TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

RockyRoad this is only MY OPINION.

In our area, Vigortone makes the best mineral. If you can get Vigortone, I personally don't think you'll ever go back. With that being said, I've fed numerous different kinds. Any mineral is better than no mineral. TexasBred can look at the label you posted and offer some good advice.

As far as testing the grass, I've never tested the grass itself. I do pull yearly soil samples and test my hay every year. Both are very valuable tools and have saved me lots of dollars.

I rotate between this and Southern States breeder mineral. Both TJ, and Lumber City Hardware support The Three Rivers Chapter of GCA. And our local FRM dealer Chasmar doesn't support GCA, and I try not to support them.

JMJ Farms":3gkqfiyd said:
Vigortone makes good products IMO but they are a bit pricey I agree. I wonder sometimes how much extra you pay for the "brand name". Kinda like our own food. I know that nabisco vanilla wafers taste better than store brand, but are they one in the same other than taste?

I was brought up feeding cows grass, cheap hay, and maybe a little grain. No minerals. Very little worming. When it became my money invested I started learning about nutrition. Learning how to grow quality grass and hay, learning about vitamin and mineral requirements in different stages of production, non lactating, lactating, and so forth. And I still get real confused at times (probably because of strategic labeling by the feed companies) it's nice to be able to ask folks on here that know way more than me and get an educated answer. I appreciate you TB, and all the others who offer their time to help me on a weekly basis :tiphat:

I agree on the Vigortone. Good consistent quality product. Not cheap, but worth it IMO.

My feed supplier also sells KayDee and CHS/Payback, but he now feeds Vigortone to his own cattle. He took over the Vigortone dealership from a competitive feed supplier in town that went out of business.

Every spring it seemed like there was some kind of discount special on Vigortone. I'd buy a few bags at a time just about every time I went to town to get me through until that time. When the discount deal materialized, I would buy a pallet of mineral and it would last most of the year.

True Grit Farms":16u3fiyq said:

I rotate between this and Southern States breeder mineral. Both TJ, and Lumber City Hardware support The Three Rivers Chapter of GCA. And our local FRM dealer Chasmar doesn't support GCA, and I try not to support them.

Pretty good looking mineral TGF. Combination of oxides and sulfates, well fortified with the exception of Selenium which should be higher in a mineral with a 2 oz. per head per day consumption rate.

Thanks TB. I've tried alot of different types and brands of mineral. Seems like the redder the color the less your getting mineral and vitamin wise?

True Grit Farms":3620qj31 said:
Thanks TB. I've tried alot of different types and brands of mineral. Seems like the redder the color the less your getting mineral and vitamin wise?
A shame they won't leave it natural colored without the added red pigment. Does absolutely nothing but run the cost up and if it's red iron oxide it throws a ton of iron into the mix which inhibits the absorption of copper. This mineral should work for you.

I was told by someone I trust that a mineral that has really good ingredients will include Copper Chloride.

Not a lot of choices near where I live. I go with the Purina Wind and Rain Fly Control. What do you think of it? Very good post and information.

Pointer1160":1fc0t21e said:
Not a lot of choices near where I live. I go with the Purina Wind and Rain Fly Control. What do you think of it? Very good post and information.

Pointer here is what I've been using for a couple of years now: http://countrystore.biz/doc/AllSeason7_complete_AV4.pdf

All of the zinc, managanese, copper and cobalt comes from chelated minerals. You'll see them disclosed in the list of ingredients as amino acid complexes. I add IGR myself. About the only thing PMI makes that I'll feed to cattle.

TexasBred":2u7kw0fy said:
Pointer1160":2u7kw0fy said:

Pointer here is what I've been using for a couple of years now: http://countrystore.biz/doc/AllSeason7_complete_AV4.pdf

All of the zinc, managanese, copper and cobalt comes from chelated minerals. You'll see them disclosed in the list of ingredients as amino acid complexes. I add IGR myself. About the only thing PMI makes that I'll feed to cattle.

TB, how do you go about mixing in the IGR? Little at a time or bag at a time? How much more cost effective is buying the IGR seperate? Thanks

J&D Cattle":29ko3nnt said:
TB, how do you go about mixing in the IGR? Little at a time or bag at a time? How much more cost effective is buying the IGR seperate? Thanks
J&D I think it adds about $5 to the cost of a bag of mineral. I add 4 oz. of Altosid that I get from a feed manufacturer and mix it into one bag of mineral. Not a perfect mix I know but do the best I can and will give the same concentation as the minerals you buy containing IGR. As far as I know PMI doesn't make the mineral I use with IGR so I have to add it.

rockroadseminole said:

"While we're on the FRM train... How about this for a free choice mineral for bred cows? It's about $20 a bag, and I'm a little lost in the mineral department. "

TexasBred, do you have a comment on this mineral I've been using? You seem to be the board's guru on beakers, Bunsen burners, and all other science project questions.

TexasBred":2lu9tezq said:
J&D Cattle":2lu9tezq said:
J&D I think it adds about $5 to the cost of a bag of mineral. I add 4 oz. of Altosid that I get from a feed manufacturer and mix it into one bag of mineral. Not a perfect mix I know but do the best I can and will give the same concentation as the minerals you buy containing IGR. As far as I know PMI doesn't make the mineral I use with IGR so I have to add it.
You might ask a sale rep, or region rep about that because I can get AS 7.5 AV 4 with IGR. Unless they don't have it in your region.

TexasBred":32xcg281 said:
J&D Cattle":32xcg281 said:

My cheapness was curious if it would be more cost effective to add it separately. I feed 7.5 Complete fly control now with good results. Thanks TB.

sim.-ang.king":pbcngw31 said:
TexasBred":pbcngw31 said:
J&D Cattle":pbcngw31 said:
You might ask a sale rep, or region rep about that because I can get AS 7.5 AV 4 with IGR. Unless they don't have it in your region.
Could be right Sim. Hard enough thought to get them to even stock mineral period. I've never really researched the PMI website to see if they make one.

rockroadseminole":1vukqe6k said:
rockroadseminole":1vukqe6k said:

"While we're on the FRM train... How about this for a free choice mineral for bred cows? It's about $20 a bag, and I'm a little lost in the mineral department. "

TexasBred, do you have a comment on this mineral I've been using? You seem to be the board's guru on beakers, Bunsen burners, and all other science project questions.
Rockroad I'm not much of a guru at anything but just looking at it, it's a typical mineral with more than ad equate guarantees on the microminerals and adequate vitamins. As always I'd like to see some organic minerals in the mix but they are not there. I notice it does not show a recommended consumption rate either.

Old post renewed.
As I mentioned in other thread, my conception rate sky-rocketed after switching to Vigortone + Multimin 90.
My only regret with Vigortone is they do not offer a BREEDER's with ionophores (rumensin or Bovetec)
Is it possible to add it to my program and what is the best way to do this. We feed in those round yellow plastic mineral feeders with the big round rubber top - has 3 dividers in it. I usually add BiCarb in one bin during breeding season. When our grass comes on, I have a lot of trouble with BUN, thus the BiCarb (seems to help).

Jeanne - Simme Valley":vuwkviyp said:
Old post renewed.
As I mentioned in other thread, my conception rate sky-rocketed after switching to Vigortone + Multimin 90.
My only regret with Vigortone is they do not offer a BREEDER's with ionophores (rumensin or Bovetec)
Is it possible to add it to my program and what is the best way to do this. We feed in those round yellow plastic mineral feeders with the big round rubber top - has 3 dividers in it. I usually add BiCarb in one bin during breeding season. When our grass comes on, I have a lot of trouble with BUN, thus the BiCarb (seems to help).
Jeanne you can mix your own IF you can find a supplier that will sell you the Bovatec/Rumensin. 6.4 oz. Bovatec in each bag will give you 1440 gr/ton.

OK, I can buy it from my supplier, but they have Rumensen 120 - how much would I need of that per bag??
We always fed Bovetec when we custom mixed out mineral, and I feel we are slacking not having it (money savings on feed).
Greatly appreciate your help!!

Latest posts