working sequence

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred

Reaction score
I'm working cows and calves this Sat. morn. Vaccine and a little fly pour-on. I also want to preg check about 5 hd....I've never palpated a cow before, but have been around it and read about it and recieved instructions.. My question is this: Wouldn't it make sense to preg the five, and then run them thru again with the others for shots? seems like they would be easier to fool with before shots than after..

xbred":oizjqd7j said:
I'm working cows and calves this Sat. morn. Vaccine and a little fly pour-on. I also want to preg check about 5 hd....I've never palpated a cow before, but have been around it and read about it and recieved instructions.. My question is this: Wouldn't it make sense to preg the five, and then run them thru again with the others for shots? seems like they would be easier to fool with before shots than after..
heres what id do for what its worth.id palpate pour on give shots an turn them out as they go through the chute then your done with them.do everything at once an it doesnt stress the cows to bad.your wanting to creat more work for yourself running those 5 through twice.

I'd do as bigbull said. My first thoughts when I read the initial post.

I'd do everything at one time, run them through one time. I had 3 that needed tags replaced, but instead of running them through on one day then run them through for spring work-ups I waited for work-up day, do it all at one time. Easier on you and on the cows.

Just my 2 cents.

Katherine

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference which ever way you do it, personally I'd palpate first and the give the shots all at the same time, more so when there is a cold chain you need to uphold.

The way we do it is one pass through the chute, weigh, palp, shots then pour on. We hold the calves till after the cows have been worked. If something more extensive needs to be done, i.e. dehorning or such we hold that cow till last before the calves

The only thing I do different than Dun, I work the calves first. With the calves on the outside of the chute, the cows can't wait to line up and run thru the alleyway to the chute. gs

i guess it does not matter, but i'm by myself and i just figured i would do the dirty work first and then clean-up. and then get my cooler with vaccines and shots...

xbred":2orstojq said:
i guess it does not matter, but i'm by myself and i just figured i would do the dirty work first and then clean-up. and then get my cooler with vaccines and shots...
Just walking behind them to move them is just as dirty as running your hand up their butt unless the gloves leak.

xbred":5f2sz05f said:
dun, I've always respected your opinions, so i'm passing them thru once.... thanks...
Remember what opinions are like!

I work my cows one time through . Do everything to them I need to . Then the calves only difference is I leave the calves penned until the next morning . For 2 reasons I can let them out one at a time and write down who the momma is and it also seems to make the cows bull .

TennesseeTuxedo":2x41eufa said:
You have not already tagged them by that age JS?
I tag 2 times a year when I work in the spring about the first of march when the calves are about 2 months old and the summer calves about sept when I work the cows . I'm not brave enough to get between one of my brangus cows and her calf . It would take a horse and 4 dogs to keep one of them off of you . Any other time I can pet the cows .

tried my hand at rectal palpation for the first time last saturday... Found calves both small and large (2 breeding seasons) some as early as 3 months.. the process wasn't as dirty as i thought it might be... everything went well. however, i did not feel things i thought i would.. i never felt the cervix,,, which i thought would be easy to find.. i'll practice more.. i am sure not ready for AI which is what i would eventually like to do... these are big cows and i have a short arm... we'll see, or rather, we'll feel...

xbred":xfuqej70 said:
tried my hand at rectal palpation for the first time last saturday... Found calves both small and large (2 breeding seasons) some as early as 3 months.. the process wasn't as dirty as i thought it might be... everything went well. however, i did not feel things i thought i would.. i never felt the cervix,,, which i thought would be easy to find.. i'll practice more.. i am sure not ready for AI which is what i would eventually like to do... these are big cows and i have a short arm... we'll see, or rather, we'll feel...
Hope you had someone skilled in palpation to confirm your findings. First few times I tried it all I found was shyt. ;-)

JSCATTLE":1h659zxi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1h659zxi said:
You have not already tagged them by that age JS?
I tag 2 times a year when I work in the spring about the first of march when the calves are about 2 months old and the summer calves about sept when I work the cows . I'm not brave enough to get between one of my brangus cows and her calf . It would take a horse and 4 dogs to keep one of them off of you . Any other time I can pet the cows .

I've read Brangus can be a little touchy about their calves.

Latest posts