20 month old bull

Help Support CattleToday:

We made sure to feed our 10 mo old replacement heifers before this rain....they sure were hungry, they area always hungry..30 degrees and pouring rain this morning..

cowgirl8":sirmb978 said:
We made sure to feed our 10 mo old replacement heifers before this rain....they sure were hungry..30 degrees and pouring rain this moring..

Looks like your pasture is totally dormant and brown. My cows continue to forage. They leave the hay feed area and forage part of the day. Pasture has held on longer this winter than I can remember.

inyati13":28bknxrv said:
cowgirl8":28bknxrv said:
We made sure to feed our 10 mo old replacement heifers before this rain....they sure were hungry..30 degrees and pouring rain this moring..

Looks like your pasture is totally dormant and brown. My cows continue to forage. They leave the hay feed area and forage part of the day. Pasture has held on longer this winter than I can remember.
We're getting rain for the first time in several winters. Looking forward to a lot of spring grazing just around the corner..

mwj":2pay2n1p said:
With that big of an operation, why are you using ''bag'' feed?
Went to pick up feed and their hopper was out. Had no choice to get it in bags. Totally hate bags, but gave it to us for the same price as bulk rate..

ALACOWMAN":2j2w4n7q said:
With as many head as you run,looks like you would have a hammer mill...
The only ones we're feeding are the weanling heifers and just 4 bags. So its no biggie using bags. All the other herds get protein blocks and hay.

From what i can tell, we've gotten at least one calf out of the red bull that i can tell 100% is his. Got what i hoped....In person its even more apparent. I called these bulls at first, fluffy....when you see this calf up against the others, you'd say.....he's fluffy. Its almost like he's been at a calf show and someone has groomed him for show..and against the others his age, he's giant...

Good chance they're both his. And with a mongrel bull, that's the level of variation you should come to expect.

bulldurham":1dx3ls35 said:
Good chance they're both his. And with a mongrel bull, that's the level of variation you should come to expect.
Or the smaller calf could be Fluffy's and the big calf could be from one of the Angus bulls. ;-)

Regardless of who the sire is (or the owner) that bigger calf is the type I'd like to feed out.

KNERSIE":grryoi5j said:
Regardless of who the sire is (or the owner) that bigger calf is the type I'd like to feed out.
Its is isnt it...The sim/angus bull produces a type of calf you can see on the left, he's very consistent. With all the talk about not using a bull that puts ear on your calves i'd think most of you would know the difference between 2 totally different types of bulls in a heard of cows. I had hoped i could tell, but before any hit the ground i did not know if the difference would be noticeable. Its obvious as you can see in the picture although the hair isnt as apparent in the picture. In person, the hair is totally different.....so why is it so impossible for me to tell which bull sired what? One bull sim/angus, short black hair white face.....The other mixed, pretty much unknown %, sim, angus simbra brangus.....solid red, droopy ears and strangely fluffy hair...You'd have to be blind to not be able to tell. And since he was just a yearling, i'd expect very few to be his...

So last year when I put a black sim angus in with some heifers and a red simmental bull in with some 3 yr olds, I should have obviously known which calves were spit out this year based on colour alone?

Turns out the 3 yr olds had red calves as expected.. But jeeze, wouldnt you know - the heifers threw a couple red calves too! Heck, one even came out traditional sim colour (and size) out of a tan heifer and black bull. That red bull must have snuck cross country bout 10 miles and got back home again without me knowing, since at no time was the red bull ever around the heifers on my watch, and there is no other bull anywhere close to here.

Come to think of it, only one calf of those 6 came out black, and he was a twin with a red one! The bulls must have both got a poke at her that night!

See the calves are obviously different anyone can see that!

2for1.jpg

Latest posts