Which one would you feed, liquid feed or protein tubs for bulls on pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Which one do you recommend for bulls, liquid feed or protein tubs.
Do you mind putting your general location on your profile? You just got advice from STX through the Dakatos and on to Oregon 😄 and as you can tell, is varies significantly by area.

We have bulls separated off from cows now. Liquid feed and tubs are a good tool in this area because our grass can burn up and be low nutrition this time of year, especially in this drought. So yes, we have tubs/ liquid feed out for pretty much every thing. If it was pretty and green, they would not be necessary.

If you don't have plenty of grass for them then they need hay or some other type of all incompassing feed.

A loafing bull shouldn't need any supplemental feed if he has decent forage.

Which one do you recommend for bulls, liquid feed or protein tubs.
Be a lot easier to answer your questions more accurately, if you would go back and put your location ion your profile. @Marie , can you not make that a mandatory field on the sign up page? Make it to where you can't proceed til you fill in that field?

We use a liquid energy feed for the freshly weaned calves. Bulls get grass and hay in the dead of winter.
Do you use something similar to mix 30? It is 16% protein and 10% fat. What else do they get, just hay/grass?

East Texas, they a plenty hay and grass. One bull was a little young when I put him out and he went down a little. I want to put weight back on him.

Do you use something similar to mix 30? It is 16% protein and 10% fat. What else do they get, just hay/grass?
I don't know what the mix is. B gets it. It comes out of Caldwell ID. I don't remember the company or the man's name. The side of the truck says XYZ Energy feed. The calves haven't been fighting over it that is for sure. Other than that they have green irrigated hay field regrowth which is about 12-15 inches tall and a bale of grass hay in the corral which some of them nibble on. Salt and loose minerals. They are in about a big 10 acre field. 106 of them have been out there for 11 days. They just about have that one grazed off. In a day or 2 they will move to a 17 acre field with more grass.

I only use a protein supplement in drought or severe winter conditions when I have dry low quality feed in the paddocks and by providing a protein supplement a couple of times a week has them chasing the dry feed. By providing it twice a week apparently works as well as daily supplementation and has them grazing in between times and not hanging around waiting for the next feed.

Ken

Be a lot easier to answer your questions more accurately, if you would go back and put your location ion your profile. @Marie , can you not make that a mandatory field on the sign up page? Make it to where you can't proceed til you fill in that field?
@Warren Allison has a point. 95% of the questions/statements posted have a location dependent answer. This one for instance, if you live east of the Mississippi River, you don't need supplemental protein in any form even when being fed medicore hay. West of the Mississippi, supplement needs are dependent upon hay analysis, and probably needed.

Latest posts