What CED for Heifer use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunter

Reaction score
How low would you go on the CED number when using a certain Angus bull on heifers?

Breed Average is 6 and a heifer certainly should be able to handle an average ce bull of the same breed.
Well grown heifers 4...But I usually end up going with a 9+ to be on the safe side.

Bull sale I went to last weekend classified guaranteed "heifer" bulls as having a CED of +8 or higher and BW of 1.6 or lower. I have no knowledge on the subject myself, just passing along the information.

Have them pelvic measured. If you already have the bull, cull the ones that don't make the cut. If you're buying a bull (or AI), make sure his calving ease will accommodate your heifers. Last bull we bought was +12 CED.

The guidelines for the bred heifer sales in this area, require a bull with a CED no less than 7. I personally like to have a little higher CED for a heifer bull. Last year my bulls, and the AI bulls ranged from 11-16. I have however used bulls with 7-8 for heifers with no problems.

Thank you for the responses. I will be using a CED +9 but also thinking about AI as well.

chicken farmer":1kw72kmw said:
I would look at the accuracy. A bull with +8 CED and .90 accuracy would be a safer bet than +10 CED and a .3 accuracy. JMHO
+++1
Looking through old sire directories you can find plenty of young sires promoted as heifer bulls with low accuracy 10+
but when they reached .70 acc they were more like +6

Son of Butch":1gw5c64u said:
chicken farmer":1gw5c64u said:
I would look at the accuracy. A bull with +8 CED and .90 accuracy would be a safer bet than +10 CED and a .3 accuracy. JMHO
+++1
Looking through old sire directories you can find plenty of young sires promoted as heifer bulls with low accuracy 10+
but when they reached .70 acc they were more like +6

Yep- I would go with an old bull with a lot of use and high accuracy on the EPD's... As an example of how EPD's can change with use I still remember when the bull Younkin Tribute 1722 #11794651 first hit the bull catalogs- the bull pimps promoted him as low birthweight and suitable for heifers... I almost bought one of his sons to use on heifers, but luckily didn't...
After a couple of years with trainwrecks on heifers that was changed.. Now today his CED is -20 and BW EPD is +4.2 with 95% accuracy on both..
Good bull with some good maternal breeding- but just not a heifer bull...

For a young bull, could one look at the pedigree and get an idea of what the CED could be close to?

Hunter":19uttl2w said:
For a young bull, could one look at the pedigree and get an idea of what the CED could be close to?

Yes, when I am looking to buy a young bull, I pick them with a calving ease CED, and go by the pedigree on both sides as well.

Latest posts