Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks longevity ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Looking at either of these trucks in the crew cab 4 X 4 with the V- 6 options. I won`t be using it like a truck I have a Duramax for that it will just be transportation. I would like to know if any of you have one and how reliable they are once they get past the 75 -100,000 mile range. I`m hoping to be able to pass it down to my daughter in 3 -4 years but if they don`t hold up I may need to look at other options. These have been out for enough years now surely someone has put a bunch of miles on one.

I'm pretty sure they are the same truck as an Isuzu D-max, which are marketed in Europe and Australia. I know a few contractors in the UK that use and abuse them and have had good luck.

I may have wrote that kinda confusing I `m looking at the gas V-6 in the Colorado or Canyon . I use a 3/4 ton Duramax for work but I know they make one in the smaller trucks I doubt It`s worth the extra money for one if we aren`t working it.

We have Holden Colorado's here, Holden being a General Motors company. I have just bought a new Colorado for my wife and to tow a 22' caravan. It is a 2.8 litre diesel with a 6 speed auto. The diesel is the only motor available here. We only got it just before Xmas but so far very impressed with it. We are taking off Sunday on our first trip with the van.

The Dmax here has some similarities but has different motor and transmissions (all Isuzu diesel)

Ken

Why are diesels so much more popular other places than the US? When I was in Europe they were in all kinds of small cars, Jeeps and things with diesels. Sounds like they are popular in Australia too. Why not here?

To the thread, you sound like a GM man, but did you know the Ford Ranger is coming back?

A neighbor has one and she puts it through the ringer, it has held up for several years. I remember test driving one when they first came out, as I believe they had a five cylinder then, the cab was like a tin can and I wasn't impressed, but I am sure they have improved since then. Judging from my neighbor, the way she treats hers, I would say it is a good truck. I said about five years ago the transmission want last as she guns it every time she starts out and flies up and down the road. It must be a tough truck.

HDRider":1tph9x7m said:
Why are diesels so much more popular other places than the US? When I was in Europe they were in all kinds of small cars, Jeeps and things with diesels. Sounds like they are popular in Australia too. Why not here?

To the thread, you sound like a GM man, but did you know the Ford Ranger is coming back?

Emissions laws against NOx and particulate matter and much stricter in the US, both of which a diesel produces plenty of.

I don't see the appeal of compact trucks. Fuel mileage is only slighter better if not at all, they're not much cheaper, and do not have the capacity.

I want to say that the majority of problems were with the 5 cylinder.

Atimm693":320azi42 said:
HDRider":320azi42 said:

Emissions laws against NOx and particulate matter and much stricter in the US, both of which a diesel produces plenty of.

I don't see the appeal of compact trucks. Fuel mileage is only slighter better if not at all, they're not much cheaper, and do not have the capacity.

The EPA is the reason we pay more and get less in diesel vehicles. Small diesel pickups can get unbelievable fuel mileage, Volkswagen, Toyota and Izuzu all produced small diesel trucks in the 80's. Every model achieved better than 50 mpg. The government creating jobs for it's minions has cost US trillions in the US of A.

Atimm693":3u32kkvw said:
HDRider":3u32kkvw said:

If you believe the ratings. Son in law just bought a 2013 F150 and it gets 15 miles/gal when the sticker said much higher.

Brute 23":3d6p7kxw said:
They are not bad trucks for the prices but if you can swing it the Toyota Tacoma still owns that market. They are more expensive up front but they last FOR..EV..ER and the resale is great.
The Toyota Tacoma is a good small truck but you better like stopping for fuel. A small fuel tank and poor fuel mileage is not for me. My Ram 3500 4x4 gets better fuel mileage than a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, and has twice the range. Heck I even let the Tacoma draft me for 1400 miles and it didn't help. Over twice the truck by weight and better fuel mileage, I don't get it. At least the new Toyota Tundra has a 38 gallon tank, but at only14 mpg on the highway it needs more.

True Grit Farms":cgmx9b9s said:
Brute 23":cgmx9b9s said:
They are not bad trucks for the prices but if you can swing it the Toyota Tacoma still owns that market. They are more expensive up front but they last FOR..EV..ER and the resale is great.
The Toyota Tacoma is a good small truck but you better like stopping for fuel. A small fuel tank and poor fuel mileage is not for me. My Ram 3500 4x4 gets better fuel mileage than a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, and has twice the range. Heck I even let the Tacoma draft me for 1400 miles and it didn't help. Over twice the truck by weight and better fuel mileage, I don't get it. At least the new Toyota Tundra has a 38 gallon tank, but at only14 mpg on the highway it needs more.

I agree, Im not a small truck guy but a lot of people love them.

my dad has a 2012 tacoma. that thing feels like your in a little civic or something its so cramped. hard to get into. bed is so small i'm not sure it'd hold 2 bags of feed.

True Grit Farms":jl7w9e6r said:
Brute 23":jl7w9e6r said:

I downsized from a Chevy K2500 to a 4 cylinder 2wd Ranger. Thought it would be the best thing ever, but it's been the opposite.

It gets 20mpg on a good day. Winter average is closer to 18. I could squeeze 14 out of my Chevy, that's not nearly a big enough difference to justify how limited the Ranger is.

I do my running around in a Nisssan Frontier 4 door V6...love the thing. Runs a hole though the wind, gets about 22 mpg. Only complain is it has a huge turning diameter.

I wish they'd back a small simple Toyota pickup. or a Chevy/Ford for that matter. It would be nice to run around in a 30 mpg diesel 4x4 and would suit 80% of my needs, heck maybe 90%

The Tacoma is a midsize by any measure.

TexasBred":xjl9i70i said:
I do my running around in a Nisssan Frontier 4 door V6...love the thing. Runs a hole though the wind, gets about 22 mpg. Only complain is it has a huge turning diameter.

Well.. that pretty much explains everything..

ddd75":3uc6lx2d said:
TexasBred":3uc6lx2d said:

Well.. that pretty much explains everything..
I'm not as full of shyt as you so don't need a big truck shi-thead.

Latest posts