Vertical cracks in hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what might cause cracks in hooves and how to treat this? I think more than one hoof is involved.

Junehoof3-07.jpg

They are called sand cracks, well at least the one coming from the top of the hoof is.Some blame it on mineral deficiency and others the type of year;but I have purebreds with this condition when it is wet or dry and they always have sufficient minerals.They also get proper hoof trimming when needed.
When you find a real solution that works let me know as I and about 100 other's I know with this problem that have tried everything would like to know.Also I do know some quick fixes probably all the quick fixes but it does not cure the problem for good.

Gale Seddon":35jvdwpp said:
Can anyone tell me what might cause cracks in hooves and how to treat this? I think more than one hoof is involved.

Junehoof3-07.jpg

That looks painful!!!!! I would also say some kind of deficeny
what about calcuim?hope it gets better...

I have tried the horse tar after cleaning the hoof really well and it just made it worse.The only thing that did seem to help was to rub horse linament into the hoof twice a day.But that is very time consuming.The only ones that get the sand cracks all my best PB cows three are GV and one is a red AN so I think the gentics being passed down through breeding are a little higher in feet and legs than beef farmers acknowlege.I would cull them but I need a few more animals out the them before they can pay for themselves and yet hate to pass on the genetics so I really watch what I breed them to.Also in really wet periods it seems to trigger them as they never have them in the months of Oct-July.I have also been told by my hoof trimmer that he can grind the crack right down and it should come back as normal but not sure if I want to do that.I would rather have a lame one for a week than one that I would have to cull because something went wrong.If you find something that works really well let me know.

Sand cracks are common and seem to not cause too much trouble.

If things get out of hand you can have a certified trimmer come in and do some work, but in the end you may have to ship it.

BTAIM, if the cow is not hurting you might let Mom Nature continue on.

Good luck,

Bez>

Bez, that is the problem with two of them they do get lame and I end up hauling food and water out in pasture for them twice a day until the hoof heals.I guess I have to decide which is more valuable the cow or my time.This year I am going to keep them with my specialty cows where they don't have to move around as much and see if that makes a difference also they won't be able to walk around in any standing water.

Latest posts