TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3qbblywf said:
OK, I can buy it from my supplier, but they have Rumensen 120 - how much would I need of that per bag??
We always fed Bovetec when we custom mixed out mineral, and I feel we are slacking not having it (money savings on feed).
Greatly appreciate your help!!
4 oz to each Monensin 120 would give you 1200 gr/ton monensin

Great - got it coming. Mixing will be tricky - will be kind of hit & miss. Only way will be to pour into 3 bins & disburse 1/3 into each one & mix.
For as long as I can remember, we used to feed it in our mineral. Not only is it good for utilization of their feed, it is a coccidiostat for the calves.
Thank you!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3bgsnovk said:
Great - got it coming. Mixing will be tricky - will be kind of hit & miss. Only way will be to pour into 3 bins & disburse 1/3 into each one & mix.
For as long as I can remember, we used to feed it in our mineral. Not only is it good for utilization of their feed, it is a coccidiostat for the calves.
Thank you!!!
You'll be fine. Both products are very forgiving. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ti3i5sx said:
Thank you!!!
Harbor freight has a cheap 115 volt concrete mixer that works great for mixing minerals.

Appreciate that info, and I'm sure that would provide a much better mixed product but we put out 3 or 4 bags at a time. That would be way too much work. Our mineral feeders this time of year are in 6 different lots.

TexasBred":39r97gef said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":39r97gef said:
OK, I can buy it from my supplier, but they have Rumensen 120 - how much would I need of that per bag??
We always fed Bovetec when we custom mixed out mineral, and I feel we are slacking not having it (money savings on feed).

Try feeding it at 1600 gms per ton which equals 200 mg per head per day at 4 oz feed rate. Gives better cocci control and higher feed efficiency. Monensin is not labeled for free choice while bovatec is.

bmoore87":pam3u18i said:
TexasBred":pam3u18i said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":pam3u18i said:

Try feeding it at 1600 gms per ton which equals 200 mg per head per day at 4 oz feed rate. Gives better cocci control and higher feed efficiency. Monensin is not labeled for free choice while bovatec is.
No but companies make it everyday (just as you suggested above) and advise to mix the mineral with feed knowing full well most will be fed free choice. There is a point of diminishing return so don't get carried away thinking the more I include the more gain I'll get. Increased feed efficiency only works to a point. Manufacturer recommended levels are more than enough.

Rumensin: Mature reproducing beef cows

For improved feed efficiency when receiving supplemental feed: Feed continuously at a rate of 50 to 200 mg/hd/d

200mg is labeled rate and gets you the highest feed efficiency. you feed less than that it goes down per elanco rep.

Yes people do. Shouldnt have issues with cows if your consistent but know people who had problems when calves got in the feeder.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":21640r08 said:
This is going in my free-choice mineral. I always (in the past) fed Bovatec. Is this a problem with newborns/calves?
No because they probably won't touch it. You can by milk replacer with Bovatec.

Yes, agree with TB you should be fine. Bovatec is safe for calves and much harder to overdose on.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2s2y3vf2 said:
but, I am using Rumensin not Bovatec.
Jeanne there are companies making mineral with Monensin but I still question how much mineral a week old calf would consume. I use to feed a calf starter with monensin to all our dairy calves but can't recall the inclusion rate etc.

TexasBred said:
For a hi mag mineral it looks pretty good. Often times it seems companies cut corners on hi mag mineral but the vitamin levels, zinc, copper, selenium. Could use a bit more phos. but not absolutely necessary. Should work for you.

How do these look? I've been using Kent for years now.

Framework 365 Mineral® MG
Brood cows may experience tetany when grazing lush pasture or low-energy stalk fields and during periods of stress. Lush, cool season, spring grass and wheat pasture present the greatest threat for grass tetany. To help prevent grass tetany, offer Kent MG Mineral free-choice 3 to 4 weeks before cows are turned out on pasture and during the pre- and post-calving phase.
Winter tetany occurs when cows consume excess amounts of low-magnesium forage (stalks) with minimal amounts of grain. Offering Kent MG mineral and Kent EnergiLass Super Hi-Mag 12 or MG mineral and grain will help reduce the incidence of winter tetany.
Feeding Directions Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium (Ca), min
7.2%
Calcium (Ca), max
8.6%
Phosphorus (P), min
3.75%
Salt (NaCl), min
13.5%
Salt (NaCl), max
16.2%
Magnesium (Mg), min
12.0%
Potassium (K), min
0.1%
Copper (Cu), min
1450 ppm
Manganese (Mn), min
4950 ppm
Selenium (Se), min
26.4 ppm
Zinc (Zn), min
4750 ppm
Vitamin A, min
237,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D3, min
19,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, min
190 IU/lb

Framework 365 Mineral® ADE
During lactation, the cow is providing nutrient-rich milk to a rapidly growing calf at the same time pasture quality begins to deteriorate because of grass maturity and dry late summer conditions. The result is a nutrient-deficient cow that may become thin and produce a weak calf next spring.
Kent ADE mineral provided free-choice along with Kent EnergiLass 20 or grain will aid the cow through this phase. A quality creep feeding program will also help by reducing the calf's dependency on the cow's milk.
Feeding Directions Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium (Ca), min
15.3%
Calcium (Ca), max
18.3%
Phosphorus (P), min
7.5%
Salt (NaCl), min
13.5%
Salt (NaCl), max
16.2%
Magnesium (Mg), min
0.5%
Potassium (K), min
0.15%
Copper (Cu), min
1450 ppm
Manganese (Mn), min
4950 ppm
Selenium (Se), min
26.4 ppm
Zinc (Zn), min
4750 ppm
Vitamin A, min
380,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D3, min
100,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, min
375 IU/lb

BFE both minerals are very typical for the purposes stated for use. The high mag like most hi mag minerals will have calcium and phosphorus reduced but with good levels of zinc, manganese, copper, cobalt, selenium and vitamins so as long as it is palatable it should do the job for you. The 2nd mineral is just a good all around mineral with guarantees much in line with most other minerals so it too should work fine. No idea how mineral is priced in your area but the Hi Mag shouldn't be over $18-20 a bag and the other maybe $24-25 (guessing). Best wishes.

opinion on this for free choice cant post the dang pics..why is it so hard on here ..dangit..

comsumption of the generic tsc range mineral has basically stopped..20 hd..cows and calf...bout 30 total don't even use a bag a month..free choice salt and mineral blocks as well.
feed store expert rec trying this..pricey as all git out tho

redi pak cattle and horse
cobalt 25
copper 1760
iodine 12
iron 2000
manganses 3750
selenium 35.2
zinc 7505
all ppm obviuosly

I use a custom mineral from a local feed mill. My cows are barely touching it but they are salt crazy. I'm keeping mineral available so if things change it'll be there for them. Our weather has been so wet that I believe the grass is different and they don't want mineral. We're drying off and getting hot which will change the grass quality. Bet they start eating it real soon. I just hope their avoidance didn't affect breeding.

Cows won't "pick & choose" "the right food" if given a choice. They crave the salt. Loose mineral should have salt in it so that they consume the needed minerals. No salt should be offered separately if you want them to consume the minerals.