14-5-38 fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
I have access to just over 1,000 lbs of free 14-5-38 fertilizer and was wondering what your thoughts were about applying it to one of our small 5 acre hay fields?

Hard to say if the P and K will really be helpful without a soil test but that would be 28 units of N (over 5 acres). Results wouldn't be earth shattering, but for that price why not?

If its free heck yes. Sure wont hurt anything.
Shouldn't hurt anything. I seriously doubt you have any nutrient excess on your hayfield and would bet that you don't, and I'm not a betting man. That said, it would be prudent to get a soil test and see what you actually do need. Question: If you don't need the fertilizer, why take the time, effort and money to get it and apply it even if it's 'free'. Truth be told, anything that is listed as 'free' never really is. That said, there may truly be a benefit to getting the fertilizer, but I'd want to know what that benefit is myself first if I was offered the 'free' fertilizer.

Shouldn't hurt anything. I seriously doubt you have any nutrient excess on your hayfield and would bet that you don't, and I'm not a betting man. That said, it would be prudent to get a soil test and see what you actually do need. Question: If you don't need the fertilizer, why take the time, effort and money to get it and apply it even if it's 'free'. Truth be told, anything that is listed as 'free' never really is. That said, there may truly be a benefit to getting the fertilizer, but I'd want to know what that benefit is myself first if I was offered the 'free' fertilizer.
I agree that everyone needs a soil test. I also have never seen a soil test on hay or pasture that didnt need something added. Its 1000 lb so grab it.

For clarification, I work at a large wholesale greenhouse and the fertilizer is in 25lb bags and has been kept dry in our warehouse. It is a blend that we no longer use and I have been given permission to make it go away. We had a dry year last year so the hay field was grazed instead of harvested and therefore wasn't fertilized other than dragging the field each time the cows were moved off to displace cow patties. Granted I haven't done a soil test, I figured any available nitrogen I could put on the field was better than nothing. We have an abundance of grass this year and with rain moving back in early next week I'm planning to spread it Sunday afternoon when things dry out some. Thanks!

Latest posts