Where do you buy corner post

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
You guys in TN And Al where do you get your corner post. I have some 5 inch but need larger for corners.

the diameter aint as important as the bracing,,, i use 5-6's... and 3-4s to make a ""H""" brace ..with brace wire. pulling it to the corner... if its a long fence id add a extra brace

Look for some where that sells used telephone poles. Sometimes they will cut to length other times just carry a chainsaw with you when you go to pick them up.

I use rr crossties, with a 4-5" brace (H) between and 1/4 cable and clamps to hold it all back to the corner itself.
When they dismantled Astroworld, I ended up with all the ties that made the RR track that encircled the park.
I have some that are old utility poles, but I try to save complete poles for building structures.

I also use telephone poles cut to length. I use the butt ends to hang the gates from. I still brace them with an H configuration. They don't move. I had an s-10 pickup slam head-on into my gate post by the road. Totaled the truck........chipped some wood off the post is all the damage it done. Cut them 9 feet long and put 4' in the ground with concrete. It will be there long after I am gone.

I used to have access to all the light poles, and telephone poles I wanted. Come to find out, not all are created equal. Many of the ones I was getting would only be treated on the butt end or something. I'm a fan now of a pressure treated post set 4' deep in concrete with an H brace. I've got some cedar line post on my place, that my grandfather swore to me we're set in 1907.

Bigfoot":1phs8ntr said:
I used to have access to all the light poles, and telephone poles I wanted. Come to find out, not all are created equal. Many of the ones I was getting would only be treated on the butt end or something. I'm a fan now of a pressure treated post set 4' deep in concrete with an H brace. I've got some cedar line post on my place, that my grandfather swore to me we're set in 1907.
most of that is where the creosote slowly seeps down to the base over the years..

Bigfoot":102kiksg said:
I just started concreting the corners in 2006. Will I be sorry.
ive got some that have been concreted in the ground 20 years, and still holding.. i dont mix the crete.. i pour in dry and tamp, and add water if the ground is dry.. if wet, i don't even add water ..

midtncattle":3rzfcdg5 said:
I have heard that concrete is bad for treated post. Is this correct?
It probably is. I concreted some cut phone poles in on this property when I was about 16 and all they've lasted is 46 years. I was expecting at least 47 years.
Now having said that--they don't treat poles with creosote anymore, they use something more environmentally whacko friendly--so your results may vary.

In our area before the 60's and before the steel post was invented, all post used for corners and line post were mesquite , cut by hand with ax , holes were dug by hand diggers and crow bars, boundry fence and road fences were all 3 strands of barb wire, the wire was stretched with a rope block and tackle. H- braces were not used, one large mesquite corner post was set with a mesquite down brace , Sure didn't make a pretty straight fence, but it was cheap, the only cost was the 3 wires at $6.00 a roll. Only tools needed, ax, file, hammer, block-tackle,hand digger ,crow bar. shovel, old tractor or mule, single axel trailer, Now list all the equipment it takes to build a fence,