had any come in with hay...it don't take many seed heads per bale to get a good stand going.

Well I say that it doesn't come in with hay because I raise my own and have never had any in hay i cut. That is entirely possible could have some they kept ate down but where did all the seeds for this come from?? I know nothing about the stuff so not being argumentative I am literally lost as to how it came out like this

skyhightree1":3q0vol3z said:
I don't know much about it but my pastures that have no cows are loaded and I've never had it before. I haven't brought in any hay my fields have never had more than a few sprigs this is ridiculous maybe I've always seed banks and this rain 5+ inches a week is bringing bit out.. I hate it.
Some guys have all the luck. I love JG, especially in the hayfields.

Lazy M":eiyovjk1 said:
skyhightree1":eiyovjk1 said:
Some guys have all the luck. I love JG, especially in the hayfields.

PLEASE COME HELP YOURSELF I HATE IT...

Cut and bale it, cows love it. I've heard if you are in drought conditions and you put the cows on to graze it can be dangerous for cows. ??

Hereford2":363ln3rg said:
Cut and bale it, cows love it. I've heard if you are in drought conditions and you put the cows on to graze it can be dangerous for cows. ??

probably going to let them eat it down but pay more attention and kill it next year.

Hereford2":363ln3rg said:
Johnson Grass will get 7 feet tall if you leave it to grow.

I believe it the stuff looks like baby bamboo shoots.

it sure can be a pain if you don't want it, and can get away from you in a hurry after a lot of rain like that. I fall on the side of those that like having some johnsongrass. Cows love it, but there's always concern in back of my mind about Prussic acid grazing it and nitrates in the hay. That being said, johnsongrass hay has got our cows and a lot of other cows in our area through many a winter.

skyhightree1":36px1l0i said:
probably going to let them eat it down but pay more attention and kill it next year.

It's late this coming fall you will have to watch it Sky, between 1st frost and 1st hard freeze. When it starts to come back from the first frost, is when a danger of nitrates is high....around here anyway. That far North, your 1st frost may be so hard it won't come back.

greybeard":156rhg4e said:
skyhightree1":156rhg4e said:

It's late this coming fall you will have to watch it Sky, between 1st frost and 1st hard freeze. When it starts to come back from the first frost, is when a danger of nitrates is high....around here anyway. That far North, your 1st frost may be so hard it won't come back.

Thanks for the tip our frosts normally start october

skyhightree1":1kzuf4hq said:

Put any steel in the ground lately? Seeds (seem to) remain dormant for Eons, buried in the soil. Bring them to the top and walla they sprout. It takes years of cultivation to rid yourself of them.....somewhat.

Don't know what your usage is but I was surfing awhile back and saw a chart of 10 grasses and JG, untended, no fert, cut properly, vs fertilized Coastal were neck and neck on Protein and TDN.....way out front of the rest of the crowd.....that's unfertilized, untended JG. Horses that graze it in mixed, untended pastures here have no problems with it in hay and cows will beat a path to your doorstep for it....no brag just fact. BTDT

A.J.":3kn00zqv said:
it sure can be a pain if you don't want it, and can get away from you in a hurry after a lot of rain like that. I fall on the side of those that like having some johnsongrass. Cows love it, but there's always concern in back of my mind about Prussic acid grazing it and nitrates in the hay. That being said, johnsongrass hay has got our cows and a lot of other cows in our area through many a winter.

I'm an ex city boy been trying to learn how to farm for 40 years. Never have I seen nor heard any of the boys at the coffee shop, that refer to tractors by color, not name, been farming/ranching all their lives, mention anybody having a dead equine or bovine from Prussic Acid poisioning. Lots of animals that free roam, feed lots with pastures for bovine production and all.

Some basic precautions to take if worried, but not that big of a deal for what you get out of it. Plenty of Ag. school published data. If you are worried, Nitrate Poisoning in "foodstuffs" is another problem to think about that can, might, could, is possible, heard of it happening, on and on......but when you read up on it, check out the quantity of N applied to the soil for those mentioning problems. I noted such recently on one of these forums and the amount that caused problems in the article, would put you in the poor house if you applied at that rate.

Texasmark":1tkyq14y said:
skyhightree1":1tkyq14y said:

Put any steel in the ground lately? Seeds (seem to) remain dormant for Eons, buried in the soil. Bring them to the top and walla they sprout. It takes years of cultivation to rid yourself of them.....somewhat.

Don't know what your usage is but I was surfing awhile back and saw a chart of 10 grasses and JG, untended, no fert, cut properly, vs fertilized Coastal were neck and neck on Protein and TDN.....way out front of the rest of the crowd.....that's unfertilized, untended JG. Horses that graze it in mixed, untended pastures here have no problems with it in hay and cows will beat a path to your doorstep for it....no brag just fact. BTDT

I sub soiled some of the pastures but the JG isn't where I did it at ... atleast not in the immediate area

I have it some of my pastures. It's the first thing the cows will eat and it grows fast. It also grows good when it's hot and the fescue starts to slow down. I wouldn't care to have a whole field of it to graze cows on. But I don't like it in my hay fields. It matures a lot faster than the other grasses. If you wait to long to mow it and it gets to big the cows don't seem to eat it as good.

skyhightree1":2hd7q000 said:

If you knew more about it maybe you wouldn't hate it.

Rafter S":2xgvb32s said:
skyhightree1":2xgvb32s said:

If you knew more about it maybe you wouldn't hate it.

I guess i really don't but ive gotten pm's and text saying folks wish they had it so i guess i will let it stay

Latest posts