We can’t kill them all…..

Help Support CattleToday:

We were out hiking in the sage brush one day and saw a hawk stoop into a dive and hit the ground. It was hidden behind the groundcover and my wife was closer, so she peeled off and approached with me following her. The hawk took off just as my wife could look down... and she did the fastest 180 degree turn ever... and accelerated toward me with BIG eyes. "Snake!", she bellowed! I had to see it and it was a rattlesnake.
Sorry we disturbed the hawk.

I don't kill snakes unless it's not convenient to capture a poisonous one to throw it where there aren't any buildings. They get tossed out in the sticks where they can do their thing.

I kill every rattle snake I see. Enough calves, dogs, and horse get bit around here that I do my best to thin them out. Set a new record last year, I killed 21 of them. And I don't go out in the rocks looking for them. That is just the ones on the driveway, in the road, or hiding in the flower beds.

Back to the original subject. I knew a man with a 200 foot sheer rock cliff on the edge of his place. Every now and then he would find a yearling bull at the bottom of the cliff. One day he was doing chores and saw an older bull T bone a young bull right off the edge of the cliff. Mystery solved. And old bull got a quick trip to town.

I kill every rattle snake I see. Enough calves, dogs, and horse get bit around here that I do my best to thin them out. Set a new record last year, I killed 21 of them. And I don't go out in the rocks looking for them. That is just the ones on the driveway, in the road, or hiding in the flower beds.

Back to the original subject. I knew a man with a 200 foot sheer rock cliff on the edge of his place. Every now and then he would find a yearling bull at the bottom of the cliff. One day he was doing chores and saw an older bull T bone a young bull right off the edge of the cliff. Mystery solved. And old bull got a quick trip to town.
wow, he figured out how to get rid of the competition permanantly

I used to catch canebrake rattlers, copperheads and coral snakes in the yard and give a 'ride out of town' (let them go in some isolated place far from people). I would get a stick and hold their heads down, then get a hold of them right behind the jaws so they couldn't bite. Then drop 'em in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. They have their place in nature.

I also gave big Texas Rat snakes rides out of town. They can grow to 6 or 7 feet, AKA Piney woods pythons. Usually caught eating eggs in the henhouse. You tap their nose. A female will try to bite one time and quit, a male just keeps on biting. So I would use these aggressive males in a walled pen to teach my dogs to avoid snakes. Now I live in Oregon. All there is here is garter snakes and rubber boas, a small brown snake.

I have caught many, many rat snakes. I just take them somewhere else and give them a home. I only kill snakes when a snake needs killing. They make the world a little more interesting. You guys don't have rattlesnakes in Oregon? They have them in Washington.

I have caught many, many rat snakes. I just take them somewhere else and give them a home. I only kill snakes when a snake needs killing. They make the world a little more interesting. You guys don't have rattlesnakes in Oregon? They have them in Washington.
It depends on which side of the Cascade mountains you are on. The west side doesn't have rattlers. The east side has them. I am in far eastern Oregon. Plenty of rattlers here.

Latest posts