Haying equipment suggestions for 25 horsepower pto

Help Support CattleToday:

I know a guy that's pulls a 3x3 round baler. Sells the fire out of the hay to horse people.
Looks like a total waste of a lot of labor and time IMO. He paid almost the cost of a Vermeer Rebel for it.

Do you happen to know what brand it is? Also aside from a sickle bar are there any viable mower conditioners that can be operated at a lower horsepower? I have 5-7 Acres at my place and then another 8 Acres at the greenhouse that it would be nice to have baled on time instead of waiting for my custom baler. Thanks

You might review the equipment for small farm operations. I would look at the baler that has net wrap and bales a 4x4. Also keep the tractor you have and buy one with more HP. Maybe 40 to 50. Everyone needs more than one tractor.

That's the thing, I have the finances to either buy equipment to fit my current tractor or sell it and buy a larger used tractor and hay equipment to match its size. Unfortunately I can't do both.

sassafras manor said:
Do you happen to know what brand it is? Also aside from a sickle bar are there any viable mower conditioners that can be operated at a lower horsepower? I have 5-7 Acres at my place and then another 8 Acres at the greenhouse that it would be nice to have baled on time instead of waiting for my custom baler. Thanks

No I don't know the brand. It's green that much I know.

For a cutter, a sicklebar mower, something like a NH472, 7' cut with conditioner rolls should be alright if you don't have too high hay or too steep hills, we did 50 acres with one of those behind a 28hp JD950 (Yanmar).
If you can find an old New Holland baler with it's own engine, that would be good.. Something like this
https://youtu.be/D3GUtbq-3is

Don't need a bunch of big expensive equipment for 15 acres between two places. A #5 JD sickle mower (if you could still find one setting up some where.....like here...). A 258 New Holland rake and a 326 or 336 John Deere square baler will get the job done. But unhindered financials.....go for it.

I'm afraid your on the wrong side of the law of diminishing marginal returns. It would be cheaper for you to buy hay.

I pulled a new holland 66 quite a bit with a 36hp tractor but the key is weight. If its a light tractor the baler will beat it to death if your baling much hay.

Your only option for cutting would be a sickle mower or one of the small drum mowers built for compact tractors although I'd imagine they are still a little too heavy.

Nesikep said:
For a cutter, a sicklebar mower, something like a NH472, 7' cut with conditioner rolls should be alright if you don't have too high hay or too steep hills, we did 50 acres with one of those behind a 28hp JD950 (Yanmar).
If you can find an old New Holland baler with it's own engine, that would be good.. Something like this
https://youtu.be/D3GUtbq-3is

My Dad had a 420 with Wisconsin on it, dragged it around with a Farmall 100. Look around you might be able to find a self propelled swather on the cheap and an old basket rake.

Here's the tractor we used for years.. was it undersized? certainly, but it did it.. Sold it at 5500 hours because we knew if we kept it up the transmission was going to die, Engine was perfect though

Small Farm Innovations in Caldwell, Tx. sells a small round baler that may be available at a dealer closer to you.
Add a Drum Mower for a great cutter at a great price; several models available....I now prefer Tar River which comes out of the Carolinas but I bought mine from a dealer in Kansas and had it drop shipped to me from NC.
Then a JD 500 or 600 series tricycle roller bar, side discharge or whatever the local name, is a super rake and is easily pulled by just about anything.

You can pickup with a hay dolly, a pull behind (any vehicle) device with 2 DOT approved highway tires type thing to transport the bale, or get yourself a 3 pt hay spear and transport it with your baling tractor. If you have a Front End Loader, get a spear for it which is the easiest way to move them. A 25 hp FEL will be more than plenty to transport those small bales.

Walla.....you are in the haying business.

Later on you can add a "tedder", 2 basket from ASC also out of the Carolinas for spreading clumps of hay where you are baling irregularly shaped fields and wind up with clumping. The tedder just scatters the hay allowing more contact with the environment for quick, uniform drying. Really a necessity if you hay in weather challenging areas.

Caustic Burno said:
sassafras manor said:

No I don't know the brand. It's green that much I know.

A stand alone crimper, for the crops requiring crimping, pull type is a New Holland 404. Popular before the advent of the MOwer COnditioner available back in the 1960's like the JD 1207 (7 ft) or 1209 (9 ft for larger equipment).

I find that unless you are cutting Sudan-Sorghum "Haygrazer" type crops, the tedder works very well as a "crimper" even though it's main task is scattering hay. The tines rotate at a reasonably high speed and when they smack the clippings, inertia in the tine overcomes the resistance of the stem of the grass lying on the ground and causes it to "kink", thus allowing an exit point for moisture. Going out to a field that has been teddered and picking up a stem of grass like would be with Dallisgrass, or Fescue, or Rye, or such, you will find half a dozen cracks in one stem. Spend your money on the tedder and forget the crimper.

Thanks for all of the helpful info. I already have a bale spear on my rear 3 pt to move our current large round bales out of the field/feed during the winter. Lots to consider.

I will add that I also ran a case 8420 baler with a Mahindra 3616. It actually was less work on the tractor than the square baler is.

All the baking was done on flat ground. The biggest issue is the baler with a roll of hay in it is pushing 3000lbs.

sassafras manor said:
Aside from getting a larger tractor are there any worthwhile options for haying equipment for a 30 horse engine/25 horse pto tractor? Thanks again
Look fora 380 Hesston baler should be bought for around $4000. IH 7 foot 1300 sickle mower and a pull type side delivery rake John Deere New Holland are two that comes to mind. The baler lists 40 hp but you tractor will probable handle it. Check on line for tractorhouse and look for something close to you.

Thanks for the advice. Lots to consider. Talking with my neighbor last night we came to the conclusion that if I purchase everything aside from a baler and cut the same time as him that he would bale for me. In exchange for some of the baling costs I would also help gim cut, tet and rake. That would allow me to use my tractor and limit my equipment needs.

Latest posts