What do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Picture_111.jpg

Picture_106.jpg

Picture_105.jpg

what do you think she will place in a county show with only 5 hefiers. We just got her halter broke so she is a little rough the show is in july. she might be kept as a cow depending on her placing. she does have a little ringworm. She is an angus

the pictures are from slightly akward angles if you could tie her or have a firend take pictures while you are holding her or back up a bit for a full body shot including her head you may get better pictures of her hopefully these do not do her justice

looks a little rough, but with time and feed and get her clipped up nice i think she could do okay. Just depends on the quality of the competition really and what the judge happens to be thinking that day.

The heifer is not a show animal. If you want to do better than last I'd try to find something else. She has a lot of problems: no bone, too thin, and no top. Show cattle need those components.

Iowa if you really evalute the calf she has a stong loin and is deep and correct, the fact she is so green means she could really pack it on with compensatory gain. It depends what the owner wants to do with all that hair,any one that is good with a set of shears could make quite the pretty silk purse out of her. As far as the lack of bone not all people want bowling ball joints on cattle , remember she is angus they are not supposed to look like maines.

skcatlman":b7bam5rw said:
Iowa if you really evalute the calf she has a stong loin and is deep and correct, the fact she is so green means she could really pack it on with compensatory gain. It depends what the owner wants to do with all that hair,any one that is good with a set of shears could make quite the pretty silk purse out of her. As far as the lack of bone not all people want bowling ball joints on cattle , remember she is angus they are not supposed to look like maines.

I humbly disagree. I don't think she is deep or correct. At least you admit she is green.
As far as bone is concerned, I don't want "bowling ball joints", but I don't want pencil legs either. That is one of my problems with many Angus ( of which we raised for many years) I personally don't care for PB maines either.

The pictures really do make it hard to evalute her. She is awfully fine boned, and appears to drop considerably from her Hooks to Pins. She is deep, and has lots of hair. She might be OK if fed and fit right, but still needs a little more bone, and most likely some butt as well.

Put that thing in the feedlot along with that steer you had some weeks back. Find a PB breeder and go from there.

I would agree she is fine but that is what calving ease cattle are supposed to be, she has the length of spine and look at the last pic she does appear to have the depth in the fore rib and as far as guts that will come with a big load of feed. As far as muscling she is a heifer. I have no doubts that she could be competative. I think if you really wanted to go for the win you could really hog this hfr , she will fill in the hinds if you really fatten her or give alot of exercise. If you get the right fitter and judge on her she would be a hard hfr to dismiss. She seems really complete a functional female. Yes she has her flaws but those pretty hfers that look like hfrs are hard to dump. I know from experience she has a ton of potential. As far as the bone i do not know the rules of the show she is going to. But i have built bone on legs like that and have had the comment too much bone. I like the challenge. As far as purebreds i run them and have taken % hfers out that whip butt. Being PB doesn't guarentee quality. I have judged alot of shows and there are alot of bad pb ones out there too. I have bought alot of green cattle for 4-H kids, the majority have panned out. I have seen alot of high dollar cattle not pan out they are 12 o'clock when bought. If you don't have a big check book this kind of hfer will do just fine.

*Cowgirl*":2smqaz27 said:
She won't show at all if you don't get rid of that ringworm.

The pictures stink. I decline to comment
the show is all the way in july . And there are Usalluy only about 3-5 Hefiers at the show it is just county. She was only $1.12 a pound i am just doing her for the fun of it then i am going to keep her as a commercial cow. And the past snow storms have took any were from 50-100lbs off of all the cattle around the county

Having fun with cattle is to be commended, feed her a bit and align her square to the camera, drop down to the level of her point of shoulder and take photos again. Do the same from behind and very few people will even recognise your heifer.

Does she have potential...can't honestly tell with the photos you've posted, but she definately isn't structurally flawless.

If you really want my opinion take a few photos from the angles mentioned and feel free to pm me if you like.

Latest posts