What would you do ?

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Wednesday favorite heifer had nice bull calf next to pond . Thursday found calf floating in pond .
Real heart breaker. :( Wife wants to give her another chance . I have mixed feeling about keeping her. How will this affect her udder ? Can she be checked after she dries up for udder problems ?

Wouldn't affect me one bit. It won't be the last time. Now if she had dropped the calf IN the pond or a creek that is a different story. I would keep her and forget about it. Sorry about losing your favorite calf, it sucks, I had the same thing happen to me this year.

rjbovine":gq5f5xsb said:
Not sure how it happened . It sucks for sure .
If they are born by a pond I always move them further away. At birth they are a bit wobbly on their feet and tend to stumble down the pond bank and into the water.

rjbovine":1qmybtul said:
Wednesday favorite heifer had nice bull calf next to pond . Thursday found calf floating in pond .
Real heart breaker. :( Wife wants to give her another chance . I have mixed feeling about keeping her. How will this affect her udder ? Can she be checked after she dries up for udder problems ?

I would absolutely keep her. No offense, but you are the one who gave her access to the pond - not her fault. Unless she was already predisposed to udder problems it won't affect her udder in the least, she will dry up and life goes on.

msscamp":vhw5ljoc said:
I would absolutely keep her. No offense, but you are the one who gave her access to the pond - not her fault. Unless she was already predisposed to udder problems it won't affect her udder in the least, she will dry up and life goes on.

Now that is a good answer!

cypressfarms":iccjk49b said:
msscamp":iccjk49b said:

Now that is a good answer!

Yep and you are going to loose calf's and cows in this business, if you aint got them you can't loose them.
Shyt happens.

If you decide to put a calf on her don't buy it at the sale barn you are asking for more problems than you need .You can bring home all kind of bugs that can make your entire calf crop sick. Cheaper to keep her without a calf than expose your herd to some one else's problems. If you have a set of twins soon you can give her one of those.

I agree 'stuff' happens, but I would ship her now.

I agree with Tom Lasater that said every cow should have a calf in the weaning pen, no matter what.

All comes down to grass and hay...
Do you have plenty? If you do and think she could be a good one, a year aint gonna hurt you.

If you overstocked a bit, or feed hay for 6 months a year....
She needs to be gone.

Add up the money and see which makes dollars, they aint pets.

I would have had a holstein bull calf on her the next day. But I have a big dairy next door so I have lots of calves available. What I do is if they loose one that is their fault they are gone. If they loose one that is not their fault they get to stay as long as they accept a new calf. If they fight me or the new calf too hard, they are gone. That holstein calf wont be worth what a beef calf is worth come fall but it will pay her keep for the year.

Latest posts