Went on vacation last week

Help Support CattleToday:

I took a picture of the Wallowa Mountains this morning while deer hunting. It would be more impressive if there were snow on them but by this time of the year they are just rock. The tallest one, Eagle Cap is 9594 ft tall. I could see the Elkhorn Mts. west of Baker from there too. The tallest one of those is 9100+. I was at about 5,400 feet where I was hunting.

Attachments

• PA012699.JPG
    PA012699.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 7
My wife and I drove to Red River, NM last week. We got there on Wednesday afternoon, and stayed until Monday morning. The weather was perfect, with it getting down into the 30's every night, and low 70's during the day, and no rain. The leaves were just starting to turn colors when we left.

We saw a lot of pretty country. I'm 60 years old, and that was my first time seeing mountains, but I don't intend it to be the last. We had a very good trip, and enjoyed everything about it.

We went through Fort Worth and spent the first night in Amarillo, then drove on to Red River, and coming home we took a more southerly route, coming into Texas at Mule Shoe, and spent the night at Post, the first town past Lubbock. We saw some lonesome country in New Mexico, with towns 50+ miles apart, and some of those were very small towns.
Planning a trip now for next summer out to that area and just west of there for a couple of weeks. Been beating on the wife for years to move out that way so going to take her out and show it to her first hand. Some pretty, pretty country out there and the weather is fantastic!

I've climbed a lot of mountains in my life... I walk enough around here the last thing I feel like doing is walk more, but I do love taking the dirt bike for a rip and there's lots of good scenery to be had.
I think I'd really enjoy Utah, except for the mormons, every person from there I've seen or interacted with seemed really chill and easy to talk to (Look up Fab Rats or Matt's offroad recovery on Youtube, both great channels)
I had work that sent me all around the US, I think I've at least set foot in close to half the states, If I had a day off and there was something to see I'd go for a drive... saw a few of California's big parks, drove through Death valley with no AC in July (118F), went up Pikes peak when I was in Colorado

This is an hour away from my place on the bike
20200726_181826.jpg
20200726_182135.jpg

Up at about 9300 ft here
20161002_132525sm.jpg

Looking down on that little lake (It's #$%#ng cold!!!)
20161002_145326sm.jpg

I've climbed a lot of mountains in my life... I walk enough around here the last thing I feel like doing is walk more, but I do love taking the dirt bike for a rip and there's lots of good scenery to be had.
I think I'd really enjoy Utah, except for the mormons, every person from there I've seen or interacted with seemed really chill and easy to talk to (Look up Fab Rats or Matt's offroad recovery on Youtube, both great channels)
I had work that sent me all around the US, I think I've at least set foot in close to half the states, If I had a day off and there was something to see I'd go for a drive... saw a few of California's big parks, drove through Death valley with no AC in July (118F), went up Pikes peak when I was in Colorado

View attachment 8955
View attachment 8956

Up at about 9300 ft here
View attachment 8957

View attachment 8958
Is that private land or public?

Planning a trip now for next summer out to that area and just west of there for a couple of weeks. Been beating on the wife for years to move out that way so going to take her out and show it to her first hand. Some pretty, pretty country out there and the weather is fantastic!

What the heck you been beating your wife for years?! 😆🤡 No wonder she isn't moving with you. BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! JUST PLAYING!!

View attachment 8955
View attachment 8956

Up at about 9300 ft here
View attachment 8957

View attachment 8958

Oh my goodness!! My luck I'd be ripping it up on a dirt bike right of the side a big cliff!! 🤣🤦🏽‍♀️

Glad you enjoyed it. Go again, if it brings you joy. I doubt this ever changes, but I have never really been on vacation. Never went too far, that wasn't work related.

Why haven't you ever gone on one single vacation? Don't want to, don't have time, to much work, waiting to retire, not interest, or other?! Oh I know your on house arrest they don't let you leave the county. Just playing.

What the heck you been beating your wife for years?! 😆🤡 No wonder she isn't moving with you. BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!! JUST PLAYING!!

Oh my goodness!! My luck I'd be ripping it up on a dirt bike right of the side a big cliff!! 🤣🤦🏽‍♀️

Why haven't you ever gone on one single vacation? Don't want to, don't have time, to much work, waiting to retire, not interest, or other?! Oh I know your on house arrest they don't let you leave the county. Just playing.
Several reasons:
1. Homebody
2. Hate to ask someone to farm set
3. Too cheap. Money for nothing.

Several reasons:
1. Homebody

I agree with 1 and 2. 3. Vacation can be anything you want it to be. If you want to spend tons of money flying, at a fancy resorts, on this and that sure you can. If your like most people don't want to spend alot of money and still would like a vacation there are many options you could do. Mainly gas, hotel, food, and whatever you want to see or do for entertainment. We have taking many vacations have no problem packing our own food. Paid for gas and sleep in the car (before children) hotels really aren't that expensive. Just to have a short break away from home I believe most will say is refreshing. Doesn't have to be long could just be a short few days.

Is that private land or public?
If it is a mountain in the western USA it is public. People didn't homestead on mountains. Just the county I live in there is over one million acres of public land.
Percent of states which are federal land
Utah 64.9%
Idaho 61.6%
Oregon 52.9%
Wyoming 48.1%
California 45.8%
Arizona 38.6%
New Mexico 34.7%
Montana 29%
Washington 28.5%
I forgot Colorado. This is the reason for the so called sage brush rebellion.
The eastern states are all in single digits. Several are less than one percent. Texas is 1.8%.

Several reasons:
1. Homebody
That resembles me. Been over 10 years since we did any real trips. Traveled a few times for work and would rather be home. Hate to ask anyone to check on animals.

That resembles me. Been over 10 years since we did any real trips. Traveled a few times for work and would rather be home. Hate to ask anyone to check on animals.
I've got a friend that stalls a horse for free for a guy. The deal is when my buddy goes to a rodeo, the other guy sees to things at the barn. That arrangement would'nt be too bad.

I agree with 1 and 2. 3. Vacation can be anything you want it to be. If you want to spend tons of money flying, at a fancy resorts, on this and that sure you can. If your like most people don't want to spend alot of money and still would like a vacation there are many options you could do. Mainly gas, hotel, food, and whatever you want to see or do for entertainment. We have taking many vacations have no problem packing our own food. Paid for gas and sleep in the car (before children) hotels really aren't that expensive. Just to have a short break away from home I believe most will say is refreshing. Doesn't have to be long could just be a short few days.
I should have mentioned one more thing. My family competes in rodeo. The expense of that will eat ya alive. We don't eat out or travel. Haven't eaten out in many years. I came up with the no vacation and no eat out to save money.

The last real vacation wife and I took was in 2016.
I think it was 5 days that we spent down in and around Corpus Christi. It wasn't terribly expensive but it was restful. The only beach time we spent was the evening we went horseback riding. One of the best 5 days I ever spent anywhere. I needed it badly too.

I think it was 5 days that we spent down in and around Corpus Christi. It wasn't terribly expensive but it was restful. The only beach time we spent was the evening we went horseback riding. One of the best 5 days I ever spent anywhere. I needed it badly too.

I've never been to Corpus Christi. Planned on going a few times than hurricanes and big storms changed that.
Sounds like yall need another vacation. :)

I should have mentioned one more thing. My family competes in rodeo. The expense of that will eat ya alive. We don't eat out or travel. Haven't eaten out in many years. I came up with the no vacation and no eat out to save money.

Where do ya'll rodeo at? Do you rodeo or have kids that do?

I also like to spend time at the coast, and agree it can be very restful. With me it's mostly been at Port O'Connor and Port Mansfield.

Latest posts