Wire Gate Fence Latches

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefeater

Reaction score
I've got several poor mans' gates with no intentions of upgrading anytime soon. Always had brace wire loops to hold in place, but they never seem to hold quite as tight as I would prefer after awhile. Adding another twist or two makes it nearly impossible to close. Show me some homemade cheap closing mechanisms! Saw a drilled and bent sucker rod once that looked pretty slick, wish I had a picture of it.

I don't have any more left that I actually open. We call them a gap gate here.
This looks interesting, but judging from the condition of the loose wire, it doesn't look like it is adjusted right or they made the wires too long.

A stick attached to a piece of wire attached to the post. Use it as a lever to pull the top of the gap over to drop your loop on.

A picture would make this easy....
Something like this

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS817US817&q=barbed+wire+gate+latch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz5oWy-tDgAhVMDq0KHR1NDuI4ChDVAigAegQIDBAB&biw=1024&bih=728#imgrc=RRIAnLQPHJnsGM:

1982vett said:
A stick attached to a piece of wire attached to the post. Use it as a lever to pull the top of the gap over to drop your loop on.

A picture would make this easy....
Something like this

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS817US817&q=barbed+wire+gate+latch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz5oWy-tDgAhVMDq0KHR1NDuI4ChDVAigAegQIDBAB&biw=1024&bih=728#imgrc=RRIAnLQPHJnsGM:
That is the traditional way and I've done it but......
The sticks rot or break or get eat up by woodpeckers. Use a piece of pipe for the lever

Really simple one is a piece of small chain nailed to the brace and a nail with no head nailed on the opposite side. Wrap the chain around the gate post to pull tight and hook the chain on the nail without a head.

A hame works great for a lever attached to chain or wire rather than a stick or piece of sucker rod. But I really like the over center types that are easily made or bought at the supply stores.
Most of our gates we use a rope. That way it's always tight without adjusting the gate wires.

d3qjkcS.jpg

I knew a guy who went to every farm sale in the country. He always bought any fence stretchers. He had a fence stretcher hanging at every gate.

Silver said:
A hame works great for a lever attached to chain or wire rather than a stick or piece of sucker rod. But I really like the over center types that are easily made or bought at the supply stores.
Most of our gates we use a rope. That way it's always tight without adjusting the gate wires.

d3qjkcS.jpg

I had some utilities ran across my place last year (not my choice). Evey fence they crossed they cut the fence and put a temporary 100' wire gap in. They tied them with ropes like this and I thought it wouldn't work. Boy was I wrong. Tie the rope to the solid post, wrap around the gap post then back around the solid post and give a pull. I think you can get the gap as tight as you want with ease. I never did master the fancy knot they tied though.

If you use rope keep some extra in your truck. I have lot's that I use rope on and after a couple years it can rot depending on the rope. If you don't have some extra you might have to get creative.... I will vouch for it working good though.

Latest posts