My Fence Project

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. BR,

The picture of the double brace. I have seen this before, where a fence is braced two directions on a mild angle, but the wire is then wrapped around the post without being tied off. Is the brace actually doing anything in that situation? If the wire was tied off yes, but just wrapped around like it is, seems like a moot point. I have also seen this on straight runs of fence, at pull braces. Maybe more of a question for the fence guys. Thanks.

fasttommy":24bilksh said:
Mr. BR,

The picture of the double brace. I have seen this before, where a fence is braced two directions on a mild angle, but the wire is then wrapped around the post without being tied off. Is the brace actually doing anything in that situation? If the wire was tied off yes, but just wrapped around like it is, seems like a moot point. I have also seen this on straight runs of fence, at pull braces. Maybe more of a question for the fence guys. Thanks.
my answer is it doent matter if the wire runs around the brace or is made off around the post. I do agree that when you have a turn off less than about 45 degrees a brace in line with the fence does not offer its full strength. in these situations I prefer a single pipe post with a diagonal to a deadman perpendicular to the fence. and simply pullaround it. line braces in a straight run are a waste off time and materials imo. the exception being on extremely long stretches. in this case it only servers as place to break the streatchs down into manageable size. for me this is usually about half a mile.

callmefence":2cb9713w said:
fasttommy":2cb9713w said:
Mr. BR,

my answer is it doent matter if the wire runs around the brace or is made off around the post. its main purpose is to simply turn the fence. I do agree that when you have a turn of less than about 45 degrees a brace in line with the fence does not offer its full strength. in these situations I prefer a single pipe post with a diagonal to a deadman perpendicular to the fence. and simply pullaround it. line braces in a straight run are a waste off time and materials imo. the exception being on extremely long stretches. in this case it only servers as place to break the streatchs down into manageable size. for me this is usually about half a mile.

fasttommy":1u0fib1u said:
Mr. BR,

I defer to the fence guys. My comments are as follows:

First, I don't want a brace like the one FFS pictured. I mow along the fence lines and I would prefer not having that obstruction.

Second, there is added strength in the three brace posts versus line posts.

Third, I disagree that it is moot. There is still some redistribution of FORCES. In physics you represent forces with arrows. Refer to force diagram:
2ynmc5t.png

The sum of forces 1 prime and 1 duo is force 2 prime. Granted, force 2 prime is a perpendicular force that would seem to make the brace less efficient but that force is to some extent (not quantified) redistributed to the two lateral brace posts as shown by the primary forces 1 prime and 1 duo.

FN: Capital P is an 8 foot brace post.

Bright Raven":2boolrgv said:
fasttommy":2boolrgv said:
Mr. BR,

First, I don't want a brace like the one FFS pictured. I mow along the fence lines and I would prefer not having that obstruction.

Third, I disagree that it is moot. There is still some redistribution of FORCES. In physics you represent forces with arrows. Refer to force diagram:
2ynmc5t.png

The sum of forces 1 prime and 1 duo is force 2 prime. Granted, force 2 prime is a perpendicular force that would seem to make the brace less efficient but that force is to some extent (not quantified) redistributed to the two lateral brace posts as shown by the primary forces 1 prime and 1 duo.

like it or not..farms is done right

callmefence":1wnkjk7k said:
Bright Raven":1wnkjk7k said:
fasttommy":1wnkjk7k said:
Mr. BR,

2ynmc5t.png

like it or not..farms is done right

Agree. It is a direct force to counteract the perpendicular force of 2 prime. Take that to the bank. But I don't want that. My Fence will outlast me. And I don't want that dam obstruction

Good info and thanks for the opinions. It is a really good looking fence any way you swing it.

In the 4th picture with the double brace, I assume they used it to pull to and just hard stapled to it? Since I don't see any tie offs.

fence_it":2cnljg97 said:
In the 4th picture with the double brace, I assume they used it to pull to and just hard stapled to it? Since I don't see any tie offs.
I Don't know for sure but it looks like they just stretched around it

In the first pic, appears to be a slope. Shouldn't the post be pounded to remain perpendicular to the ground instead of true plumb? (Should be leaned more to the right hand side in pic) or does that not actually matter. What say the professionals?

Ron, the fence looks darn good.
Do you guys not use steel pipe posts there?

bball":22o168ej said:
In the first pic, appears to be a slope. Shouldn't the post be pounded to remain perpendicular to the ground instead of true plumb? (Should be leaned more to the right hand side in pic) or does that not actually matter. What say the professionals?

We always set our posts dead level, no matter the slope.

fence_it":wxbe18xc said:

I think you are right. They pulled around the back side of the brace then brought the wire back on the Side of the posts from the dirction the picture is taken.

bball":10a2xz9q said:

They do lean the corner brace posts in the direction to oppose the force of the stretch. In fact, when Kevin built my first fence about 10 years ago, I ask him why he was not putting the corner posts in "plumb". He explained the reason they don't go in plumb.

I have never seen a pipe post put in the ground in the state of Kentucky. I am sure they must be somewhere but I have not seen it.

Bright Raven":19ld3xnw said:
bball":19ld3xnw said:

They do lean the corner brace posts in the direction to oppose the force of the stretch. In fact, when Kevin built my first fence about 10 years ago, I ask him why he was not putting the corner posts in "plumb". He explained the reason they don't go in plumb.

I have never seen a pipe post put in the ground in the state of Kentucky. I am sure they must be somewhere but I have not seen it.

You ought to have someone take you for a ride on the interstate, Miss Daisy. Pipe on both sides. lol

bball":1op1ux6v said:

Perpendicular to the ground would be a better fence, according to 90% of the world. We usually level everthing, if it can be seen. In the steep back woods hills, I set them perpendicular. If I did that along a road, there'd be too many questions to answer.....

Farm Fence Solutions":1wk0xi8e said:
Bright Raven":1wk0xi8e said:
bball":1wk0xi8e said:

You ought to have someone take you for a ride on the interstate, Miss Daisy. Pipe on both sides. lol

Lol. That is true. But I have never seen a farmer here use pipe.

Bright Raven":z3l9mwn7 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":z3l9mwn7 said:
Bright Raven":z3l9mwn7 said:

Next time you meet me down south, between the Albany stock yards and our place, keep your eyes peeled. I'll buy you a beer if your pipe fence count is right. ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions":1f9b080h said:
Bright Raven":1f9b080h said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1f9b080h said:

Next time you meet me down south, between the Albany stock yards and our place, keep your eyes peeled. I'll buy you a beer if your pipe fence count is right. ;-)

Ok. You found the only farm in Kentucky with pipe fence posts. Lol

Seriously, I have never seen one (didnt say they don't exist) in this area of Kentucky - exception US Highway or Interstates.

BTW: forget the beer, you were suppose to take me crappie fishing. Lol

Latest posts