What cuts do you prefer when processing your beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am sending one to be processed this weekend. I am just curious about what cuts everyone prefers when having one processed. For instance, my processor normally cuts 3/4" steaks. I prefer to have mine cut no less than 1 1/4". I also normally have one round cubed and my hamburger I want in 1 1/2 lb packs rather than the standard 1 lb.

I get my sirloins 3/4" and for the ribeyes/t-bones I go with 1 1/8". I also like to get several roasts, and all the seven steaks for cooking down in a gravy.

My wife and I have compromised on 1" for steak. I would prefer a little thicker.
I ask for stew meat, brisket, chuck steak, the better roasts, 2 lb burger. I don't very often get t-bone because I seldom take anything young enough. No tongue, bones or guts.

All boneless steaks for convenience and freezer space - cut at 1-1/4". Get flatirons, Denver and bavette steaks cut. High grade the best roasts and grind the rest. We use a lot of ground beef. Half the time they mess up the flatirons and cut blade steaks. I cut the gristle strand out and fry them in an iron skillet to medium rare. Still good.

Organ meat is kept for when we run out of dog food. They get a meatcicle instead.

we get sirloin, rib eye, new york strip in 1" thick cuts. T bone has the tenderloin side cut out at 1.5" cuts. round steak is 1/2 " and tenderized but only a few packs for steak and eggs. roast are 3 lbs and only the best 15 based on butchers discretion. hamburger is 2 lb packages. no tongue, liver, or heart in hamburger.

It depends on the animal, or what we need at the time. Sometimes all ground beef, sometimes cuts. When we get steaks and roasts, we sometimes get a variety of steaks, but often we just get filets, an assortment of roasts and the rest ground beef.
We get 1" steaks, 2lbs or so roasts, 1lb packages of ground beef, usually there's a little more than 1lb in the packages.
We get the liver,
When we went to an Amish processor, we got a lot more variety cuts, round steaks, stew meat, ox tail, liver, tongue, they suggested 3 lb roasts but those were pretty big for our pans.

Get flatirons, Half the time they mess up the flatirons and cut blade steaks. I cut the gristle strand out and fry them in an iron skillet to medium rare. Still good.
YES!!! Flat iron and top blade are the same thing except the way they cut them..kinda filet the top blade end to end, and remove the connective tissue which really gives you 2 flatirons.

In many stores, they will advertise top blade steaks and a few days later, have a sale on flatirons as they take the unsold blade steaks and cut them into flatirons.
But, you have to watch 'em..
I had to correct a young butcher's assistant in a Brookshire Brothers store one time, when he cut two blade steaks for me into flatirons but he laid them down, cut from the top to make 4 long narrow 'flatirons".
He sliced 'em like A when he was supposed to slice them like B, cutting first, just above the line of connective tissue, then another slice on the bottom section just below the connective tissue and throwing the silverskin looking stuff away.
flatiron.jpg

just last week I had a good one.

Last edited:
We like Tri-tip roasts.
Last time I had some of the burger put into patties. We didn't care for the patties.
They were pretty condensed and didn't fry up well.

A 3lb chuck would be pretty hefty but used to be normal. The chuck roasts (boneless) I've seen in stores lately have been getting smaller and I'm pretty sure it isn't from smaller animals. They're doing lots of trimming/slicing and dicing nowadays.

All steaks 3/4" except fillet mignons 1 1/2" = (6-8 oz) roasts 2.5 lbs hamburger 1 lb packages +85% lean, they actually average a shade more at 1.1 lbs. A couple packages of soup bones with a little meat left on the bones. Occasionally stew meat/stir fry, but often cut it myself from a round steak.

Have never understood why some prefer 2 lb packages of hamburger, if you want 2 lbs just thaw 2 packs instead of one.
I prefer 3/4" steaks, faster and easier to cook them properly and you can always have a 2nd steak if you want. Plus you get 25% more steaks vs 1" so if you have company usually enough for everyone.

Last edited:
Everything in a steak that is possible - sirloin, t-bone, rib, chuck, round - all grilling steaks - all 1" thick except Chuck & round - 3/4". I like to have cube steaks, kabobs, and London Broil. I don't like to have any roasts because we get roasts out of our deer.
London B is a great company meal. I fix a mixture of ketchup, mustard and worchestershire sauce and rub it on for marinate - I spike/pound it in. Grill rare with sauce on it. We slice it at an angle super thin.
Kabobs are great on a stick with sweet peppers - grilled.
We like to grill!!!

Everything in a steak that is possible - sirloin, t-bone, rib, chuck, round - all grilling steaks - all 1" thick except Chuck & round - 3/4". I like to have cube steaks, kabobs, and London Broil. I don't like to have any roasts because we get roasts out of our deer.
London B is a great company meal. I fix a mixture of ketchup, mustard and worchestershire sauce and rub it on for marinate - I spike/pound it in. Grill rare with sauce on it. We slice it at an angle super thin.
Kabobs are great on a stick with sweet peppers - grilled.
We like to grill!!!
I" for London Broil? I like your idea of ketchup, mustard and Worchestershire sauce and rubbed on then grilled. Do you have a specific ratio?

We got our last beef from Iowa. I asked the processing plant for cube steaks. I got canning meat. They didn't know what cube steak was. They call it minute steak. So I have to pound these small canning meat pieces myself to have cube steaks.

I" for London Broil? I like your idea of ketchup, mustard and Worchestershire sauce and rubbed on then grilled. Do you have a specific ratio?

We got our last beef from Iowa. I asked the processing plant for cube steaks. I got canning meat. They didn't know what cube steak was. They call it minute steak. So I have to pound these small canning meat pieces myself to have cube steaks.
I don't measure - about 3 to 1 - ketchup to yellow mustard, and enough W sauce to make it have a browner look. Real dolly domestic - I am!!! I got a really neat meat piercer from Walmart. (I used to use a dinner fork) It has all these "nails" at the end of a pounder, The nails slide through a plastic plate piercing the meat. So, it tenderizes and implants the sauce into the meat. I try to marinade it for at least an hour. Whenever we have a get together, everyone anticipates my London Broil. They range from maybe 1 - 1.5 inches? I think it depends more on the animal. I don't specify the thickness.

I got a really neat meat piercer from Walmart. (I used to use a dinner fork) It has all these "nails" at the end of a pounder, The nails slide through a plastic plate piercing the meat. So, it tenderizes and implants the sauce into the meat.
A Jaccard. I have had 2 different ones over the years. I like the one on the left best as it's smaller, palm size. . Each is about $21 nowadays. You're right..it pushes the seasonings down into the meat as it tenderizes, or as my brother described it..pre-chews it. I can't remember if it was Dun or Jogeephus that first introduced them here at CT years ago.
JACCARD.jpg

I don't measure - about 3 to 1 - ketchup to yellow mustard, and enough W sauce to make it have a browner look. Real dolly domestic - I am!!! I got a really neat meat piercer from Walmart. (I used to use a dinner fork) It has all these "nails" at the end of a pounder, The nails slide through a plastic plate piercing the meat. So, it tenderizes and implants the sauce into the meat. I try to marinade it for at least an hour. Whenever we have a get together, everyone anticipates my London Broil. They range from maybe 1 - 1.5 inches? I think it depends more on the animal. I don't specify the thickness.
Thanks. I have that same meat tenderizer with the nails/knives. I'm going to try what you do, it sounds like something we would like.

Latest posts