• Grasshopper

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Ex mark

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not that fond of EFI on small engines... not enough benefit to offset the cost of the problems.. Yeah, it's nice to not have a choke lever and it runs good cold, but the cost and frequency of the EFI failing is significant.. I know many smaller EFI engines that have had failures... A carb you can at least clean it out and get back to work with at most a $20 gasket kit.... $20 doesn't even buy you a scan of the brain box to tell you what's wrong.

Nesikep":3jg77i0g said:
I'm not that fond of EFI on small engines... not enough benefit to offset the cost of the problems.. Yeah, it's nice to not have a choke lever and it runs good cold, but the cost and frequency of the EFI failing is significant.. I know many smaller EFI engines that have had failures... A carb you can at least clean it out and get back to work with at most a $20 gasket kit.... $20 doesn't even buy you a scan of the brain box to tell you what's wrong.

Both my Kohler and Kawasaki engines have carbs. So far, no issues with either.

The choke on the Kohler is on the throttle like a push lawn mower.

The choke on the Kawasaki is a seperate push/pull control independent of the throttle. I like that setup better :idea:

My Honda 420 Rancher is EFI. It doesn't start as well in the cold as an old carbed 2-stroke Polaris :eek:

On a ZT mower the biggest complaint about a diesel engine is the vibration.

We've have Grasshoppers, and had no trouble with them. They are mowing machines!! But like everything, everyone has an opinion, and their opinion is to defend their buying decision.

Often times machines are popular based on where the machine in manufactured. Grasshopper, made in Kansas, probably isn't very well known in other regions. Same with others. Buy a name brand with local service and you'll be fine.

My advise would be to not buy the homeowner's model. Spend more and get something you can't wear out at home.

D2Cat":asoi1p1z said:
On a ZT mower the biggest complaint about a diesel engine is the vibration.

We've have Grasshoppers, and had no trouble with them. They are mowing machines!! But like everything, everyone has an opinion, and their opinion is to defend their buying decision.

Often times machines are popular based on where the machine in manufactured. Grasshopper, made in Kansas, probably isn't very well known in other regions. Same with others. Buy a name brand with local service and you'll be fine.

My advise would be to not buy the homeowner's model. Spend more and get something you can't wear out at home.

I agree. If you are doing any amount of mowing and can make it work... get the commercial models. They are twice the machine.

Although I have an ExMark, I think that the Scag is probably one of the best if not the best on the market. Very, very well built mower in my opinion. I bought my mower at the end of the season (September) and the dealer marked over $1K off the price. I do recommend as above to go with a commercial mower on any brand. All from what I have seen have a regular consumer mower as well as a commercial mower. Several thousand difference in price but the commercial mower is made out of a heavier gauge metal which means a lot and a lot beefier. Also, I recommend the Kohler brand engine. It'll last for the long haul.

JMJ Farms":321tc4ec said:
I guess they're numerous brands I'm not very familiar with. I thought I picked the most popular. Shows how much I know doesn't it.

I have had very very good results with Kawasaki engines. That's probably the biggest option I want. And I want a good deck. That's why my "preliminary" choice was the Dixie Chopper. But I see that's not the common consensus. I'm definitely gonna check out a kubota. It will probably come down to which brand offers the closest/best dealer support. Thanks for all the replies and any more are welcomed.

IMHO Dixie has fallen behind the times, all of the top companies have good decks now.

And if you're worried at all about customer service from a manufacturer when you do need a part or have a problem, I've heard that BadBoy will make your life hell, even though they seem to have brought a tough, well made, and cost friendly, machine to the market.

I have had a 48 in Ferris with a 21 hp Kawasaki for 3 seasons. I fought this and the iphones for years. now I realize I should have bought the first of each. I cut about 10 acres at least every two weeks during grass cutting season. In south La we have some years that we cut a little grass 12 mos out of the year. My neighbor has the exmark and a friend has the badboy. After a couple of seasons the badboy hydraulic controls seemed to be getting sloppy and the mower is much slower than my ferris. The only difference in the ferris and the exmark is the suspension. the Ferris has a spring suspension ride that is adjustable. Personally, I believe it makes a difference, especially since being on a farm a lot of my terrain is rough. The dealer told me the only Kawasaki he had ever seen trouble with was burned up thru misuse. The manufacturer wanted the motor back to disassemble and after questioning the operator, they determined he had idled the motor when he wanted to go slow. I wish now I had gotten a wider deck, (mainly to reach under fences) but I got a good deal on this mower used with low hours. So, for me, definitely Kawasaki engine and I will go with another ferris.

I like Scag and have had 2. One in a business, the 2nd one I scored an excellent deal, now use it at ranch. My personal thoughts would be to stay away from box store models and go to a distributor with onsite repair and parts warehouse. Need someone to take care of any warranty issues. Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Scag, Kubota seem to be most popular in my area.
Good luck on your purchase

Summer before last, I looked at several. Settled on commercial Husqvarna, with a 23 1/2 hp Kawasaki engine. I am very satisfied so far.

Scag, Gravely, or Exmark. Most of what you listed are quality machines. It really comes down to what you are most comfortable on. A dealer should allow you to demo whatever you are interested in buying. If not, go to a different dealer.

Also, get a mower you can have serviced in your area and won't have to wait around on parts. No dealer in the area, I would not consider it.

I have had nothing but Kawasaki engines, and have never had a problem. My oldest Scag Walk Behind has 5800 hours on it. Runs strong. Short of a gasket or two, its doing fine. Have had a hydro pump leaking for three years. I add fluid twice a season and its fine. A rebuild of the pump would solve. But almost pointless.

Stripe kit is a must. Home made or prefabbed. They make a big difference IMO.

Good luck.

I am deciding on what to get this year myself. I sold all but my old WB last Fall.

I agree with ClinchValley, about getting a mower with a dealership close by. That was one of the deciding factors for me.

I bought a Simplicity new last yr. 52in cut, 23hp Kawasaki engine. Things I've learned to help on your search. Simplicity, Snapper, and Ferris are all made by Briggs and Stratton. In the Kawasaki engines there are 3levels. FR=residential, FS=lite duty commercial, FX=heavy duty commercial. I bought the FS series due to a commercial grade engine should last me on my farm a long time, mowing 1.5acres a week. I manage to pay $5200 for mine on a special, normally over 6grand, retails $6800. I'm told if you get a Briggs engine, get their commercial grade, residential sucks. Bobcat mowers are decent but for a higher price they were bit lighter made and had the FR Kawai's.

I got mixed reviews on the new mid mount 100series grasshoppers for what that's worth.

Love my Simplicity.

Evaluate where you will be mowing. Do you have trees to mow around, under? If so, consider a mower with the deck out front as opposed to a mid-mount deck. You'll be able to reach under and around the trees MUCH easier.

I have a hustler raptor 52" cut Kawasaki motor has a commercial deck I've put 3-4 hundred hours on it no problems yet I think the new one's have kohler moters

TB521":2b92jifk said:
I have a hustler raptor 52" cut Kawasaki motor has a commercial deck I've put 3-4 hundred hours on it no problems yet I think the new one's have kohler moters

Looked today. The dealer said all the 2016 hustlers would have kohlers bc hustler and Kawasaki had a falling out. ? So no hustler for me. He showed me a bigdog. Kawasaki FX engine. I really liked it. Built like a tank. Supposedly hustler and bigdog are owned and manufactured by the same parent company. I thought he said exmark owned them. ? Anyway I also looked at a bobcat. Same engine as the bigdog. Same cut. Same hydraulic pump. Both look well built. Both have excellent warranties, with the bigdog having the better with a 7 year limited warranty, pretty dang good if you ask me. $150 difference between the two. Anyone familiar with the bigdog mowers?

My sister just bought a new one with a kohler they told her Kawasaki couldn't keep up I have a rider with a kohler it's 10 years old and never had a problem with it either

Latest posts